Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 257 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donnymark View Post
    just to add that we foreign born Irish are a mixed up bunch.out of the 3 of us born to tipp and cork parents 1 is totally Irish and into Irish things-me, 1 is half Irish half english-me brother and the 3rd is purely english-me sister.all had exactly the same upbringing and holidays and all the other connections here and back in Ireland.this of course doesnt mean that either of them wouldnt be delighted as well to have a child grace a Ireland shirt one day.
    similarly a mate of mine at work has only begun to 'feel' Irish in the last 5 or 6 years.his folks are from cavan and it wasnt until his late 30's he threw away his england gear and got himself a cavan top and a london irish tattoo.
    so you see it takes many forms and you cant simply dismiss someone for being plastic or not being Irish.i'd ask people who do this to check out the bit in the constitution dedicated to us...
    Welcome aboard Donnymark. Your situation isn't at all uncommon. I have a lot of first cousins in and around London and though the demarkations are by househould they are nonetheles similar to those under your roof. One set (both parents Irish) will say the only thing English about them is their accent and address, another set (1 Irish + 1 English parents) will say they half Irish half English while yet another set ( similarly 1 Irish + 1 English parents) will tell you they're English of Irish extraction.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    International football is already scoffed at by many fans of club football, this type of rubbish, whore'ing your country around to any guy who cant get a game for his 'chosen' country is embarassing and imo devalues the committment the likes of Breen, Kilbane etal.
    I'd hope the irony does not pass you by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donnymark View Post
    i'd ask people who do this to check out the bit in the constitution dedicated to us...
    or go to James Connolly's grave and tell him he wasn't irish because he was born in Edinburgh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Fact is any person with an Irish parent or grandparent is as entitled to an Irish passport and citizenship as anyone born here, its their birth right, if they chose to exercise this right and subseuqently chose to represent or even support Ireland at any part of their life then I welcome them with open arms irregardless of their past...sure it isn't ideal but we've got a limited player pool as it is without excluding sons and daughters (grand sons & grand daughters too) of the diaspora, I'd even go as far as suggesting that any Ireland team that excluded players not born in Ireland would not actually be wholly representative of Modern Ireland
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    can someone tell me why, in general, are the female members of these families always less likely to value their irish heritage?! Maybe the wording there is not quite correct but you get the drift.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    can someone tell me why, in general, are the female members of these families always less likely to value their irish heritage?!
    No, no, you're looking for the misogyny thread.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I'd hope the irony does not pass you by.
    Im afraid it has - what am I missing?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Im afraid it has - what am I missing?
    You were referring to club fans of the professional and semi pro game earlier? To whom any new recruit, financially induced to come to the club, contract loyalty, usual first photo is the club scarf waved in the air for the satisfaction of simple minded fans that they have a genuine club man. Throw in a decent badge kiss now and again. Two years later they are off following the best offer.
    Those fans complaining about a dual national whoring on a limited either/or choice.
    Doesn't that strike you as rather odd?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Of the players mentioned, Noble is not interested, O'Hara is more interested in hanging out with a footballer bike (D.Lloyd), Nolan is a championship midfielder (of which we have many) and the Ferdinands probably arent bright enough to point out Ireland on a map, let alone play for us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    You were referring to club fans of the professional and semi pro game earlier? To whom any new recruit, financially induced to come to the club, contract loyalty, usual first photo is the club scarf waved in the air for the satisfaction of simple minded fans that they have a genuine club man. Throw in a decent badge kiss now and again. Two years later they are off following the best offer.
    Those fans complaining about a dual national whoring on a limited either/or choice.
    Doesn't that strike you as rather odd?
    Ok, I see what youre saying now. Its a very valid point.

So are footballers, in the main, mercenaries whether it be the club or country they choose? I think we kind of expect it a club level nowadays with the financial rewards that are available but not at international level surely? Maybe you could only throw that accusation at the small minority of 'Vinnie Jones' but they appear to be on the increase in number.

If that is what International football has become or is becoming and these rule changes are assisting in that process, then Im not in favour.

I want the 11 men in Green to be in no doubt, that they are out there, representing their country for the nation. I dont want it to be anything less.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Fact is any person with an Irish parent or grandparent is as entitled to an Irish passport and citizenship as anyone born here, its their birth right, if they chose to exercise this right and subseuqently chose to represent or even support Ireland at any part of their life then I welcome them with open arms irregardless of their past...sure it isn't ideal but we've got a limited player pool as it is without excluding sons and daughters (grand sons & grand daughters too) of the diaspora, I'd even go as far as suggesting that any Ireland team that excluded players not born in Ireland would not actually be wholly representative of Modern Ireland
    We're all aware of that fact. There's a distinct difference imo in mindset of the likes of Kilbane or McGeady/Leon Best declaring for us at a young age and some chancer deciding that yeah Oi'm Oirish at 28 just to give their career a boost or because England doesnt want them. E.g Clinton O'chancer Morrisson.

