Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 112 of 257 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    "They are mentally tough to play over here and definitely, the League of Ireland is a good stepping stone towards getting to England.” - Ryan Manning
    I'm assuming he's referring to League of Ireland players.

“I want to play international football for my country like every Irish footballer wants to do,” Manning told RTE Sport after Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Fulham, where the former Ireland Under-19 international scored his first league goal en route to picking up the man-of-the-match award.
    Ryan Manning referring to his country.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    And in the same breath

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Manning View Post
    “They’re mid World Cup qualifiers at the moment so I’m just going to keep playing at club level, improve and play as many games as I can.

“And if Martin O’Neill feels that I deserve a call up, I’d be absolutely over the moon with it. So my long-term goal is to play international football.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I'm not going to retract the accusation over you and Delorean resorting to insulting me. Ye both insulted me several times and ye know fully well ye did! If I'm forced to find the insults (which have probably been edited in any case) I will do so, but I'm not going to spend hours sifting through comments now. I'll do it when I have the time.
    Okay but just so we're on the same page, you'll be digging out examples of namecalling, as that was the accusation. I've only so much control over what you decide to get insulted by. Why would I engage in namecalling and then edit the post? You can only edit posts within a day or two anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    - McGoldrick had an Irish link through adoptive parents. He only found out he had a blood link through his maternal grandmother as an adult.

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...reland-call-up
    So you accept that he's had a connection to Ireland since he was a kid and thus had an emotional desire to play for us? If so, good; we're on the same page.

I'm not going to retract the accusation over you and Delorean resorting to insulting me. Ye both insulted me several times and ye know fully well ye did! If I'm forced to find the insults (which have probably been edited in any case) I will do so, but I'm not going to spend hours sifting through comments now. I'll do it when I have the time.
    Righto. Don't leave it hanging now...

Did I jokingly complain about Bamford saying "the country"?

No, I didn't. So stick to the topic at hand and stop dredging stuff up from several months ago just to wind someone up.
    I'm confused now as I didn't mention Bamford. What has Bamford got to do with it? You targeted Arter, O'Dowda and Pilkington for using a particular phrase that you claimed Ireland-born players wouldn't use - your insinuation obviously being that use of this phrase might be evidence or some sort of indication that the former group may be lacking in genuine connection, commitment or emotional interest - so I've mentioned those three, but I've also provided evidence of numerous Ireland-born players (Robbie Keane, Shane Long and David Forde, for example) using the phrase too, so your observation or assumption that Ireland-born players wouldn't use the phrase is evidently incorrect, meaning your negative judgment of Arter, O'Dowda and Pilkington on the basis of them using said phrase is unfair.

In what way have I gone off-topic? I'm challenging stuff raised by yourself in the thread that stood out to me since I was last here. Challenging something with which you happen to take issue in a perfectly reasonable and civil manner - which is what I have done - isn't the same thing as winding someone up. Can't we just discuss the issues raised - they're totally valid and it's completely reasonable to pull you up on what you say - rather than you resorting to paranoid accusations and playing the victim? Why does every attempt to debate something with you have to devolve into that? Just take some responsibility for what you say and stop trying to deflect blame onto me. Please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    He (McGoldrick, not you) says he developed an interest in playing for Ireland when he explored his biological mother's background in the article I posted.

What Bamford has to do with it is that the discussion is currently about whether he is likely to play for Ireland or not. The discussion hasn't been about Arter, O'Dowda or Pilkington saying my country/the country/Ireland/Timbuktu for months and months. And you bringing it up is borderline trolling. There are plenty of times I was going back and forth with you and decided to leave it for my own sanity. I could go back and revive an argument that ended 9 months ago just to boost my ego but I have the self-awareness to see that would be completely absurd.

The "evidence" you provided for McClean wasn't very evident. But then someone comparing Anthony Pilkington's Irishness to James McClean and Robbie Keane's kind of speaks for itself anyway.

And, of course, TOWK still winding everyone up...
    That was in your first post since returning to the forum, yet I'm paranoid and playing the victim.

