Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    This might be an interesting one to follow.
    Looks all but done from what he is saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I have no doubt he would accept a call up from either USA or us. Playing for either team would be the highest level he’s ever played. His comments RE: Ireland might simply be a way of scaring the U.S. into giving him a cap he might not otherwise receive.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Looks all but done from what he is saying.
    no way we should be capping this lad. he is pure american tge irish thing is just for his passport to make playing in a league like the top flight in england easier and best of luck to him for that but no way we should be capping him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    it'd be pretty weird if an American born in Colorado plays for Ireland, while an Irish player raised in Colorado plays for America!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    it'd be pretty weird if an American born in Colorado plays for Ireland, while an Irish player raised in Colorado plays for America!
    One of them has made much better strides in Europe than the other so we can't complain. Hines-Ike doesn't have a father who won an All-Ireland for Cork or an uncle who won an All-Ireland for Kerry either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Brendan Hines-Ike has signed for KV Kortrijk in Belgium for $750k and is their record signing
    Speaking off the Belgian League.
    Has Sandy Walsh made any comments about playing for Ireland? Although he is way behind Coleman, Doherty & Christie in the pecking order.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Speaking off the Belgian League.
    Has Sandy Walsh made any comments about playing for Ireland? Although he is way behind Coleman, Doherty & Christie in the pecking order.
    His mother is Dutch and of Indonesian descent. His Wiki is listing him as Indonesian (could have been anyone) but his Twitter page is full of references to Indonesia.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    no way we should be capping this lad. he is pure american tge irish thing is just for his passport to make playing in a league like the top flight in england easier and best of luck to him for that but no way we should be capping him
    A stunning statement Liamo.
    "He is pure American, the irish thing is just for his passport"
    Have you talked to him?

It would be a real stretch for Ireland to play someone with an Irish grandparent, wouldn't it?
    Don't think I've ever seen that happen before?

Why don't you cut the lad some slack. He is no different from the procession of foreign born lads with Irish grandparents who have worn the green.
    Doesn't matter if he was born in the Amazon, he qualifies.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    A stunning statement Liamo.
    "He is pure American, the irish thing is just for his passport"
    Have you talked to him?

It would be a real stretch for Ireland to play someone with an Irish grandparent, wouldn't it?
    Don't think I've ever seen that happen before?

Why don't you cut the lad some slack. He is no different from the procession of foreign born lads with Irish grandparents who have worn the green.
    Doesn't matter if he was born in the Amazon, he qualifies.
    http://americansoccernow.com/article...visie-interest . article is from earlier this summer sets out why he is gettingbhis passport. no mention of wanting to play for us and clear aim to play atvtge highest level to be talked about more back in america.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Is he any good ? We can do with as much good as possible .

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    http://americansoccernow.com/article...visie-interest . article is from earlier this summer sets out why he is gettingbhis passport. no mention of wanting to play for us and clear aim to play atvtge highest level to be talked about more back in america.
    I don't know Liam. I think you're being harsh on him. There's no quote from him as to why he's getting the passport. And I think he might be as happy to play with us as the US. Those quotes don't see him stating that the US is his number one choice.

It's funny- links with Neagle and McNamara and O'Neill to us never came to anything. Will be interesting to see if this does.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    I don't know Liam. I think you're being harsh on him. There's no quote from him as to why he's getting the passport. And I think he might be as happy to play with us as the US. Those quotes don't see him stating that the US is his number one choice.

It's funny- links with Neagle and McNamara and O'Neill to us never came to anything. Will be interesting to see if this does.
    true maybe harsh but as I read it he will do whatever he can to progress his club career which is completely the right attitude and fair play to him. There does not seem to be any emtion in it to play for us. Id like him to have said Im getting the passport to hopefully play for ireland cause its my dream. the much maligned pwarce at derby who is at a far higger level could have chosen scotland but threw his lot in with us cause he said he always wanted to play for us and has stuck with us showing up rarely getting a game. so the least i expect is this lad to say he wants us not the usa

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    https://www.balls.ie/football/ryan-j...ireland-393990

Massive egg on my face, Ryan will play for Ireland U18’s next month!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I might be jumping the gun a little but seriously think MON should call him up and cap him soon, in a 3 way tug of war I wouldn’t be confident of keeping, Wales would have capped him if they were in our shoes.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    that's brilliant news, I would guess he will be promoted to the U21s very quickly and if he progresses then the senior team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Is an u18 cap binding? As in, he'll have played for Ireland, Sweden, and Luxembourg at underage level, will he still be able to represent either of the other two?

Also, the original article is here is you want to read it: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/i...star-0jx7vd9w6
    It is behind a paywall, but you get two free articles for registering

FWIW, when he was discussed recently on the forum, I checked his instgram account, and he had a photo of himself in a Sweden jersey from one of the games he played for them. Just checked again, and that photo has been removed...
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 01/08/2018 at 9:30 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I think at around this level you can only make one switch, tbh but hugely confident of him staying until he play in a qualifier.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    [QUOTE=tetsujin1979;1970170]Is an u18 cap binding? As in, he'll have played for Ireland, Sweden, and Luxembourg at underage level, will he still be able to represent either of the other two?

Only if he officially changes association, he may not have to do that at under U18 level though ( but if he does apply to FIFA and change he is ours)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I think when you play U19 on you have one switch after that, that’s why I’m still not that confident, he could play for us next month than just switch to Sweden for the U19 qualifiers without much effort.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Is an u18 cap binding? As in, he'll have played for Ireland, Sweden, and Luxembourg at underage level, will he still be able to represent either of the other two?

Also, the original article is here is you want to read it: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/i...star-0jx7vd9w6
    It is behind a paywall, but you get two free articles for registering

FWIW, when he was discussed recently on the forum, I checked his instgram account, and he had a photo of himself in a Sweden jersey from one of the games he played for them. Just checked again, and that photo has been removed...
    no only friedlies at 18s so not binding. it seems he played a under 17 qualifier for luxenburg and just under 16 games for sweden so if he turns out for us in october for the under 19 qualifiers he will be tied to us