Oh and yeah he gave 100% on the pitch. So bleedin what.
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Irish Blood, English heart, This i'm made of...............

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    We're all aware of that fact. There's a distinct difference imo in mindset of the likes of Kilbane or McGeady/Leon Best declaring for us at a young age and some chancer deciding that yeah Oi'm Oirish at 28 just to give their career a boost or because England doesnt want them. E.g Clinton O'chancer Morrisson.

Oh and yeah he gave 100% on the pitch. So bleedin what.
    I wouldn't put Leon Best in the same bracket as Kilbane or McGeady. He dithered around before he fully committed himself to us. He even appeared in a couple of England underage squads a few years ago after pulling out of some Irish squads a few months beforehand.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Reality differs somewhat to your interpretation of the Leon saga.
    Best's story is much more accurately relayed on the Leon Best thread by Livehead and his account has been verified by events and other sources.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where do you stand??

Why do Irish managers of the modern era not look at LOI talent.
    There are many very good players whom would aptly fit within the current crop of players, I think its was crazy when we have a goalkeeping crisis that Murphy (Bohs) doesn't even figure in the thoughts of the management, instead they choose two sub-standard keepers who have only played a handfull of games all year. Why don't good professional Irish players in Ireland not get a look in.

Do you think Kevin Doyle would have been called up if he hadn't have signed for Reading ??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Reality differs somewhat to your interpretation of the Leon saga.
    Best's story is much more accurately relayed on the Leon Best thread by Livehead and his account has been verified by events and other sources.
    I'm aware of his interpretation. I'm also aware of a number of facts. Best was named in an England U20 squad while he hadn't made himself available for Ireland squads for one reason or another for a long period even though he had been appearing for Southampton in Youth Cup games and reserve outings.

Of course now that Best is a full international he will always claim that he never had any intention to play for anyone other than Ireland. That goes without saying. Westwood I'm sure would say the same as would St Ledger if asked. That doesn't mean it's necessarily 100% true, it's just the way of the world.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/06/2009 at 2:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    i wouldnt include mcgeady in any of these brackets. yes he was born in scotland but hasnt he stated he was only ever going to play for us surely knowing full well the stick he would get. hes 100% for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I'm aware of his interpretation. I'm also aware of a number of facts. Best was named in an England U20 squad while he hadn't made himself available for Ireland squads for one reason or another for a long period even though he had been appearing for Southampton in Youth Cup games and reserve outings.

Of course now that Best is a full international he will always claim that he never had any intention to play for anyone other than Ireland. That goes without saying. Westwood I'm sure would say the same as would St Ledger if asked. That doesn't mean it's necessarily 100% true, it's just the way of the world.
    I will admit having not had any communication with Leon for about 8 years (and then I wasn't his friend by any means) but based on the experience I had of him and his family at school, I will vouch for his commitment to Ireland above England. Not saying I can explain his appearance in the England under-age squad, but I believe he never played for them, whereas he did for us on many occasions. Maybe Livehead can back me up here - he knew him far better than I did.

This isn't fact, so I could be totally wrong - just my opinion based on what I knew of him and his family which, as I say, isn't a huge amount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i'm born in England but raised as Irish. no way I would play for any other country if I was good enough at any sport in which we have a team.

anyone in this situation who choses another country over Ireland is the result of bad parenting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I wouldn't put Leon Best in the same bracket as Kilbane or McGeady. He dithered around before he fully committed himself to us. He even appeared in a couple of England underage squads a few years ago after pulling out of some Irish squads a few months beforehand.
    He didn't even know about the call up to the England squad, and was injured at the time anyway
    From http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/be...k-1752299.html
    "Ireland and England called me up for the same international dates, but I was on loan to Sheffield Wednesday at the time, I had broken my fifth metatarsal so I wasn't able to play for anyone," Best told the Evening Herald after training with Ireland's senior squad for the first time at Arsenal's training complex in London yesterday. "Ireland have always shown me loyalty and I wanted to show that loyalty back. England called me up as I was doing well at the time, but I always wanted to play for Ireland and Ireland only. It wasn't a case of me making a choice or a career move -- I was injured at the time I was called up by England, so that's why I missed some Ireland games as well.
    "When England did call me up for that game against Russia, they didn't contact me or ask me, they just named me in their squad for the game. I didn't know what was happening at the time, but I have always had a strong relationship with Ireland.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook