Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Scannell F Grimsby Town b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

Sean Scannell F Grimsby Town b.1990

Scannell's been included in the U-19 qualifiers starting on friday - http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=4323 - and he won the Apprentice of the Year at the Football League Awards - http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1...606479,00.html
    This was awarded at the end of March but I didn't see it posted here
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Sean Scannell is in danger of risking injury according to Crystal Palace boss Neil Warnock and the Eagles have asked Ireland to withdraw him from the UEFA U-19 Championships.

Scannell is still recovering from a recent hernia operation that saw him miss the last two games of the Championship season, but manager Sean McCaffrey included the London-born 18-year-old in the squad for the Belgium, Switzerland and Sweden games which run from Friday to next Wednesday.

Warnock said: "Sean has not done any football – condition-wise or game-wise – since February and while his hernia is mended our physio department think there is a risk he could injure something else.

"You wouldn’t put a footballer without any football into this situation and we’ve asked them to send him home.

"We’re big allies of the Republic but it is ridiculous if they think about playing him at the moment. They have three matches in the space of a week and we’ve made our views clear so we’ll now have to see what happens."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Tuesday, June 02, 2009

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/soccer/...xzz0HGASoWRs&A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Sean Scannell scored for Palace today against Watford - assist from Irish possible Darren Ambrose.

Assist on the goal came from Darren Ambrose.
    50:27 GOAL - Sean Scannell:
    Watford 0 - 2 Crystal Palace Sean Scannell grabs a goal from inside the six-yard box low into the middle of the goal. Watford 0-2 Crystal Palace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Scannell has resumed training after a knee injury in preseason.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...or-Palace.html
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I see that Scannell qualifies for us because his Dad is from Armagh.

However, I'm sure he's glad that he takes his looks (and locks) after his mother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Scannell played 45 minutes for the reserves on the 23rd VS Fulham: http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/s...for_two_weeks/
    Sean Scannell continued his recovery from a long-term knee injury by playing 45 minutes of the reserves' 4-0 defeat to Fulham today, while Darren Ambrose should be fit for Saturday and Anthony Gardner is struggling with a back problem.
    Still not considered fit enough for a first team appearance though
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I see that Scannell qualifies for us because his Dad is from Armagh.

However, I'm sure he's glad that he takes his looks (and locks) after his mother.

i see this remark got the 6 week silence it deserved...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Scannell on the bench this evening for Palace VS Hull

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Scannell on the bench this evening for Palace VS Hull
    Ya saw that. Great to see it. Garvan back as well after a couple of games out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    He's after coming on for Vaughan around the 50th minute.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    He's after coming on for Vaughan around the 50th minute.
    Its impossible to tell him and Neil Danns apart from the TV angle.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Saw Scannell's goal from the midweek fixture against Leicester on Football Focus, came of the left wing and scored from well outside the area.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Good goal alright. Really hope he starts fulfilling the promise he showed a couple of years ago. His injury seems to have set him back a bit but hopefully he'll be firing on all cylinders again soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Saw Scannell's goal from the midweek fixture against Leicester on Football Focus, came of the left wing and scored from well outside the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Good goal alright. Really hope he starts fulfilling the promise he showed a couple of years ago. His injury seems to have set him back a bit but hopefully he'll be firing on all cylinders again soon.
    It was a decent enough strike, but the keeper easily should've done better
    My Guarantee

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Scored again on a roll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    eventful afternoon for Scannell, just got a straight red

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Sent off!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    We're a fighty bunch today.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    he deserved the straight red too, two footed tackle, studs showing, ref had no choice but to send him off

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Following discussion on Scannell on the shane Long thread, here is the article I was referring to about Palace's academy. I emboldened the parts that interested me most. This is also interesting in the context of our own academy discussions.Crafty Toe Poke told me about an interesting article on Uruguay's youth system and ethos in the current 442 magazine - worth reading alongside the following.

