Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Someone needs to explain to the IFA that , that "loophole" is called the Good Friday agreement
    It's not even that, it's our citizenship laws.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    RTE twitter account reporting from the press conference

MON: I have no problem to have a conversation with Michael O'Neill. Met him at a game recently. Very convivial conversation. Didn't mention this. Wish he had...

MON: I have not taken one senior player from him (Michael O'Neill). Bringing religion into it...you'll have to ask Michael. Very disappointing. It's the player's choice.
    Fair play. Having avoided the subject somehow for so long I think I am happy with Martin's words.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Fair play. Having avoided the subject somehow for so long I think I am happy with Martin's words.
    Yeah, I think he's done okay too. He has to play the game from both sides to a certain degree to be fair to him. There's a bit more here - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36683690.html

Quote Originally Posted by Martin O'Neill
    Obviously I have a problem with the unexpected nature of the comments.

I think Michael has admitted this...I haven't even taken a player away from him at senior level. I've no problem having a discussion.

Funnily enough I did meet him at a game quite recently, we were watching Fulham play.

We had a very convivial conversation and he never mentioned these particular points. I wish he had of done. It came as a surprise. I've had a conversation with him since.

He's admitted I've not taken a senior player from him. Quite the opposite. He's taken Alex Bruce during my time here. I've not taken a senior player off him at all.

I've no problem having a discussion about underage level. But to bring religion into it, that's something you'd have to ask Michael about.

I played for Northern Ireland 60 odd times and was captain loads of times, and I think one of the most successful periods where you had Catholics and Protestants playing from both sides of the religious divide.

Those things have to remembered. Very disappointing. I think the most important issue here is that I've never chosen a player on anything other than merit. But two, really really important. It is down to the player. It is the player's choice and that's something I've always abided by.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I think he is clear in that he has played for NI, manages Ireland and thinks the choice is the player's. I think that has to be respected. I don't think the bile spouted by Michael carries much respect towards the options afforded to the players and the subsequent choices made. And that stands for prospective and future cases too.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Really surprised that Michael O'Neill said these things.
    Happy with Martin's comments. He's matter of fact but slightly bullish as well, which he needs to be.

Also, the Alex Bruce point is a good one. The only player to switch from one to the other at senior level was him.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    On reflection I think Michael O'Neill has crossed a line here. He has accused Martin and the FAI of sectarianism without a shred of evidence to support that claim. In fact he did just the opposite when he gave the example of Paddy McNair who was approached despite him being protestant.

The fact that only Catholics have declared for us is not evidence of sectarian recruitment on the part of the FAI. It is evidence that if presented with the opportunity Catholics in the north have a preference for the republic that is not shared by their protestant peers.

Michael O'Neill has no idea which of his potential players were approached by the FAI. He has no idea which of the players who declared for us did so after reaching out to the FAI on their own initiative. I would both expect and assume that the FAI don't give a damn which school you went to. Either Michael O'Neill has evidence to the contrary or he owes Martin an apology.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    No, a player can only transfer allegiance once. eg. Jack Grealish is no long eligible for the rep of Ireland
    Jack still has international options.
    He has not yet been tied to the cause of England, he has yet to be capped for them at a competitive level, until that point has been passed he can (in theory) reignite his Irish intl ambitions..

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    He can't play for us again. He used his one switch to switch to England and represented their under 21s. Door shut. Done.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He can't play for us again. He used his one switch to switch to England and represented their under 21s. Door shut. Done.
    It has to be a competitive game. The door is still open.
    It is not a switch until he has been capped at a competitive level.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Another one we lost to England, played in the catalonian Cup final recently.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It has to be a competitive game. The door is still open.
    It is not a switch until he has been capped at a competitive level.
    Thats a common misconception, but its not correct. A player can only switch association once.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Marcus McGuane, another one we lost, has made his debut for Barcelona: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...s-barca-debut/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Callum Robinson has declared, good player

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    How many runs did he get ?

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Interesting.

'I'm available' - Preston star Callum Robinson declares for Ireland http://the42.ie/3893676

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Marcus McGuane, another one we lost, has made his debut for Barcelona: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...s-barca-debut/
    McGuane is a disappointing one. From what I can glean, McGuane originally went by the name of is Ghanaian father. He changed it to his mother's name. His mother's parents are from Laois and Cork. In fact, he had a tweet up about his grandmother once and I reckon it was his maternal grandmother. Disappointing she couldn't keep him at bay for us.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    This is very good news, another option in an area where we are a little short, Callum can play as a winger or up front. The Preston connection also helps and must be seen as a positive influence. Hope MON adds him to the squad for Turkey.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    One thing I find interesting is how this declaration has been made. The 42 are carrying it as an exclusive. That would lead me to believe there has been an intermediary between the 42 and the player e.g. an Irish Preston teammate or his agent. Secondly, the timing of it to co-incide with the squad announcement (first thing in the morning directly afterwards) all seems very deliberate.

Not that it's a big issue. I just think it's very obviously orchestrated and what about it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I'm not sure we lost him as such. He came out of nowhere and played in the euros 17 after not been involved in any qualifiers and was a year underage. thea few months later he switches to brits 17s and played in the euros 17s for them. To me it seemed we kinda borrowed him for a tournament where Doyle Hayes from Villa was out injured and he was always going back. Looked a lovely player though