Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37633365.html

Seems a no brainer for all parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Seen that earlier, there's no quotes from McCarthy, or any induction from Bamford that he's be interested in declaring, the article includes the mistake below, and that's before you consider the already capped Curtis as outside the frame
    At this point, my reaction is "Meh" - Long, Obafemi, Robinson, Maguire, McGoldrick - that should be our strike force for the qualifiers, with an option for Connolly, Hogan or O'Brien if they hit form over the next few months - of the multi-nationality players of that group, only Hogan made us wait, and that was just for a few months because an agent got in his ear - apart from that all of them put themselves forward without much chasing on our part. Plus when would we blood him in? All the others (with the exception of Obafemi and Connolly) have at least a couple of caps under their belts plus more time training with the National Team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't know Sam, I see your point but I still think he'd be a good addition. I don't think he'd take much 'blooding', he's ready-made (albeit with plenty still to prove) compared to some of those younger guys. He's a more natural number nine than Robinson or McGoldrick so I don't think it's an either/or choice against all of those listed. I think he has more to offer than Hogan or O'Brien if he can come close to recapturing his Championship poty form. Big IF, I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I’m with you, DeLorean. I think our strike options are better than O’Neill stated/utilized but that doesn’t mean Bamford wouldn’t be a strong addition, and as you say, probably the most natural No. 9 potentially available to us.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Bamford is technically superior to anything we currently have in the squad. And, as Del says, can play the number 9. Would be a very strong addition for us.

6. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I don't know Sam, I see your point but I still think he'd be a good addition. I don't think he'd take much 'blooding', he's ready-made (albeit with plenty still to prove) compared to some of those younger guys. He's a more natural number nine than Robinson or McGoldrick so I don't think it's an either/or choice against all of those listed. I think he has more to offer than Hogan or O'Brien if he can come close to recapturing his Championship poty form. Big IF, I know.
    Worth remembering that when Bamford won POTY he was outscored by Daryl Murphy. So he could well be a good addition but I wouldn't be using that as a benchmark for anything.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Not really sure about this Patrick Bambford story, this has been mooted so many times in the past and nothing concrete has come forth in terms of a firm commitment from Bambford.The previous management never seemed to clarify the situation one way or the other, Mick McCarthy will be a lot more proactive in his pursuit of players he deems good enough but somehow i will not be holding my breath on this one. For Bambford its either now or never.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Worth remembering that when Bamford won POTY he was outscored by Daryl Murphy. So he could well be a good addition but I wouldn't be using that as a benchmark for anything.
    Murphy was unlucky not to win the award to be honest, but that wouldn't really factor into my thinking one way or the other. We just have to go back that far to find a time when Bamford was playing and scoring regularly, but he's still only 25.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph 1 View Post
    Not really sure about this Patrick Bambford story, this has been mooted so many times in the past and nothing concrete has come forth in terms of a firm commitment from Bambford.The previous management never seemed to clarify the situation one way or the other, Mick McCarthy will be a lot more proactive in his pursuit of players he deems good enough but somehow i will not be holding my breath on this one. For Bambford its either now or never.
    The way you've written his name makes me think that maybe the previous management were chasing Bamber Gascoigne...

England has always been Bamfords stated preference but he has also talked about playing for us. We would be going into this with eyes open about how Irish he does/doesn't feel. I personally have no problem with it. Similar to Hogan.

January 2017
    “I’d love to be called up for England,” ambitious Bamford said on his return to the Riverside. “That’s the pinnacle of someone’s career, to play for the national team.

“It is still my aim to play for England but I have my Mum’s side of the family who are all Irish, and they are pushing me.

“But I think I am English and we will see what happens. But I’m not going to rule out either option.”
    Last edited by SkStu; 18/12/2018 at 4:30 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    “It is still my aim to play for England but I have my Mum’s side of the family who are all Irish, and they are pushing me.

“But I think I am English and we will see what happens. But I’m not going to rule out either option.”
    By the sounds of that, Bamford is probably on the wrong side of the gut test, though isn't it curious for him to say "I think I am English"'

If we can safely rule out Descartes' cogito, ergo sum argument "I think therefore I am", the lad only thinks he is English.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    By the sounds of that, Bamford is probably on the wrong side of the gut test, though isn't it curious for him to say "I think I am English"'

If we can safely rule out Descartes' cogito, ergo sum argument "I think therefore I am", the lad only thinks he is English.
    Do we still do Post of the Month?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    We could do with a bit of Wham Bam !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Mick needs to get his arse back to Celtic to recruit Mikey Johnston pronto.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Mick needs to get his arse back to Celtic to recruit Mikey Johnston pronto.
    Yes indeed > http://www.celticfc.net/news/15488?f...DDF_CHLM66usMY
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Scored for Celtic against Motherwell big deal.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    This lad is Scottish what are we trying to do? He has played up through all their age groups if he wants to play for us he comes over no way we should be trying to chase him and unsettle him just like the north should leave Dunne alone .we made fools of ourselves with the lad from rangers last season by bringing someone in who clearly was in no way interested but wanted to stick it to the Scottish fa.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    This lad is Scottish what are we trying to do? He has played up through all their age groups if he wants to play for us he comes over no way we should be trying to chase him and unsettle him just like the north should leave Dunne alone .we made fools of ourselves with the lad from rangers last season by bringing someone in who clearly was in no way interested but wanted to stick it to the Scottish fa.
    What lad from rangers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Striker, wasn't he? Think he played for Ireland and Scotland within a few weeks of each other

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Matthew Shiels, played for Ireland and Scotland u18s in the same month.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Scored for Celtic against Motherwell big deal.
    Suggestion unrelated to that goal - however time will tell if he is a big deal or not .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Striker, wasn't he? Think he played for Ireland and Scotland within a few weeks of each other
    striker who is now a full back in rangers reserves I think a transition that has a real Irish feel to it! We seemed to jump in there two footed when his dad complained scotland were overlooking him. Left a bad taste I'm all for lads who feel Irish been brought in and we should totally make that clear and encourage it but this was just indulging a disgruntled dad. Be a bit like Cassidy at warlord been called up for England cause he was annoyed he didn't play in the euros and walked out