Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 116 of 257 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    And at the same time he hasn't come out and rubbished the idea either, until he does the speculation is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    There are five Irish players at Preston. I think if Robinson was eligible and interested, he would make his interest known.
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    This is going to sound absolutely ludicrous but I'm almost certain that at the time Grealish & Jordan Graham were called up from the Aston Villa youth sides to play for an Ireland U16 team Robinson was supposed to be called up too but couldn't get his paperwork done in time.

I'm struggling to corroborate this in fairness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Nobody even knows if he is eligible, like Jutkiewicz.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    There are five Irish players at Preston. I think if Robinson was eligible and interested, he would make his interest known.
    You cannot say that, not to a certainty. Trevor Sinclair was never asked, had he been he says it would all have played out differently. Ciaran Clark was asked.

Neither can you say with any certainty that he isn't interested. As yet, these matters are unclear, unresolved, so saying what he would do were he eligible etc, well, how do you know he hasn't ?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Nobody even knows if he is eligible, like Jutkiewicz.
    Jutkiewicz is eligible, that's not in doubt.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    He said he wasn't sure if his Grandmother was born in Ireland or moved there at a young age.

He seemed unsure himself if he was eligible.

It's in an article I seen - pretty sure it was posted - I'd dig it out, but am on phone.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    He said he wasn't sure if his Grandmother was born in Ireland or moved there at a young age.

He seemed unsure himself if he was eligible.

It's in an article I seen - pretty sure it was posted - I'd dig it out, but am on phone.
    'I saw' TOWK. Can you explain why you haven't displayed the same antipathy to Tom Field that you display to many other potential Irish players?
    And Wangball, I remember reading something similar to what you posted regarding Robinson and a call up which means it is probably somewhere on this site!
    Last edited by gastric; 15/02/2017 at 12:17 AM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    http://www.the42.ie/birmingham-strik...77090-Jan2017/

Here's an article on Jutkiewicz from Jan '17. He makes the comment about his grandmother either being born here or moving here at a young age, the article goes on to say he does qualify under FIFA regulations.

Danny Invincible would be the authority here but if his granny did move here as a child and stayed long enough to become a citizen would her children/grandchildren qualify??!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    I see Villa lost again ending any slight chance of a play off. We should know very soon if Scott Hogan wants to play international football for us, as his England ambitions are now over for sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Danny Invincible would be the authority here but if his granny did move here as a child and stayed long enough to become a citizen would her children/grandchildren qualify??!
    Hmm, it'd be a more complicated scenario than your average case, but I'll give my (non-professional) reading of it.

If his granny moved to Ireland, she may have become a naturalised Irish citizen depending on her circumstances and whether or not she'd made a successful application in accordance with the criteria in effect at the time, but, if she did make a successful application and thus became a naturalised Irish citizen based on residing in the country for the requisite period of time and fulfilling the other conditions (being of "good character" and all that), there would be no automatic transference of citizenship to the next generation (Jutkiewicz's relevant parent) or the one after that (Jutkiewicz himself).

This is the old post-1935 law on naturalisation: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1.../en/print#sec3

And the present post-1956 law on naturalisation, which had retroactive effect and replaced the provisions of the 1935 act: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/INCA%...14.pdf#page=12

Under present legislation (the effect of which is outlined and explained here), in order for Irish citizenship to be passed on by descent from a naturalised citizen, I understand Jutkiewicz's relevant parent would have needed to register (or be registered by someone with the legal capacity to register them) in the Foreign Births Register.

For Jutkiewicz himself to be entitled to claim Irish citizenship, I understand his relevant parent would have needed to have been registered before Jutkiewicz was born. If his relevant parent was registered and thus was an Irish citizen before Jutkiewicz was born, Jutkiewicz would then and only then be entitled to register in the Foreign Births Register and acquire Irish citizenship by descent that way. Even then, it wouldn't be an automatic transference and it would be effective from the date of registration rather than the date of his birth. If his relevant parent hadn't acquired Irish citizenship by the time of Jutkiewicz's birth, Jutkiewicz would have no entitlement to claim Irish citizenship via descent.