You're gas.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 22/01/2017 at 1:08 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    The birth link only confirmed his eligibility, but he was already eligible through his adoptive family who themselves were Irish. That's what I thought anyway. I was under the impression that McGoldrick had always identified as being Irish. Can't be sure though as I don't get hung up about these things.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    McGoldrick says in the interview above there that he's wanted to play for Ireland since he's been a kid, but he says something like, "at the back of all the programmes, I've always had the Irish sign"... Am I picking that up correctly and, if so, what does he mean exactly?
    Hold on a second. I thought he only discovered that he was eligible for Ireland/had any links to Ireland through his birth mother a year or two ago? I find what he's saying incredibly hard to believe in fairness unless something was lost in translation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    From my understanding, he grew up in an Irish family but, being adopted, didn't think he qualified. He recently looked into his birth parents and found out one of them had Irish nationality.
    Ah I see. Fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    i think he means the irish flag???
    From earlier in the McGoldrick thread. "Ah I see. fair enough"!

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    The birth link only confirmed his eligibility, but he was already eligible through his adoptive family who themselves were Irish. That's what I thought anyway. I was under the impression that McGoldrick had always identified as being Irish. Can't be sure though as I don't get hung up about these things.
    Yeah, he just was misinformed that he was ineligible by virtue that his adoptive Irish family wasn't his biological family. Then it was a double-whammy when he realised a) that he was already eligible through his adoptive family and b) he had Irish blood through his biological family anyway.

So, he was doubly eligible!

I like him. He seems to love playing for us, genuinely. And he has been desperate unlucky for both us and for his club. Remember when Leicester went up and bid for him? Well, he's desperately unlucky not to have a PL medal. Injuries have ruled him out at times and he's so skillful too, I wonder have injuries robbed him of some speed or fitness too.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    He (McGoldrick, not you) says he developed an interest in playing for Ireland when he explored his biological mother's background in the article I posted.
    You've not answered the question. Do you accept that McGoldrick has had a connection to Ireland since he was a kid and thus had an emotional desire to play for us? The problem was that he didn't think he qualified until he traced his birth mother's family tree. You accepted that this was the case here. Are you now going back on that?

This is what he said to the Irish Sun before everything was sorted with the FAI:

"I knew there was an Irish link to the McGoldricks, but I had been adopted so I didn’t think that counted. I was only 17 when I was first asked and I didn’t know my background so I didn’t think I would be able to play for Ireland.

My adoptive mum treated me as if she was my real mum so I didn’t need another mother. But it was always in the back of my mind that I wanted to find out where I came from and I got in contact with my birth mum a few years ago and it went alright.

She mentioned that her dad was Irish. His surname was Howley and my birth mum’s name was Karen. She died a couple of years ago which is sad but I had gotten this interest to play for Ireland.

I would like to follow it through. I haven’t been in contact with anyone from the FAI. I just want to get the paperwork done – it is up to me to prove the link and then make myself available for selection.

My club football is the most important thing but I would love to play for Ireland. With Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane there, as well as a lot of good players, it would be great to be a part of that."

And this is what he said in the FAI video I posted above after the confirmation came through:

"I've got lots of Irish connections, but it's just there was this complicated situation of chasing it all together. For a long time, I've wanted to play for Ireland. Since I've been a kid, on the back of the programmes, I've always had the Irish sign. But it's like, actually getting the confirmation of it, I'm delighted that it's gone through now and I'm really, really excited to put on the jersey if I can."

What Bamford has to do with it is that the discussion is currently about whether he is likely to play for Ireland or not. The discussion hasn't been about Arter, O'Dowda or Pilkington saying my country/the country/Ireland/Timbuktu for months and months. And you bringing it up is borderline trolling. There are plenty of times I was going back and forth with you and decided to leave it for my own sanity. I could go back and revive an argument that ended 9 months ago just to boost my ego but I have the self-awareness to see that would be completely absurd.
    The Bamford discussion is a separate conversation in this thread. You raising it with me is a red herring. If you want my opinion, for what it's worth, I have no idea how likely it is that he might play for Ireland some day. I'd say it's only a possibility; not a probability.

The Arter/O'Dowda thing was first raised by you in this thread in mid-November; not "9 months ago" or "months and months" ago. Anyway, not that that should really matter if you were truly interested in sincere discussion and debate. I've taken up points and discussions with other posters that may be a few months old elsewhere on the forum. It's hardly trolling or absurd seeing as I've not been on for a while. I'm just adding my tuppence-worth to relevant discussions that stood out in particular, as I think I'm entitled to do, no? Discussion is fluid and you can have a few ongoing in a thread simultaneously; I think we're allowed to go back and forth to old points and new points, aren't we? What's the big issue? It's a discussion forum and some points you'd made in the thread jarred with me. Why not just discuss the matter rather than side-stepping it by making a big deal out of the fact your views have simply been challenged?

osarusan once posted this Ralph Waldo Emerson quote in another thread:

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

I've always liked it, but I think it's very fitting here.

The "evidence" you provided for McClean wasn't very evident. But then someone comparing Anthony Pilkington's Irishness to James McClean and Robbie Keane's kind of speaks for itself anyway.
    I said I was pretty certain I've heard McClean say "the country" and also provided two examples of McClean saying "this country". That was all. Anyhow, even if you wish to discount McClean, I've provided indisputable evidence of Robbie Keane, Shane Long and David Forde all using the phrase, so your point and the related presumption simply aren't valid.

Who's comparing Irishness? Strawman alert.

That was in your first post since returning to the forum, yet I'm paranoid and playing the victim.

You're gas.
    That was actually my eighth post since Friday night and that comment was in light of your prior contentious form (which I noticed hasn't changed much), but it was also meant somewhat light-heartedly, hence the smilie. Hardly paranoia or victim-playing on my part. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Scott Hogan nearing West Ham move and expected to be completed this week according to Sky sources. I am mostly looking forward to his press conference when they ask about his future ambitions. That will put the International debate to bed.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Again.

"I got in contact with my birth mum a few years ago. She mentioned that her dad was Irish. She died a couple of weeks ago which is sad, but I'd gotten this interest in playing for Ireland."
    I.e. acquire; obtain

I have learned not to place much stock in footballer PR exercises anyways after the Grealish situation but believe what you want to believe!

I'm not interested in any kind of debate with you sincere or otherwise, just like all the people who block you on Twitter, because you are an absolute winder! It's not just that you have revived a debate that ended two months ago, it's the complete banality of it.

Questioning something I said over Bamford fair enough, but a light-hearted comment about footballers saying "the country"?!

It's not a strawman. Comparing Pilkington and Keane's Irishness sums up how you completely ignored the context of the quotes when you compared what McClean said to what Pilkington/Arter/O'Dowda said.

And, of course, TOWK still winding everyone up...
    Maybe if you included one full stop instead of three it would be less obvious what your intentions were when you made that daft comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    When d'you reckon you'll be producing the namecalling evidence? Just want to know how long I'll be holding my breath.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I'm have no interest in letting this drag out any longer, McGoldrick has demonstrated an affinity for the Irish team for a long time, and put significant effort into validating his eligibility before making his debut.
    That's the end of the discussion.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    When d'you reckon you'll be producing the namecalling evidence? Just want to know how long I'll be holding my breath.
    I will only go looking for it if I am forced to.

I'd have more respect for you if you just owned up to it, because you did it more than once and you're bound to remember.

Other people are bound to remember.

I'm guessing it happened before I took my sabbatical so I will start then (if I am forced to).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I will only go looking for it if I am forced to.

I'd have more respect for you if you just owned up to it, because you did it more than once and you're bound to remember.

Other people are bound to remember.

I'm guessing it happened before I took my sabbatical so I will start then (if I am forced to).
    Do it. Loser takes a week off.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Can you give me until Wednesday?

It's going to take me ages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Can you give me until Wednesday?

It's going to take me ages.
    Midnight tomorrow (i.e. Tuesday night/Wednesday morning)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Okay.

I'm looking now. My post history only goes back to the beginning of January, so I'm searching every thread manually. If I can't find it by then I will accept the week ban graciously - although I do recall several instances where you deleted large swathes of posts so the relevant insults may have been deleted too.

Anyways, I will PM you if I find them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I can still view deleted posts, if you think it's one of them, PM me a link and I'll check it out.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Isn't he already very busy with other homework you set for him ?