Page 12 of 257 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Re Corrigan, he was an excellent keeper who only got 9 England caps, entirely due to his career coinciding with two absolutely outstanding England keepers, Shilton and Clemence, who got 186 caps between them.
    In the circumstances, it would have been hard to blame Big Joe for opting for ROI for the opportunity it might have afforded (rather than any feelings of ancestral allegiances etc.)
    I don't know why any blame would be attached to a decision to declare or not declare.
    Considering that Joe was already an established keeper and an England possible, opting for Ireland under Giles circa '74, an international backwater, offered little in the way of opportunity or even a glimmer of some around the corner.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Brace yourself for a long post.

------------------------------

Don's wary of new 'recruits'
    By Aidan Fitzmaurice
    Wednesday June 10 2009
    Givens tips Spurs' O'Hara for Ireland call, but urges caution on rule changes
    It would appear that Trap and Givens are singing from the same hymn sheet on this issue.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    I'd love to see you put that to the Brummie and London Irish lads I go on away trips with!
    Exactly and add the Mancs to the equation as well!!!

It is laughable really, Robbie Jnr spends 24hrs in a Dublin hospital to be brought in to the world and that in someway ensures he is 100% Irish (and not a second rate second generation lad?)

Despite his upbringing being probably no different to my own from then on in (i.e. brought up in England to Irish parents and clear influences about your irishness) In fairness Robbie did say that he hopes to go back to Ireland to live once his career is over, but still.

I have a mate here in Manchester and he packed his wife off to Dublin to give birth to both their kids. Some say admirable, to me it wont make a jot of difference its how the parents bring them up and the cultural influences they are exposed to that will matter.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Exactly and add the Mancs to the equation as well!!!

It is laughable really, Robbie Jnr spends 24hrs in a Dublin hospital to be brought in to the world and that in someway ensures he is 100% Irish (and not a second rate second generation lad?)

Despite his upbringing being probably no different to my own from then on in (i.e. brought up in England to Irish parents and clear influences about your irishness) In fairness Robbie did say that he hopes to go back to Ireland to live once his career is over, but still.

I have a mate here in Manchester and he packed his wife off to Dublin to give birth to both their kids. Some say admirable, to me it wont make a jot of difference its how the parents bring them up and the cultural influences they are exposed to that will matter.
    I don't think it matters where one is born. In addition I believe one can feel an allegiance to both countries(ie where they are born and there ancestral roots).I'm sure each person is different, eg one brother born in London to Irish parents may feel more "Irish". His sibling may regard himself as being more "English".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    personally if i was living abroad i would want my kids born here in ireland so i would make sure that happened. to me it would make all the difference to have them born on irish soil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Darren Ambrose ... he was a good player when Chartlon were in the premier league, no?
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Being born in Ireland/Being born outside Ireland makes no difference, it just depends on their upbringing, like someone else previously said, kids don't have to be brought up riverdancing and playing uileann pipes to be aware or proud of their roots

Insofar as insisting your child be born here, as far as I'm aware that's unnecessary, a child automatically inherits its fathers domicile so as long as your Irish your children are also - off topic I know but I remember reading an interview with Ann Marie Duff from Shameless and she said that when she and her brothers were born her father rushed off and got them all Irish passports straight away - he was determined that if any of them (she has lots of brothers) were good enough to play football internationally they would do so for Ireland and Ireland only...I dare someone to tell that man his kids aren't Irish!!!![FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Being born in Ireland/Being born outside Ireland makes no difference, it just depends on their upbringing, like someone else previously said, kids don't have to be brought up riverdancing and playing uileann pipes to be aware or proud of their roots

Insofar as insisting your child be born here, as far as I'm aware that's unnecessary, a child automatically inherits its fathers domicile so as long as your Irish your children are also - off topic I know but I remember reading an interview with Ann Marie Duff from Shameless and she said that when she and her brothers were born her father rushed off and got them all Irish passports straight away - he was determined that if any of them (she has lots of brothers) were good enough to play football internationally they would do so for Ireland and Ireland only...I dare someone to tell that man his kids aren't Irish!!!![FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    what...are u saying that damien was born in england.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Who would you cheer on in an Ireland v England game were we to get drawn together as kept happening from 88 to 92?

And, if the answer is Ireland would you cheer for England against anyone else?

Not being judgemental, genuine questions.
    As far as football is concerned im 100% Irish always have been, always will be. In other sports I would support an England team that did not sing the British anthem ie the cricket team (especially v Australia ). I don't follow other sports to nearly the same level that i do football. though.