Even if Jutkiewicz acquired Irish citizenship this way (by descent), there'd still be a problem and it wouldn't necessarily mean he qualifies to play for us. Mere possession of Irish citizenship is not sufficient, as we know. Article 7 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the Statutes (relating to players who acquire a new nationality) states:

Quote Originally Posted by Regulations Governing the Application of the Statutes
    Any Player who refers to art. 5 par.1 to assume a new nationality and who has not played international football in accordance with art. 5 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:

a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.
    That means that is it has indeed been confirmed that he is eligible - tets asserts that it is - then it must be the case that his granny was actually born in Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    It seems jordan mceneff has switched to us http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/osam-...ary-friendlies . He looked the norths best player in the victory shield games before christmas as a playmaking number 10. He is at arsenal. His brother is mceneff at derry who switched to us last year ago but has never as far as I remember been involved in a squad for us. Our 16s looked quality going forward so he will hopefully add to the mix

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    If he's at Arsenal why is Coleraine listed as his club?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    If he's at Arsenal why is Coleraine listed as his club?

For some reason they dont put the english clubs down for home grown irish lads at english clubs.For instance the knight lad is at derby and collins is at stoke.Maybe he has been let go but he was at arsenal during that victory shield in october so im not making it up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I came across a piece on the improved aura around Martin O'Neill's team and Irish supporters' resulting enhanced connection to it. A lot of the piece is relevant to this thread.

'An Appropriate Sense of Irishness': http://pogmogoal.com/republic-of-ire...ishness/24557/

Quote Originally Posted by Feargal Brennan

It could be said that the greatest legacy that EURO 2016 gave to Irish football was a re-establishment of the relationship between the public and the national team, that had been somewhat fractured over the past 10 or so years. And that a sticky French summer would lead to the creation of new legions of Irish fans with great pride in the green jersey.

The aura around the team is far different now, O’Neill’s pragmatic and affable nature, matched with an increase in squad experience and quality has lifted the mood.

Alongside this, much of the positivity around the Boys in Green both during the Euros and now in World Cup qualification is a rebirth, or at least a repackaging, of Irishness in the team.

Ireland have long been derided for a frivolous adoption of non-Irish born players into the fold, but the truth of the matter is that these assertions have been very unfair. Firstly, because most of Ireland’s key men over the past 10-15 years were born and raised in Ireland, Roy and Robbie Keane, Duff, Shay Given, Denis Irwin, Richard Dunne and John O’Shea to name a few.

And secondly the notion of an over exploitation of the ‘granny rule’ by the FAI, gobbling up the ‘unwanted’ scraps of larger nations, has been dispelled by the commitment shown by players such as Kevin Kilbane and Jonny Walters in a green shirt.

Kilbane has in fact been an advocate of players proving themselves to the national team manager before selection.

In an interview with the Irish Times in 2015, Kilbane, a player often more comfortable in his national team colours than those of the clubs who employed him, emphasised the need for passion.

“They’ve (new players) got to show desire to come in. They have to want to come and play for us. Once you’ve committed to us, there is no way further down the line that you would miss games in favour of playing for your club.”

As a perfect illustration of Kilbane’s point, he was very vocal in support of a call up for Harry Arter, a player keen to wear green. But expressed caution over the likes Mark Noble, who, alongside others, had only ever spoken about playing for Ireland in a theoretical sense and clearly using it for leverage.

However, the current squad can proudly boast a significant majority of Irish born players, with O’Neill selective of who he chooses for his squad. In fact, the EURO 2016 squad had the fewest non-Irish born players within it than at any other major tournament. O’Neill selected just six players born outside of Ireland, compared with 7 by Trapattoni in 2012, 12 by McCarthy in 2002 and 14 by Charlton in both 1990 and 1994, and 12 in 1988.

The primary issue has always been with identity, there is no issue with non-Irish-born players representing the national side, and most are as proud and patriotic to wear green as a man born within spitting distance of the Liffey.

It could be argued that in the past Ireland have not been selective enough, when assessing their options, hurriedly rushing into snapping players up without a rigorous investigation into the player’s background and motivation.

Too often, when faced with a lack of options, random players were called up, with wildly differing degrees of success.

Clinton Morrison is a clear example, moderately effective for a time, but without the quality or consistency to be an Ireland regular.

