Page 144 of 257 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It's a tricky one. He never ruled us out. But a few barren years and now very average championship scoring record and we are talking about him claiming. Is that making him think about claiming? At the moment it appears to me like his stock would have to fall another bit for him to claim for us. Hard to know how I would feel about it. His England dream is quite remote now so why hasn't he claimed. How much more remote must it get?
    He's had major problems at club level in terms of game time over the past two or three years, I don't think he was in a position to concern himself too much about international football. He might well feel that he needs to get back to scoring regularly at Championship level before he would even be considered for Ireland. I'm convinced he'd be keen to play for us if he was approached at this stage, he'll know himself the England dream is pretty much dead in the water barring a miraculous transformation. I'd have no problem with him being brought on board as long as his form merits it. He's been very clear that England are his number one preference, which is fair enough, but he's very much in tune with his Irishness also.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 05/03/2018 at 11:28 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    YBIG have posited on their twitter account that these might be fake quotes.
    I can only find them on extra.ie. You'd think that at least one other news organ would pick them up.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Paddy McEleney scored on his Oldham debut today away to Scunthorpe. Oldham won 2-0 with Eoin Doyle scoring the second.
    Fluky goal, a Jack Byrne shot that deflected off McEleney - https://youtu.be/ljr2yuNFdJ0?t=1m11s

Doyle's goal is straight after if you keep watching.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    YBIG have posited on their twitter account that these might be fake quotes.
    I can only find them on extra.ie. You'd think that at least one other news organ would pick them up.
    seems the article has been taken off extra.ie.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Until Michael O'Neill publicly states that he did not give those quotes, it must be assumed that he did and the story has been taken down due to pressures from those that are embarased by it and favours are being called in. It will be interesting to see if it is allowed to have a quiet death or if the author will state anything publicly.
    Last edited by Mr_Parker; 05/03/2018 at 2:47 PM.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Until Michael O'Neill publicly states that he did not give those quotes, it must be assumed that he did
    Complete and utter nonsense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Why do you say that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Why do you say that?
    you don't think there's any chance whatsoever that the quotes were made up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Why do you say that?
    There is no more reason to take the position that we must assume the quotes to be true until proven otherwise, than there is to take the position that we must assume the quotes to be false until proven otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    There is no more reason to take the position that we must assume the quotes to be true until proven otherwise, than there is to take the position that we must assume the quotes to be false until proven otherwise.
    The quotes were published and attributed to Michael O'Neill. That remains the case. That is the point I was making.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    you don't think there's any chance whatsoever that the quotes were made up?
    Personally no. If they had been there would have been swift denials via the IFA. If anything is to come now, nearly 24 hours after it was published, it would only heighten my suspicions of it being true with all parties agreeing to try and sweep it away quietly, especially with the friendly in the near future.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Rab O'Neill.jpg Rab O'Neill uncle Tom

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Personally no. If they had been there would have been swift denials via the IFA. If anything is to come now, nearly 24 hours after it was published, it would only heighten my suspicions of it being true with all parties agreeing to try and sweep it away quietly, especially with the friendly in the near future.
    Good.point. Imagine the outrage that these comments would be met with if they were fabricated? Have they gained sufficient traction for the IFA to become aware of them (genuine or bogus)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Good.point. Imagine the outrage that these comments would be met with if they were fabricated? Have they gained sufficient traction for the IFA to become aware of them (genuine or bogus)?
    Oh they are aware, be sure of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    They are aware.

I haven't heard any further update. Surely it wouldn't take the IFA all day to contact their senior men's international team manager and provide confirmation that the quotes were indeed bogus, unless, of course, the quotes were genuine and the IFA are keen not to draw any further attention to the matter...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Why do you not think that as the journalist in question has not come out nearly 24 hours after it was published to prove it is true, it heightens your suspicions of it being false? That seems to me to just as likely an interpretation as yours.

Your argument seems to be that we must believe it as it hasn't been denied yet, and even if it is denied, that will just make you believe it even more. You don't think that is unreasonable at all?

I have no idea if O'Neill made the comments he is alleged to have made. It would surprise me if he did, given he doesn't really have a history of the kind of witless sh!t-stirring those quotes would be. Equally it would surprise me for a journalist to simply fabricate an interview/set of quotes. I don't know what to believe.
    Last edited by osarusan; 05/03/2018 at 6:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    seems the article has been taken off extra.ie.
    Aye, it's gone from here: https://extra.ie/2018/03/04/sport/so...claims-fai-use

The content is still on this site though: http://uk.pressfrom.com/news/sport/-...arian-tactics/

That site appears to syndicate content from other sites and accredits Extra.ie as being the source.

If it's deleted from that site, there are screenshots of the content of the article here for anyone interested:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'm assuming it was this Philip Quinn who wrote the piece for Extra.ie?: https://twitter.com/quinner61?lang=en

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Why do you not think that as the journalist in question has not come out nearly 24 hours after it was published to prove it is true, it heightens your suspicions of it being false? That seems to me to just as likely an interpretation as yours.

Your argument seems to be that we must believe it as it hasn't been denied yet, and even if it is denied, that will just make you believe it even more. You don't think that is unreasonable at all?

I have no idea if O'Neill made the comments he is alleged to have made. It would surprise me if he did, given he doesn't really have a history of the kind of witless sh!t-stirring those quotes would be. Equally it would surprise me for a journalist to simply fabricate an interview/set of quotes. I don't know what to believe.
    The longer there is no rebuttal, the more I believe the report was 100% accurate. Given the complete silence from all parts of the media on this, again the more I think a marriage of convenience has taken place involving all parties.

Other sources will no doubt leak information in the days and weeks to come as to the stories validity.