Really, my "national indentity" is too complex to quantify mathematically like some people seem to want to do. This is why i don't feel that someone has the right to make a judgment based on internet article prejudice. The question of what i "am" is something i have to consider everytime I'm watching a game whether it's at Croker or in the pub, when someone asks me "why do you support Ireland?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post

Insofar as insisting your child be born here, as far as I'm aware that's unnecessary, a child automatically inherits its fathers domicile so as long as your Irish your children are also - off topic I know but I remember reading an interview with Ann Marie Duff from Shameless and she said that when she and her brothers were born her father rushed off and got them all Irish passports straight away - he was determined that if any of them (she has lots of brothers) were good enough to play football internationally they would do so for Ireland and Ireland only...I dare someone to tell that man his kids aren't Irish!!!![FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Well in 2004, 66% of Irish believed that anyone whose even born here aren't Irish so I guess we could call them not Irish.

In fairness though thats pretty cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    As far as football is concerned im 100% Irish always have been, always will be. In other sports I would support an England team that did not sing the British anthem ie the cricket team (especially v Australia ). I don't follow other sports to nearly the same level that i do football. though.

Really, my "national indentity" is too complex to quantify mathematically like some people seem to want to do. This is why i don't feel that someone has the right to make a judgment based on internet article prejudice. The question of what i "am" is something i have to consider everytime I'm watching a game whether it's at Croker or in the pub, when someone asks me "why do you support Ireland?"
    Good post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    apologies if this has been pointed out already but this rule would appear to benefit Norn Iron waaay more than it will likely benefit us.

All those kids we poached at a young age who declared for us and then, for one reason or another, failed to make the grade internationally can now move back to the North if they so desire. I think that is a good thing.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    we didnt poach any kids....quick turn around a dark corner before EG catches me
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    apologies if this has been pointed out already but this rule would appear to benefit Norn Iron waaay more than it will likely benefit us.

All those kids we poached at a young age who declared for us and then, for one reason or another, failed to make the grade internationally can now move back to the North if they so desire. I think that is a good thing.
    In theory yes. But don't think they are as forgiving up north as some down here are.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts

I feel it may well benefit NI, but not in the way you suggest i.e. instead of us luring back significant numbers of "prodigals" who strayed (to the Dark Side), I think we are far more likely to pick up 1st and 2nd generation players from England or Scotland, who are maybe not quite good enough to play senior football for their team, but could do a job for us.
    Indeed, the process had already started with players under-21, with the appointment of NW and Steve Beaglehole, and their team of new coaches and scouts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    In theory yes. But don't think they are as forgiving up north as some down here are.
    Oh, I don't know. Tony Kane and Michael O'Connor, for instance, have been made most welcome.

Indeed, there is clear evidence that we may be being effective in stemming the flow Southwards in the first place (eg Shane Duffy, Niall McGinn), prevention being better than cure and all that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    I feel it may well benefit NI, but not in the way you suggest i.e. instead of us luring back significant numbers of "prodigals" who strayed (to the Dark Side), I think we are far more likely to pick up 1st and 2nd generation players from England or Scotland, who are maybe not quite good enough to play senior football for their team, but could do a job for us.
    Indeed, the process had already started with players under-21, with the appointment of NW and Steve Beaglehole, and their team of new coaches and scouts.
    agreed - in much the same way as it may benefit us in addition to what my original post outlined. As i said, a very good thing overall for the North.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    As i said, a very good thing overall for the North.
    Agreed, with one important qualification, namely that the recruitment process must be able to distinguish between those who sign up for us for the "right" reasons, and those who are only doing so for selfish, mercenary reasons.

For I still think that we benefit far more in the long term by having 11 players who all have a top attitude, even though they may have moderate talent, than by fielding 11 more talented players, half of them with a poor attitude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    For I still think that we benefit far more in the long term by having 11 players who all have a top attitude, even though they may have moderate talent, than by fielding 11 more talented players, half of them with a poor attitude.
    That decision is a significant part of a manager's job.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    On the dual nationality point, I think alot of Irish born and bred individuals do have a problem understanding an English born person with an Irish heritage who supports both England and Ireland. Having said that if you replaced England with Wales or Italy or France etc etc I think the problem isnt there.

I really admire the guys I meet particularly on away trips who support Ireland but are born and rared in England.

On the player eligibility, does anyone else think instead of us chasing potential players that it should not also work the other way round??? I would be fearful of individuals with Irish links declaring for us now primarily because it would be good for their career. If I were an eg English born player with Irish heritage who felt a strong connection with Ireland and was good enough to play for Ireland, I would be making it known to those who matter.