Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hibernian FC and there place in Irish History

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Large posts are too hard to read. I'll write less in future.
    "It is not to those who can inflict most, but to those who can endure most, that the victory is certain"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When Dundee Hibernian were promoted to the Scottish League it was Hibernian who asked that they change the name , to avoid confusion. They then became Dundee Utd.

Dundee Hibernian were formed by a Hibs fan Paddy Reilly, who had a Bicycle shop on Leith Walk and one in Dundee. When the shop in Dundee became really popular he missed his Saturday afternoons watching the Hibs so instituted the Dundee version. Hibs played them in their first game, the winning team (Edinburgh Hibernian) being presented with a green bike as a prize.

The Harry Swan debate continues elsewhere -

http://www.etims.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6752

This is particularly entertaining with McGoldenbhoy contributions being the pick of the bunch. The fact that everything in life for him has to boil down to sectarianism says more about himself than any Hibs Chairman.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Rebel Bhoy
    Sure thing. Myth No 1: Commentators have the correct pronunciation when they refer to Hibernians' Derek REEOR-DAN!!

I've just been looking on the E-Tims website and the thread has kinda degenerated a bit into name calling and "we're better than you because ...." I was a bit disturbed by the claims that Celtic are a Unionist club by seeking a move to the EPL. THats not really fair, Capitalist maybe, but Unionist....not really. I am not sure what worries me more!!! It got me thinking that its a bit sillly really as we are both denying each other a shared history that other clubs can only aspire to. Clubs founded with ideals that maybe we both have moved away from.
    Hibs have an Irish name, badge and motto and are the first to wear the Green and were the favoured club of James Connolly and were founded as a direct result of racism in Edinburgh and have managed to sucessfully integrate in Scottish society. NET RESULT: A SCOTTISH FOOTBALL CLUB PROUD OF ITS IRISH HERITAGE.
    Celtic, a club founded on the Hibs model as a charitable, non-sectarian football club, the favoured club of Michael Davitt who fly the tricolour as donated by the Irish Government. NET RESULT: A SCOTTISH FOOTBALL CLUB PROUD OF ITS IRISH ROOTS.

I don't know what got into me in the first place to make a row out of it?! I'm pretty sure that both of us have larger obstacles to face than each other like the continued racism and sectarianism that we both encounter.

I looked on the Dundee Utd Website and they stated that the change in name was "In order to attract wider appeal, the club decided to drop the reference to Hibernian from their title". I would read a lot into that statement about anti Irish attitudes in Scotland and how compromising ones history can completely change the direction of an organisation.

I think rows are just 'great fun', just ask my 'friends' on 'Hibees Bounce'. They focus the mind somewhat.

I'd pretty much agree with your summary, though Hibs weren't founded due to sectarianism or bigotry in Edinburgh, it was just a bunch of young guys who wanted to play football and represent there community so they kicked a ball about on 'The Meadows' and a football club then developed. It really was that simple.

Even today you see group's of Asians, African's, Eastern Europeans kicking a ball about on 'The Meadows' on a Sunday morning.
    It's the exact equivalent of the Irish immigrants' who lived in Edinburgh 125 years ago.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't know what got into me in the first place to make a row out of it?! I'm pretty sure that both of us have larger obstacles to face than each other like the continued racism and sectarianism that we both encounter.
    I agree with all that RB. Maybe as a Celtic fan you could take it up with the editor of the Celtic View who has saw fit to repeat the "Myth" about Swan yet again.

Hibs fans in general love Hibs rather than hate any other team - it's only when unrepresentative lies like this get spread that they get angry, quite rightly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I looked on the Dundee Utd Website and they stated that the change in name was "In order to attract wider appeal, the club decided to drop the reference to Hibernian from their title". I would read a lot into that statement about anti Irish attitudes in Scotland and how compromising ones history can completely change the direction of an organisation.
    Let me ask you a question. If you lived in a city with two clubs, one proud of its Scottish heritage in a non-sectarian way and the other proud of its Irish heritage in a non-sectarian way, which one would you support? I'll take the liberty of assumming you'd follow the club with the Irish heritage. Does that make you anti-Scottish and a bigot?

