Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Why do people keep forgetting David McGoldrick?
    I guess people don't consider that MON really recruited him - McGoldrick wanted to play for us, researched his own family tree and on learning he had a connection, got his passport and made himself available for selection.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    How long ago is it since he returned from injury? 6, 7 months?

Lads like Arter, McGoldrick, Pilkington, Meyler, Wilson, Gibson and Duffy just off the top of my head have had a torrid time with injuries in the past and have all accepted International call ups as soon as they have recovered - some have even exacerbated injuries or played with injuries such is their professionalism or desire to play for their country.

The lad has not committed to us yet. It's as simple as that.

He openly tweets and comments about supporting England and is talking about playing Premiership football.

It's unfortunate, but England is his first choice.

And it is highly unlikely he would turn down an England call up citing injuries that he recovered from 7 months ago.
    Reminds me of Clinton Morrison who gave the same sort of vibes when asked about who he would commit to. Whether or not he decided on us because he felt he would not get a game.for England, his commitment and dedication to Ireland can.never be questioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    hogan was discussed on last night's Off The Ball with Mark Ogen from the (English) Independent : http://cdn.radiocms.net/media/001/au...audio_file.mp3
    Discussion starts at the 25 minute mark
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    This reeks of a planted agent story, I fully expect both will be in the next England U21 squad.

Would be delighted if I was wrong though!!
    Might have been something in it.

Ireland’s pursuit of Josh and Jacob Murphy appears over though after the Norwich City twins pledged their allegiance to England.

Winger Josh told the Eatern Daily Press: “We’ve heard the rumours and speculation but I don’t think we’ve got any Irish in us. There’s been enquiries but I doubt we can play. Our main focus is club football and if we get into England then we get into England.”
    I didn't realise O'Neill was at the Brentford game the other day. He surely sussed things out with regards Hogan at the very least and the article suggests Egan might challenge for Alex Pearce's spot. Kind of ironic if it does happen seeing as Pearce is finally getting a run of games at club level.

Irish Examiner: Busy Bees make case to Martin O'Neill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Josh Murphy says he, and his brother, are not eligible: http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/n...orts_1_4706502
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Looks like the Murphy twins have an agent who spotted an opportunity to plant a story in the hope that England U 21 Manager Southgate would sit up and take notice. Hogan and Egan not in latest squad so the speculation continues, In fairness to Hogan he has had a horiffic time with injuries over the past 2 years and is prob ahead of schedule as his return to full fitness is being managed. This buys him a little more time in relation to his intentions re Ireland, If he has not declared by the end of 2016/early 2017 well then its time to wish him well and move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.the42.ie/kenny-shiels-ire...94587-Sep2016/

DERRY CITY MANAGER Kenny Shiels has questioned the eligibility of some of Ireland’s players, describing international football as “diabolical.”

“International football’s not what it used to be. There’s no pride in it anymore because you could have a pint of Guinness and play for Ireland,” Shiels said.

“It doesn’t interest me one bit, not one bit. The Republic of Ireland are England reserves and Northern Ireland are England’s reserves’ reserves. It’s diabolical. I’ve no time for it all.”

The former Kilmarnock manager however was full of praise for Dundalk’s Daryl Horgan, after his side lost 3-1 to Dundalk, despite the winger being left out of Martin O’Neill’s 33-man squad.

“He’s a very good player, you can’t take that away from him.

“He’ll probably, hopefully get a move to England, he deserves to.

“You can see the amount of energy that he has and the amount of work that he puts in.

“They’re blessed to have him and the league is blessed to have him.

“I’m confident that he can go and play for the Republic of Ireland, there’s no question in my mind about that. It’s none of my business but I’m pleased for him.”

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    You wouldn't want to be too sensitive if you invited Kenny Shields around for dinner.................

Interesting guy and certainly not afraid to give his opinion......

We all love to think that we want to hear from people with outspoken opinions but we ain't always happy when it happens............

Keep it up Kenny , It gives us stuff to ponder .

