Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hibernian FC and there place in Irish History

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Guerzy
    This is the most constructive debate i ve seen in ages. Well done to our Scottish friends. i 'm still a Celtic supporter but its nice to get some good background history. Gary and Colm dont get too excited and lets keep this constructive. Tell me , do Hibs have potential fan wise in Edinburgh to maybe move on another level financially speaking. And is the policy of signing unknown foreigners and turning them into decent players still active at the club.
    We have a massive dormant support,sadly dormant being the operative word. Crowds are dwindling due to the poor footballing spectacle, dislike of the manager and his tactics in some elements of the support and a general malaise that is affecting all of Scottish Football, due in part to the domination of the Infirm and the excessive live TV matches shown on terrestrial and satelite(usually on or both of Rantic/ Celgers playing away from home).

Our policy has changed sluightly, most of our exciting young team are from Edinburgh and the surrounds, with active youth schemes doing well also in Lanarkshire and Fife (traditional Celgers country). Derek Roirdan, Garry O'Connor, Kevin Thompson, Scott Brown, and a few others all have great potential.

Mattias Doumbe is our only young foriegn star. Signed by McLeish the Hun, he has developed into a very good centre half. Sadly Celtic have already been linked with him, continuing their 115 year History of 'stealing' our best players.
    Our demands most moderate are –
    We only want the earth!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Originally posted by Mukadua
    Mattias Doumbe is our only young foriegn star. Signed by McLeish the Hun, he has developed into a very good centre half. Sadly Celtic have already been linked with him, continuing their 115 year History of 'stealing' our best players.
    Not seen any links mentioned elsewhere other than by a few other 'Tic fans. Much as we'd like to see them spend proper money to reach a decent level in Europe, the board are refusing to open the biscuit tin and so the likes of Stephen Pearson are probably the current limit of ambition.

So that means we'll probably be coming after Doumbe soon enough.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good on Rebel Bhoy for playing Devil's Advocate, refreshing to get some of that info on Swan out into the open.

Cheers

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Guerzy
    This is the most constructive debate i ve seen in ages. Well done to our Scottish friends. i 'm still a Celtic supporter but its nice to get some good background history. Gary and Colm dont get too excited and lets keep this constructive. Tell me , do Hibs have potential fan wise in Edinburgh to maybe move on another level financially speaking. And is the policy of signing unknown foreigners and turning them into decent players still active at the club.

Without getting into an argument with my fellow Hibs fan about dormant support (which I think is limited) and the competence of our manager (who I think is doing the best he can in the circumstances), I'd say the problem facing all Scottish clubs is that:

(1) Many Celtic and Rangers fans may well support there club for reasons of background and tradition but there is a great many who are also nothing more than gloryseekers and who are attracted by success and glamour.

This type of suppporter really has no interest in his local club, a problem I am sure that is identical in Ireland and I can't really see how this will change as Celtic/Rangers are massive institutions who just aren't going to go away, partly because at the moment no one else wants them.

(2) In recent years Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee and Hibs have made some sort of effort to compete with Rangers and Celtic and all are now in very serious financial trouble.
    This huge accumulated debt means that most of the Scottish clubs can only concentrate on survival never mind competing.

I don't blame Celtic/Rangers or there fans for this situation (though historically they haven't exactly helped) but society in Scotland has historically developed to an extent that Celtic/Rangers are arguably the different side of the same coin and the rest of the clubs have absolutely nothing in common with them either financially or culturally.

My fellow Hibs fan is right about Doumbe, who is an excellent player but financially we are heading for a pre 1996 situation where all we will be able to afford is Scottish players only.
    Last edited by SlovSam; 16/01/2004 at 3:19 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just learned more here than I have in 30 years of being a Hibs fan........great stuff.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    P.S We got beat 1-0 by Livi

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by greenteam
    P.S We got beat 1-0 by Livi
    We know

We were there

We were terrible
    Our demands most moderate are –
    We only want the earth!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thought so. Listened to it on the radio (internet).
    A sad sad year for us aint it.
    BW was as confusing as ever with his subs IMHO.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

Hibs proposed banning of the tricolour at Parkhead in 1952. Dissappointing from a club with such history.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Note that was a different Rebel Bhoy. Not the one that keeps getting things wrong!!
    I have seen the same thing too RB2. Not sure why that was, but what I do know, is that R*****rs supported Celtic in defeating this motion. What was that all about lads?
    I know that H***ts have tried to ban the tricolous and the butchers apron from swinecastle but to me, thats just crazy. Neither flag is banned from anywhere and neither flag represents a propensity towards acts of terror as some mistakenly believe.
    "It is not to those who can inflict most, but to those who can endure most, that the victory is certain"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by RebelBhoy
    Hibs proposed banning of the tricolour at Parkhead in 1952. Dissappointing from a club with such history.

Oh god there is more than one

What a load of drivel, didn't you even read the rest of the thread before you posted such complete nonsense.

Admitedly it was written in paragraphs, rather than one line simplistic sentences so I suppose not.
    Last edited by SlovSam; 20/01/2004 at 3:56 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Some people eh?!
    "It is not to those who can inflict most, but to those who can endure most, that the victory is certain"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by SlovSam
    Oh god there is more than one

What a load of drivel, didn't you even read the rest of the thread before you posted such complete nonsense.

Admitedly it was written in paragraphs, rather than one line simplistic sentences so I suppose not.
    I think he was reading the "Fly the Flag" article in this weeks Celtic View where Paul Cuddihy accuses Harry Swan of leading a "campaign against Celtic and the Irish".

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Dont turn it into a flag debate.............again.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by gspain
    You forgot one vital piece of information Canon Hanon was a Limerickman.
    He was from Ballingarry Co Limerick. Here's a link to the Ballingarry AFC site.

ballingarryafc.homestead.com

The first members of Hibernian FC also had to be members of the Catholic Young Men's Society, which also founded by a Limerickman Dean O'Brien in 1849.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Did you know that Canon Hannan's uncle was the Right Rev Monsignor Richard B. O'Brien DD VG, Dean of Limerick who founded the CYMS in Ireland in 1849.

Not alot of people know that
    They came from Little Ireland,
    in Scotlands capital,
    and took the name Hibernian,
    the most Irish name of all.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Another interesting fact is that Hibernian FC were launched on the anniversary of the centenary of the birth of the Irish Nationalist leader Daniel O'Connell on the 6th August 1875.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
    I think he was reading the "Fly the Flag" article in this weeks Celtic View where Paul Cuddihy accuses Harry Swan of leading a "campaign against Celtic and the Irish".
    Yes, I heard about that but haven't yet managed to get a copy of it.

I'll reserve judgement until I see a copy, but I suspect it will be the same old heresay/rumour and bland assertions that have been repeated for years and years with no sources of reference or basis in fact

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ya sorry rebel bhoy 1, did'nt no that name was taken. Thats right I read it in the celtic view (gives a pretty watered down version of events imo, but i read as much as possible). It also said that Hibs removed the Harp from outside their ground an all. A good read.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast