Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 102 of 257 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Michael Keane has been called up to the England senior squad in place of the injured Glen Johnson.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Leicester were constantly linked with him also in the summer. so I guess he has backed himself back up the ladder & to get in their side, a lot like Cahill did I suppose even though Villa let him go.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    only young but has this lad ever played for us -> https://www.theguardian.com/football...r-league-clubs
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    This guy?

The 16-year-old winger impressed after initially arriving on trial from the Dublin-based St Kevin’s Boys Club towards the end of last season. The young Irishman, who has been capped at Under-17 level, spent 10 years with St Kevin’s, a club that nurtured Hull City’s Robbie Brady and Burnley’s Jeff Hendrick as well as, in years gone by, Robbie Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    I'm guessing Paul's not asking if Dublin born Gavin Kilkenny, pictured in an Ireland kit, has ever played for us?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm guessing Paul's not asking if Dublin born Gavin Kilkenny, pictured in an Ireland kit, has ever played for us?
    You really wouldn't know! OK, I concede it might be Tyrone O'Neill (would he be a Tyrone O'Neill?) and Lee Connelly is pale enough to be of Roscommon descent.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 04/10/2016 at 5:24 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It's Tyrone O'Neill of course, his father is red hugh of Tyrone.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    He should adopt the engagement approach practised by Jack - grab him round the neck & push him up against the wall til he agrees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    He should adopt the engagement approach practised by Jack - grab him round the neck & push him up against the wall til he agrees.
    I wish he did. It is about time we got a few lads on board again that could make a difference.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Leon McSweeney's take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Leon McSweeney's take.
    Good article. I don't mind us pursuing or courting qualified players but it is papering over the cracks as McSweeney says and the knock backs, if they are (we can only speculate as to the conversations that occur during the process), are embarrassing and, frankly, very difficult to take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Why don't we simply do both ie. Develop our own players and get the best of who we can on the granny rule like every other footballing nation that exists does or tries to do to get their best squad possible. You would swear from some insecure Irish people that we are the only ones to do it. There's no mention from McSweeney of Houghton, Townsend, Aldridge etc. and their contribution to the Irish cause. Scott Hogan or Sean Maguire?? I know who I would have anyway. However, I agree that if we ask a player once and he doesn't come on board then we shouldn't go back to him to beg him again and I do agree that far more should be done to develop our own players.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 08/10/2016 at 6:48 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Steve Bruce on how he could have played for Ireland at USA '94, but was stopped by Alex Ferguson, audio isn't great
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Steve Bruce on how he could have played for Ireland at USA '94, but was stopped by Alex Ferguson, audio isn't great
    That rule would have been very hard on us if it continued . Did Souness ship Steve Staunton off to Villa because Liverpool had too many foreigners . Another Souness mistake at Liverpool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    . Scott Hogan or Sean Maguire?? I know who I would have anyway.
    Me too, though I suspect I might have a different answer to you. I don't now who this Scott Hogan is,but if he has to be "persuaded" to play for Ireland then there should not even be a discussion. I don't know about Sean Maguire, though he is playing very well at the moment, but Daryl Horgan should be in the squad, as should Chris Forrestor.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Horgan deserves a look, I'll give you, but Forrester hasn't proved himself at a higher level than League One yet. His goal yesterday will get some attention, but that was Peterborough's first win in nine games. When you think that Whelan, Arter and McCarthy are playing regular Premier League football, Hoolahan and O'Kane seem to be automatic squad picks (if not automatic starters) and August Championship Player of the Month Conor Hourihane can't get in the playing squad, it's hard to see Forrester doing anything with the national side until he gets a move to a better side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    Horgan deserves a look, I'll give you, but Forrester hasn't proved himself at a higher level than League One yet. His goal yesterday will get some attention, but that was Peterborough's first win in nine games. When you think that Whelan, Arter and McCarthy are playing regular Premier League football, Hoolahan and O'Kane seem to be automatic squad picks (if not automatic starters) and August Championship Player of the Month Conor Hourihane can't get in the playing squad, it's hard to see Forrester doing anything with the national side until he gets a move to a better side.
    Tets, everything you say there makes plenty of sense, and is very logical. I don't believe it is as clear-cut as that though, and Wes is probably the best example to qualify my point below.

I said a week or so ago that our midfield options are now quite good - with a decent bit of variety depending on what formation O'Neill employs.

International football is different to club football. There are a lot of seriously crap managers plying their trade in the Uk, and a serious amount of spoofers. We are absolutely obsessed with the level of football our players are playing at in England. Generally if you're outside the top 6, it doesn't matter, as the standard is crap anyway. There's a very fine line between mid ranking premiership and mid-ranking championship.

What's impressed everyone (seemingly) about Forrester, is that he has developed in a position that very few would have thought about for him, and he appears to be a cut above most he shares a football pitch with. Naturally that should lead to a big-money move, but sometimes club football doesn't work that way. Maybe the boy is happy where he is? Is it possible that he could do for us what Glenn Whelan does - absolutely. However we know he has much more to offer offensively than Whelan.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Alex Bruce mentioned Nigel Worthington was constantly on to him about switching to the north. Wasn't Nigel moaning that we were tapping up northern players around the same period?

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Well at least we know where things stand now - Hogan is willing to listen and MON is going to have a talk with him in the next few weeks, so while there's a slight chance he might come on board for the Austria game, the Spring qualifier against Wales is probably a more realistic aim. If he's not on board by then, we can probably move on to hoping a couple of players from Duffus, Hale, Maguire, Wilkinson, Grego-Cox, McDonagh and Metz make a big breakthrough over the next 18-20 months because after that, we'll almost certainly lose Murphy, Doyle and Walters to retirement.