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Rushian Marcus Amari Hepburn-Murphy featured for Aston Villa today..... well if its good enough to link the Norwich twins.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Putin will be after him too with a name like that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Rushian Marcus Amari Hepburn-Murphy featured for Aston Villa today..... well if its good enough to link the Norwich twins.
    Who played in midfield and upfront ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Well his lines about having a pint of Guinness and playing for Ireland and that The Republic of Ireland are England reserves are demonstrably nonsense: 22 of the 33 members of the upcoming squad are Irish born and/or raised. Ciaran Clark and Jonathan Walters qualify through Irish parents. McGeady and McCarthy aren't English, have strong emotional ties to Ireland and endured abuse for their decision to join us. Richard Keogh referred to captaining Ireland as "the proudest moment of my career by a long way and when the gaffer said I was going to be captain I was lost for words really. Walking out onto that pitch is something that I will remember forever and I thank him for that.” And that was against Oman. When called up to the U-21s Callum O'Dowda told Oxford United's website ""I am very proud and very excited to have the call up. It is a privilege to be included. I was approached a few weeks ago to see if I would be interested because of my family’s Irish background. I jumped at the chance and can’t wait to be involved." Harry Arter has been involved with us since his mid-teens. Which leaves just four (Westwood, Pilkington, Christie and Pearce) who come even remotely close to what Shiels refers to in his Guinness barb i.e. "tenuous" connection (meaning grandparents are Irish) and maybe weren't thinking of playing for Ireland as they grew up (although I'm open to correction on that). And all four of them are really back-up players currently, with only Westwood having broken ten caps and I don't think you could say they've let us down in any way. TBH Shiels sounds like a bit of a barstooler, which is disappointing for someone managing in a league which is regularly perceived in an overly negative light by barstoolers.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    And I love the "international football isn't what it used to be". It used to be worse in terms of sketchy qualification.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Well his lines about having a pint of Guinness and playing for Ireland and that The Republic of Ireland are England reserves are demonstrably nonsense: 22 of the 33 members of the upcoming squad are Irish born and/or raised. Ciaran Clark and Jonathan Walters qualify through Irish parents. McGeady and McCarthy aren't English, have strong emotional ties to Ireland and endured abuse for their decision to join us. Richard Keogh referred to captaining Ireland as "the proudest moment of my career by a long way and when the gaffer said I was going to be captain I was lost for words really. Walking out onto that pitch is something that I will remember forever and I thank him for that.” And that was against Oman. When called up to the U-21s Callum O'Dowda told Oxford United's website ""I am very proud and very excited to have the call up. It is a privilege to be included. I was approached a few weeks ago to see if I would be interested because of my family’s Irish background. I jumped at the chance and can’t wait to be involved." Harry Arter has been involved with us since his mid-teens. Which leaves just four (Westwood, Pilkington, Christie and Pearce) who come even remotely close to what Shiels refers to in his Guinness barb i.e. "tenuous" connection (meaning grandparents are Irish) and maybe weren't thinking of playing for Ireland as they grew up (although I'm open to correction on that). And all four of them are really back-up players currently, with only Westwood having broken ten caps and I don't think you could say they've let us down in any way. TBH Shiels sounds like a bit of a barstooler, which is disappointing for someone managing in a league which is regularly perceived in an overly negative light by barstoolers.
    Pilkington did have one U21 cap before he made his senior debut, not sure if that makes any difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Kenny Shiels is just a mouthpiece who has a track record of making moronic statements, when he was @ Kilmarnock he was a regular rent a quote in the red tops
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Pilkington did have one U21 cap before he made his senior debut, not sure if that makes any difference.
    Counts for an extra couple of Guinnesses and maybe a Murphy's or a Beamish at least

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    For establishing ethnic credibility, one Murphy is probably worth 4 Guinness.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Like Eddie Murphy then. As black as the Irish stuff, as irish as the black stuff.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    What does he mean there is no pride in it anymore? Pride for who ? The supporter or the player? The player? I have yet to see an Irish team, no matter its ethnicity, not go out and play with pride or passion. I have seen us walloped OK but that was never down to lack of effort but rather lack of ability or poor management. The supporter ? Tell that to those who almost brought the roof down or shed a tear at the Irish anthem against Sweden in Paris or those who sang in Poland after the final game in that poor campaign. Perhaps only those who believe that we should have the Irish equivalent of the Nuremberg Laws to qualify as Irish lack pride in the team.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    What does he mean there is no pride in it anymore? Pride for who ? The supporter or the player? The player? I have yet to see an Irish team, no matter its ethnicity, not go out and play with pride or passion. I have seen us walloped OK but that was never down to lack of effort but rather lack of ability or poor management. The supporter ? Tell that to those who almost brought the roof down or shed a tear at the Irish anthem against Sweden in Paris or those who sang in Poland after the final game in that poor campaign. Perhaps only those who believe that we should have the Irish equivalent of the Nuremberg Laws to qualify as Irish lack pride in the team.
    I dare say old chap, but are you invoking Goodwin's Law already, after 5 seconds?