Andy O’Brien, Paul Butler, Don Goodman and Jon Macken are just a handful that were parachuted into a green shirt, with little known of their commitment to the Irish cause.

Now whilst these players will divide opinion on their commitment, which in itself is virtually immeasurable, the issue that has irked modern Ireland fans is players turning the national team down.

This has been an unsavoury subject, with players such as Michael Keane, Patrick Bamford and Dan Crowley representing Ireland at an underage level, but declining further call-ups, to essentially keep their options open. The most famous example of this was the case of Jack Grealish, a promising talent, who had his head turned by nothing more than the suggestion of an England call up. The reality is that all three of these players are a million miles away from an England squad, with their club careers in no man’s land.

But in the case of Grealish, Ireland should credit themselves with the dignity with which they handled the situation. O’Neill remained stoic on the Aston Villa midfielder, whilst Roy Hodgson made the cooing noises at him.

The message was clear, show pride and ability in an Ireland shirt, then you have a chance. If you do not, then the Aviva is not the place for you.

Creating and managing that culture of commitment was something we explored here previously.

Ireland no longer need to, nor will they, pass a begging bowl around the English leagues again. This is seen in O’Neill’s handling of Scott Hogan of Brentford, giving the striker time to regain fitness, before making an approach.

There is now a proving ground within the Ireland squad, and the non-Irish-born players have risen to the challenge. James McCarthy has risked the wrath of his club manager to play for Ireland, Jon Walters has become a fans’ favourite with his committed displays and Harry Arter has refused to let persistent injuries deny him a place in the Irish midfield.

International football can be used as a vehicle to further aspects in a player’s career, there is no place for that with Ireland, as a mentality change has seen Ireland genuinely have the best of both worlds.

There are no tears shed over the Grealishes and the Bamfords, instead a realism of maybe things happen for a reason, but if you have passion and talent, Ireland fans will love you whether you from Buncrana or Basildon.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    God thats well off the mark on Clinton. Very effective for us and anytime I see him on sky or hear him on talksport he is bursting with pride for ireland

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Was it ever established if Connor Mahony is dual or not ? Very impressive off the bench V ManU today I thought on the right hand side.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    God thats well off the mark on Clinton. Very effective for us and anytime I see him on sky or hear him on talksport he is bursting with pride for ireland
    Agree fully. Nine goals in thirty-six appearances over six years is a record to be proud of and he would have had more only for the emergence of Kevin Doyle and Shane Long, which is hardly cause to refer to him as being "without the quality or consistency to be an Ireland regular". He still had the quality to be an Ireland regular, only a player with a little bit more quality came along.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Yup, harsh to lump Clinton in with some of those other names alright. Clinton showed exemplary commitment and desire from day one and, as you say, he's still just as passionate about Ireland and clearly loved his experiences with the team. For that reason, the fans reciprocate such positive sentiment. Or I feel most do anyway. I certainly do; I'm a big fan of Clinton. I'm pretty sure he speaks of choosing Ireland (over Jamaica and England) as the best decision he ever made. I think he's a great example of a player who may not necessarily have grown up feeling massively Irish or who may not have been all that in tune with the Irish aspect of his heritage, but, in opting to represent Ireland, he grew into it and was able to explore and develop that dormant or latent element of his identity. And that's fine, as far as I'm concerned. He embraced the Irish aspect of his identity and gave his all. Can't ask for more than that.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Was it ever established if Connor Mahony is dual or not ? Very impressive off the bench V ManU today I thought on the right hand side.
    His name did stand out, and particularly with the commentator butchering the pronunciation. He went with the more Americanised ma-HONE-ee rather than MA-hon-ee...

Can't see any sign that he's eligible, but you never know.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    His name did stand out, and particularly with the commentator butchering the pronunciation. He went with the more Americanised ma-HONE-ee rather than MA-hon-ee...

Can't see any sign that he's eligible, but you never know.
    Rob Brennan tweeted about him but I'm not sure what it means.
    https://twitter.com/RobBrennan82/sta...79077901914113
    Quote Originally Posted by rob brennan
    Connor Anthony Mahoney of #BRFC. Noel King definitely back enquiries into whether he is eligible for Ireland. Not sure on the outcome.