Page 145 of 257 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'm assuming it was this Philip Quinn who wrote the piece for Extra.ie?: https://twitter.com/quinner61?lang=en
    Yeah, looks like it's him. The google cached version is still available: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ie
    Clicking the "Philip Quinn" link at the top brings you to this page: https://extra.ie/author/philip-quinn
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Back out in the open. Tomorrow's Irish Mail.

20180305_235543.jpg

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Same journalist

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Not sure when the article was published on extra.ie but I know Mr. Parker put the link up here on Sunday night. Is it slightly odd there was a lag on Monday in publishing the article in the Mail? That's very dependent on when the article was published Sunday.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    The longer there is no rebuttal, the more I believe the report was 100% accurate. Given the complete silence from all parts of the media on this, again the more I think a marriage of convenience has taken place involving all parties.

Other sources will no doubt leak information in the days and weeks to come as to the stories validity.
    I'd agree to a certain extent. After a certain length of time, the lack of a flat-out denial is telling. That said, the fact that the article has just been pulled without explanation or comment doesn't fill me with confidence in the journalist either. Why would they not stand over their own story, if it is 100% accurate?

I think the power of the IFA to just make this go away is being overstated - these comments, if true, are a serious story, and I can't imagine an organisation like the BBC simply going along with the IFA on this.
    Last edited by osarusan; 06/03/2018 at 9:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I'd agree to a certain extent. After a certain length of time, the lack of a flat-out denial is telling. That said, the fact that the article has just been pulled without explanation or comment doesn't fill me with confidence in the journalist either. Why would they not stand over their own story, if it is 100% accurate?

I think the power of the IFA to just make this go away is being overstated - these comments, if true, are a serious story, and I can't imagine an organisation like the BBC going along with the IFA.

Well now that it has been published again I think we can all be fairly confident of its accuracy. Sports journalists are so be holding to the IFA and O'neill is unreal in the North. A journalist knows that if he falls foul of either, much of his job will be impossible due to losing access. It would not surprise me that they were asked to sit on it. Even today there still isn't a peep out of them that I have seen.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Michael O Neill is driving a precarious route on this one . Perhaps the Guardians of Sensibility might have a word with him to keep a straight and sensible line . Less chance of drawing attention to his manoeuvring .

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Well now that it has been published again I think we can all be fairly confident of its accuracy.
    It's lead story on RTESports this morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    RTÉ & the Irish Independent are both reporting it. Neither mention the sectarian accusation a such, so it reads slightly softer maybe.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    From the RTE article:
    Speaking to the Irish Daily Mail, Michael O’Neill said the number of players that have opted to play for the Republic and not made a senior appearance is in double figures.
    Perhaps Extra.ie were told to delete it as it was an Irish Daily Mail story. (No idea who the journalist Philip Quinn is, may be a freelancer)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    We should start targeting Prod players as well, just to see the head on him

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    We should start targeting Prod players as well, just to see the head on him
    That's actually how I would like our MON / Association respond to this, if they chose to acknowledge it at all. Make clear all Irishmen are entitled to and very welcome to represent Ireland and will all be welcomed by everyone in Mexico, should they chose to do so. Don't take a backward step here.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    That's actually how I would like our MON / Association respond to this, if they chose to acknowledge it at all. Make clear all Irishmen are entitled to and very welcome to represent Ireland and will all be welcomed by everyone in Mexico, should they chose to do so. Don't take a backward step here.
    Don't think there's much chance of MON addressing it. From my memory, he seems to be keeping well back from this topic. I would love us to have a manager that would take a more responsive approach to these assertions coming from Michael O'Neill (not the first time either). Trap probably wasn't aware of the topic. Kerr has always been soft on it and Staunton wasn't around long enough or exposed to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Don't think there's much chance of MON addressing it. From my memory, he seems to be keeping well back from this topic.
    Wouldn't be too hard to open him up with a well phrased question at a press conference, with Duffy sitting next to him, or young James.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    This is from the RTE article, which is not the case.
    Players born on the island of Ireland have the right to represent either the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland and can switch, as long as they have not already played in an official competition at senior international level for either country

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    From the RTE article:

Perhaps Extra.ie were told to delete it as it was an Irish Daily Mail story. (No idea who the journalist Philip Quinn is, may be a freelancer)
    Quinn is well-known and has been around a good while. I've seen him interviewed for documentaries/features on Irish football before. I'm not sure when this one below would have been made exactly, but he features in it discussing the Ireland-Italy game from World Cup '94 at 1m33s:

Has anyone seen the full text of the Irish Daily Mail interview? I wonder does it feature the more explicit accusations of "sectarian"/"unscrupulous" recruitment and "weasel[ing] away"...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    This is from the RTE article, which is not the case.
    SMH. Was it all in vain?!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    From the RTE article:

Extra.ie and the IDM are the same thing. I presume they pulled it because they knew it would sell papers if it was taken offline.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Wouldn't be too hard to open him up with a well phrased question at a press conference, with Duffy sitting next to him, or young James.
    Tony O'Donoghue steps up: "This one is for James. James, you were born within the 6 counties and are passionate about representing Ireland as it is your country. Can you understand how others from the 6 counties have played or play for Northern Ireland despite coming from, what from the outside look like, nationalist backgrounds? That must be very hard for you to reconcile, James, is it?"

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Here's something I'd written after the article had been removed from the web and before the interview was published again today, although I primarily sought to challenge much of what O'Neill said because, even if his words hadn't been true, the quotes were still representative of popular sentiment within the NI fan-base: https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com...itment-policy/

It is particularly hypocritical of O'Neill to scold the FAI for allegedly asking players to switch and then not picking them considering he himself was, according to Shane McEleney, "torturing" the player about switching from the FAI to the IFA, yet O'Neill has completely ignored the player at senior level since.

28. Thanks From: