Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 161 of 257 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    again - we have no idea of his current international status. If England still hold his registry, then there's nothing we can do only wait.
    Like I said - I'm not going to criticise the manager for not picking a player that is not available to him.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Perhaps it was just a shot at the "Call Him Up MON" armchair pundits who obsess over any Irish player who strings a few passes together at a mid-table Eredivisie side/scores a couple of screamers in the LOI/plays a game in the UEFA Youth League/is mentioned in a "Irish Teenagers at Premier League Clubs" list.
    I agree with the sentiment there sam, particularly with players who are Irish qualified; which is almost like our giddy equivalent of the transfer market.

In this case however I'm more with liamoo11. Crowley has bags of ability; has signalled his intent to join up with us; plays in a position where we have a paucity of options; and has significant enough experience at this point. Assuming paperwork isn't an issue, it begins to look negligent on O'Neill's part.

That said...I'll wait for more detail on it before passing judgment.
    Last edited by The Fly; 07/11/2018 at 6:18 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I can't agree with any of that. Crowley has already at age 21 made 42 appearances in the top flight in Holland as well as more than 30 appearances at league 1 or Dutch 2nd division. He plays in a position we are sadly lacking in and brings us a totally different midfield option than anyone else in the squad. We have just picked a centre half who has played around 10 games for hearts in a league no stronger than Holland with his only other football at league two and conference level. We deserve what we get as Irish football fans if we think overlooking Crowley is justified until he plays in the championship
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I agree with the sentiment there sam, particularly with players who are Irish qualified; which is almost like our giddy equivalent of the transfer market.

In this case however I'm more with liamoo11. Crowley has bags of ability; has signalled his intent to join up with us; plays in a position where we have a paucity of options; and has significant enough experience at this point. Assuming paperwork isn't an issue, it begins to look negligent on O'Neill's part.

That said...I'll wait for more detail on it before passing judgment.
    Just to clarify, I was only offering an alternative interpretation of what MON was quoted as having said - someone here interpreted him as being snidely dismissive of both Byrne and Crowley - I saw it as him just dampening down over-excitement about a player who is just breaking through. Certainly Crowley seems to doing very well this season, but remember, Byrne played 27 games in the Eredivisie before the age of twenty and then got a loan move to a big Championship club and it seemed he was on the verge of a breakthrough, with many people urging MON to cap him... and then things just started to drift away - and remember, he still has over 80 senior appearances under his belt at the age of 22.

So it's not entirely unreasonable for MON to want to ensure that he is the Real Deal before capping him, particularly as this transitional period of friendlies and Nations League games comes to an end and the focus turns to the qualifiers proper in March. The bar for Crowley does actually have to be higher because there's no longer an opportunity to give him 30 minutes in a meaningless friendly to see how he gets on without major negative consequence (as MON has done numerous times before). If Crowley is to make his international debut next year, it will be in an important competitive fixture, so we need to be more certain that he is ready (although there may be an opportunity if we have an early home game against the lowest-ranked team in our group).

That said, it's great that he has come on board and he does look like an excellent prospect and, as you both say, would bring a new dimension to our midfield that would give it added attacking impetus that we sorely need.

4. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    With Crowley, I think you have to also take into account that he's probably not eligible yet. His interview in the Evening Herald recently didn't suggest he'd gone and got all his paperwork sorted the way Robinson or McGoldrick did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Crowley declaring his intentions to play for Ireland again. And probably showing some of that 'confidence' MON was talking about too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...owley-leaving/

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Crowley declaring his intentions to play for Ireland again. And probably showing some of that 'confidence' MON was talking about too.

Would have to agree with you Sean, hundred per cent on this. We do not have any creative force in the middle of the Irish team, and it's not like we can affort to pass up on Dan Crowley. What is the hold up. I honestly think MON is trying to get him on board (I sincerely hope he is) but for some reason it is not happening. What is the bloody hold up?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts

Here's the relevant paragraph regarding Ireland (although it's worth reading the whole article) -

"Having played for England and Ireland at Under-17s level Crowley wants to declare for Ireland. His Irish grandfather moved to the east Midlands from Waterford and Crowley spent his childhood summers in Ireland. Most of his family support Celtic. He is thankful for what English football has given him but he feels Irish and has always supported the team. “When I have gone away with England I have never felt like it was me” he says. “You are not allowed an opinion for England. If you do you are seen to have a bad attitude.”
    That's good to see.

I can see the quips coming with the last line though.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I think both of his paternal grandparents are Irish though. And his mother, from what I remember, has an Irish name.

I have a notion that his paternal grandparents moved back to Waterford upon retirement. I think this was concluded in another thread a while back.

It's good that all the pics teasing us of him holding his little brother in an Ireland kit weren't in vain.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Here's the relevant paragraph regarding Ireland (although it's worth reading the whole article) -

That's good to see.

I can see the quips coming with the last line though.
    hilarious stuff at the end sure sign he never played for Paul doolin for us underage!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    With all the recent talk of our paltry forward options I forgot about Jutkiewicz from Birmingham. I’ve no idea what his strengths are but is he worth a look now instead of playing the like of O’Brien and Robinson out of position at the top.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Was thinking the same at lunchtime. Scored once in the derby match today and looks a big uncompromising type of player. Worth assessing alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Was thinking the same at lunchtime. Scored once in the derby match today and looks a big uncompromising type of player. Worth assessing alright.
    He strikes you as a 'Mick' type of player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    He strikes you as a 'Mick' type of player.
    I was thinking the same about Jutkiewicz and he seems keen judging by quotes over the years. Surprised nothing materialised with O' Neill regime in the last year. He definitely looks like a good option even off the bench in the last 20 considering the football we've been playing.

The 'big man' option needs to be explored, even a belated Cillian Sheridan call up as well ...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    With all the recent talk of our paltry forward options I forgot about Jutkiewicz from Birmingham. I’ve no idea what his strengths are but is he worth a look now instead of playing the like of O’Brien and Robinson out of position at the top.
    Up front looks like O'Brien's position to me.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Up front looks like O'Brien's position to me.
    He has been used more on the left wing for Millwall which explains the Dr's comments.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Kieran Dowell is eligible and defiantly worth looking at.Very good talent. But did start recently for England u21

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ybig View Post
    Kieran Dowell is eligible and defiantly worth looking at.Very good talent. But did start recently for England u21
    I suppose he could plug a hole !

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    There's a lad by the name of Eamonn Brophy who scored 2 goals for Kilmarnock today. He's from Glasgow and started with Celtic. He's 22 and has played underage for the Scots. With a name like that he must be as eligible for Ireland as I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    There’s a Todd Cantwell socred for Norwich today who I was wondering the same about earlier... not even sure if Cantwell is all that Irish but I knew a family by the name and then there’s Noel obviously.

No Irish connections evident online anyway.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    There’s a Todd Cantwell socred for Norwich today who I was wondering the same about earlier... not even sure if Cantwell is all that Irish but I knew a family by the name and then there’s Noel obviously.

No Irish connections evident online anyway.
    Norman Irish name according to a quick google. Found throughout English speaking places too.

25. Thanks From: