Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence

"You can decorate absence however you want- but you're still gonna feel what’s missing.”

― Siobhan Vivian, Same Difference
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Scott Hogan is doing a medical with Villa as we speak, staying in the championship will mean he is slightly more likely to declare for us
    A move to Villa has to be good for our chances. Steve Bruce has never stood in the way of players playing internationals that I'm aware of, including his own son when he was with us
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    A move to Villa has to be good for our chances. Steve Bruce has never stood in the way of players playing internationals that I'm aware of, including his own son when he was with us
    Did Dean Smith prevent Hogan from playing for Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    No. Not that we know of although I'm sure he would have wanted Hogan to prioritize his health and club career. It has always seemed that it is Hogan who is preventing Hogan from committing to Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Maybe but not that I'm aware of. He probably didn't encourage it either though. It's just an impression i get but it seems like Bruce thinks being an international helps players develop.

Maybe that impression is completely wrong but it's an idea about Bruce that I've picked up from somewhere.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I can't believe the fuss over Hogan and his value based upon a good run at Brentford. I am not talking from an Irish point of view where my motto is sign them up even if they only watched an episode of Father Ted but based upon a season at Rochdale and half a season at Brentford. Is he that special ? The standard in the Championship isn't that high. Look at Jordan Rhodes - can score for fun in that league but can't get in the Boro side in the EPL. The latter lacks pace - perhaps that is what Hogan has. Haven't been monitoring his goals so not so sure what is so special about him.

2010 Woodley Sports 27(21)
    2010–2011 FC Halifax Town 14(0)
    2010 → Woodley Sports (loan) 0(0)
    2011 → Mossley (loan) 4 (1)
    2011–2012 Stocksbridge Park Steels 16 (7)
    2012–2013 Ashton United 8 (1)
    2013 Hyde 11 (3)
    2013–2014 Rochdale 33 (17)
    2014– Brentford 33 (21)
    The only concern is from an Irish point of view, nothing else matters.
    If it does turn out that Hogan is worth the faith shown in his ability and ends up playing for Ireland, then all is well with life.
    If it doesn't work out, then we are not losing anything.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Bamford has joined Middlesbrough permanently in a deal worth £6 million after poor showings whilst on loan from Chelsea at Norwich, Crystal Palace and Burnley: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...lesbrough.html

He seems to suggest his privileged background has held his footballing career back due to a sort of reverse-classist stereotyping from figures like Sean Dyche at Burnley.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Ladyman
    Bamford's last goal, however, was almost two years ago and it was for Middlesbrough. In truth, the 23-year-old's time away from the club has been disastrous. He has barely played for a season and a half.

He laughs about it but that's not because he doesn't care and admitted yesterday that his last loan spell, at Burnley, has left him particularly driven to make up for lost time.

'Me and the boys got on fine but me and Sean Dyche just clashed,' he said.

'I could sit down and talk to him now and be civil but we had different ideas of football. I didn't get a chance. His team has done great, mind. I can't argue with that.'

Bamford's back story is well known. Privately educated with a string of GCSEs, he is also a talented musician. Having turned down a Harvard scholarship, he wouldn't change any of it but wonders now if his upbringing has worked against him with some.

'There were a few comments at Burnley,' he said. 'Dyche said that because I had come through at Chelsea – and because of the way I had been brought up - I had never had to work for anything.

'My background is irrelevant and I didn't even come through at Chelsea. I started at Nottingham Forest cleaning toilets and scrubbing the shower floors.

'So saying I didn't want it enough was upsetting. I went home every night wondering how to get in the Burnley team.

It was: 'You've been brought up nicely, had everything handed to you'.

'Is that what people think just because I went to private school and played instruments?

'People don't know. My parents never let me have everything. If I started something I had to finish.

'Like with violin. I started when I was seven only because my best mate wanted to. I hated it and wanted to quit but dad made me continue and I got to grade seven.

'My parents said I had to know the value of stuff and work for stuff. But when you get dragged along in paper headlines about things outside the game, football people pick up on it.

'People think I don't mind that much but for me not playing is the hardest thing ever. Sitting in the stands has been a nightmare.'

The day he scored his last goal in April 2015 Karanka described Bamford as: 'The best young player in the league. He is amazing'.

It was strange, therefore, to read the Middlesbrough manager's comments this week as he talked about the club's failure to spend big in the January window.

'Patrick didn't play for 18 months so I don't think he is an amazing improvement,' said Karanka.

When this was put to Bamford yesterday he was unfazed.

'I totally didn't know about that and I'm not worried,' he smiled.

'He has spoken to me a few times already and we have a great relationship. Even after I left first time we were texting and in contact. He trusts me and that's important.

'He said last week: 'I know you will try and do everything at once. But remember that you haven't played for 18 months. I know you will become the player we know you can be but don't try and do it all in one go'.

'For me, that was perfect. I know I will get in to the team when I am ready and I think that will be in the near future but he is playing it his way.

'He has worked at Real Madrid with Mourinho. He has seen how to manage players. He will get me to where I need to be.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Gareth Southgate comes from a working class background. There's still hope!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Aye, we've all got the Rosary beads out...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Lukas Jutkiewicz scored a late winner for Birmingham against Fulham yesterday. It's his eleventh this season for them, which is only three behind Scott Hogan. Goal here:
    https://youtu.be/4VXPwgrB3LI?t=258

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Trevor Sinclair, whose mother is from Sligo, was on 'Off the Ball' yesterday evening and claimed he'd happily have played for us if only the FAI had approached him before the English FA did.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sinclair
    If Ireland had have come for me first, I definitely would have gone for Ireland. I definitely had an affiliation with Ireland. We were brought up that way although I lived all my life in England.

[Ireland] actually came in for me just after I'd made an under-21 appearance at competitive level [for England] and the rules at the time were that if you had played under-21 you couldn't change nationality. It's changed now.

There was an inquiry from Jack just before the 1994 World Cup. I'd had half a season at QPR and there was an inquiry came in from Ireland to see if I was available for the full-team. Unfortunately that ship had sailed.

But I'm sure if I had got that opportunity to play with the greats like Paul McGrath and Chrissy Hughton, I would have definitely jumped at it... You got McAteer instead!
    Link to the show here: https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Of...lair_interview

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Adam Barton has scored for Partick this afternoon and I was reminded that he played for NI (senior friendly) and us (U-21), so I decided to look him up.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...y-adam-8772617

Barton was born in Clitheroe, but qualified for both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland through his Belfast-born grandfather.

After being capped by Northern Ireland in a friendly against Morocco in November 2010 he then switched to playing for the Republic's Under-21 side and, although full caps have failed to materialise so far, he has no regrets.

The Partick Thistle signing said: "I was 19 at the time, doing really well at Preston and I got the call from Northern Ireland saying, 'We have a friendly against Morocco, are you interested?' and straight away I said, 'Of course'.

"I was eligible also through my granddad and if he had a say in it I don't think I would have made the step to the Republic, but I did and it was all good.

"I met some great friends there and it was great experience.

"Things didn't go as well as I thought they would, but that is fine, that was my decision and I am happy I did both because I have met some good friends through it."

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Trevor Sinclair, whose mother is from Sligo, was on 'Off the Ball' yesterday evening and claimed he'd happily have played for us if only the FAI had approached him before the English FA did.

Link to the show here: https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Of...lair_interview
    Might be better in this thread. He can join the ranks of an impressive looking side at this stage http://foot.ie/threads/105089-The-ones-that-got-away
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    That Callum Robinson is looking great alongside McGeady and Horgan any time I see him. Wouldn't turn my nose up at him if he were really (gut test) interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    How does Robinson qualify and has he ever expressed any indication of possible interest that we know of?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    How does Robinson qualify and has he ever expressed any indication of possible interest that we know of?
    https://twitter.com/RobBrennan82/sta...36730520555521

Bit of talk over on YBIG culminated in his father retweeting the above.

EDIT: His father actually stated he doesn't qualify under that tweet. Case closed. Liked the look of him.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Doesn't his father tweet that he doesn't qualify for Scotland there? Only indication I can see about Ireland is that his father retreated the tweet about FAI investigating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Who's Rob Brennan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Doesn't his father tweet that he doesn't qualify for Scotland there? Only indication I can see about Ireland is that his father retreated the tweet about FAI investigating.
    Aye, I'm pretty sure his father is saying he doesn't qualify for Scotland as his tweet is in direct reply to the tweet asking, "Can they check for a Scottish connection while they are at it?"

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Who's Rob Brennan?
    A second-generation Irish (I think) London-based QPR fan who used to write for the Irish Post. He may have other media connections too.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    There are five Irish players at Preston. I think if Robinson was eligible and interested, he would make his interest known.