I'm not for a minute denying that sectarianism and bigotry exist in Scotland (although from what the Hibs fans are saying it's not as strong in Edinburgh as elsewhere) but look how easily these myths about Hibs have been created and perpetuated. Could it be that not all 'non-Celtic' people spend every waking hour plotting against you and some people follow their local team because its their local team and not because they are 'bigots without the bus fare'?
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dundee Utd's name change in 1923 may have to do with anti-Irish prejudice following the Irish War of Independence. But I may be wrong.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I probably would write to the Record, but I just don't buy it any more. I used to a couple of years back but it seems that its primary concern is not the fans issues (like safe passage to and from the Parkhead area) but promoting the Celtic brand lifestyle. Not to say that everything I own doesn't have celtic written on it somewhere.

I love a row too, but its a real pain in the arse when you get blown out of the water so quickly!!

Jim Smith, it is possible that these people are not 'bigots' but it is also possible, and some may say more likely, that attracting a support from outwith the community from which you were founded is possible without trampling all over your history...as shown with Hibernian in Edinburgh I guess. Arsenal didn't change their name when they ceased to be the Woolwich Arsenal did they? Should Wimbledon change their name “In order to attract wider appeal”??? Of course not.

It would be mere speculation to suggest what was or wasn’t going on in the minds of the Dundee Hibernian board when they took the decision to drop any association with Ireland, but more often than not, the most likely theory is the right one. With regards the prevalence of sectarianism in Scotland, the only times I have ever experienced sectarianism and racism in Scotland have been in Edinburgh…..although this is easily explained by the fact that when in Glasgow I am always amongst my own kind.
    "It is not to those who can inflict most, but to those who can endure most, that the victory is certain"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    stuff
    Much more sectarianism in Glasgow than anywhere else than Scotland amongst a huge number of the gruesome north-Brit twosome one set of whom are plastic paddies who indulge in football shirted political fantasies about not their own country - no they are British unionists in that one - but about a foreign country the political affairs of Ireland/Northern Ireland. The other lot are Brit bovver boys who hate fen*ans, Irish, homosexuals, Scottish independence, europeans blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Arguably even worse than the former but not by a great deal in my experience.

And year after year it goes on from both sides with reasonable Scots looking on with embarrassment about the lack of Scottish identity of our two major sporting representatives.

"But Celtic are Irish", I hear you cry due to Irish immigrants setting them up. When was that? 120 years ago! Exactly.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    stuff
    Much more sectarianism in Glasgow than anywhere else than Scotland amongst a huge number of the gruesome north-Brit twosome one set of whom are plastic paddies who indulge in football shirted political fantasies about not their own country - no they are British unionists in that one - but about a foreign country the political affairs of Ireland/Northern Ireland. The other lot are Brit bovver boys who hate fen*ans, Irish, homosexuals, Scottish independence, europeans blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Arguably even worse than the former but not by a great deal in my experience.

And year after year it goes on from both sides with reasonable Scots looking on with embarrassment about the lack of Scottish identity of our two major sporting representatives.

"But Celtic are Irish", I hear you cry due to Irish immigrants setting them up. When was that? 120 years ago! Exactly.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's a great line which I must paraphrase and use in future debates:

'Celtic fans are mostly British unionists in there own country but then become mostly Irish nationalists when discussing the affairs of a foreign country.'

Like it

The mind of a Celtic fan is indeed a strange one and this is with all respect to Rebel Bhoy who has been a great guy.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i swapped a fella for a hibs jersey a few days back and hibs were always my 2nd fav team behind celtic

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I figure some of you guys have e-mail updates when a thread is updated, so instead of starting a new thread, I’ll offer my congratulations for a job well done last night. As much as I wanted Celtic to win every single game and every competition, it is great to have a final without either of the old firm about. It’s the first for a while.
    As for that lot from the kingdom of darkness, I have genuine fears about their future. Perhaps it is just dawning on me now, but we need them to get out of this mess (football and financial) fairly fast because it won’t do us any favours.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cheers, RB.

With a team of wee laddies as well.

Always good to shove it up the Stickies.

We're in the final!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I figure some of you guys have e-mail updates when a thread is updated, so instead of starting a new thread, I’ll offer my congratulations for a job well done last night. As much as I wanted Celtic to win every single game and every competition, it is great to have a final without either of the old firm about. It’s the first for a while.
    As for that lot from the kingdom of darkness, I have genuine fears about their future. Perhaps it is just dawning on me now, but we need them to get out of this mess (football and financial) fairly fast because it won’t do us any favours.
    Cheers for that, when you are a Hibs fan you learn to live with all the disapointments and savour the fleeting moments of glory.
    Last night was one of the latter

Thanks again for the congratulations.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234