What's the secret to Crystal Palace's amazing academy?
    David Smith
    25 Oct 2011

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish has never forgotten the advice proffered by former owner Ron Noades.

Parish, a member of the consortium that saved the Eagles from extinction in the summer of 2010, recalled: "When we took the club over, Ron stressed to me, 'Play the kids'."

Heeding Noades was hardly a gamble. For more than a decade few clubs at any level of the domestic game have been able to boast a talent factory as successful as Palace's academy.

Notable names to have rolled off this player production line include former England Under-21 internationals Ben Watson, Wayne Routledge, Tom Soares and Victor Moses, the Republic of Ireland's Clinton Morrison and Lewis Grabban.

Now, encouraged by Parish and first-team manager Dougie Freedman, the academy is polishing a new set of rough diamonds.

Nathaniel Clyne, Palace's Player of the Year last season, Sean Scannell, Wilfried Zaha and Jonathan Williams all played a part in Saturday's win over Ipswich which confirmed the club as genuine play-off contenders.

Tonight, another clutch of academy scholars and graduates are set to line up at Selhurst Park when Palace seek to reach the Carling Cup quarter-finals at the expense of Championship leaders Southampton.

"Our academy is absolutely essential to us," said Parish. "For one thing, it helps us establish real deep roots in the community in which we play."

Palace have a tradition of promoting local heroes. Gary Issott, the academy chief, said: "London is hugely populated so we can draw on a good pool of players. And the demographics of our area works in our favour."

Moses went to school in South Norwood after arriving in this country from Nigeria and Zaha settled in the area having moved from the Ivory Coast.

Issott added: "A lot of African lads end up here, you just wait for them to walk through Heathrow or Gatwick.

"That's been one reason for our success but there's also been a lot of good people involved in the academy going back to our former player, John Cartwright, who also coached at England youth level.

"Having had people of that quality involved with the academy means we've been able to put a big emphasis on recruitment which is the biggest part of our set-up.

"Getting the right players to go through to the first team is crucial. The fans expect it and are always waiting for the next one."

Parish estimates it costs upwards of £1million to run Palace's academy for a season. Considering the consistent quality of the players who have emerged from the initiative, that must be regarded as a wise investment for a club that have twice gone into administration in the past 12 years.

"Necessity is the mother of invention, that's what I believe," said Parish. "Just look at Leicester, who have just sacked their manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson. The guys who came in there were sold a story of instant success by somebody. It's easy, so the story goes. Just go out and buy a load of good players, stick them on the pitch and they will beat everyone. Except that it isn't that easy, certainly not in our division."

The vastly-experienced Lennie Lawrence, Palace's assistant first-team manager, said: "If you look at many of the great teams over the past 10-15 years, they've included a nucleus of players who have come through their academy systems.

"A good recipe for success is a mixture of youth and experience, a mixture of homegrown players and players transferred in from outside. That's what we've got in our team."

Inevitably, others have sought to cash in on the potential stars being honed by Palace. Agents seeking to tap up parents are the bane of Issott's life. He moaned: "They can wrongly advise players and their relatives, telling them, 'I can get you this, I can get you there'."

Life, in that respect, is set to become more testing with the controversial new Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) accepted last week by the Football League even though it is regarded by many as a sop to the most powerful Premier League clubs.

They are no longer restricted to recruiting young players from their immediate localities and compensation for players signed from other academies has been slashed.

What that means for Palace is illustrated by the example of John Bostock, who joined their academy at the age of eight and who was bought by Tottenham as a 16-year-old for an initial £750,000 as decided by a tribunal.

Under to the EPPP, the most Palace can expect for such a player in the future is £350,000. According to Issott, such derisory fees will encourage rich Premier League clubs to sign up swathes of the most promising talent nationwide in the hope of panning a rare nugget of footballing gold.

The consequences for players like Bostock, who has yet to make the grade at Spurs and who has since endured largely unsuccessful loans at Brentford and Hull City, are potentially heartbreaking as their dreams of regular football are cruelly dashed.

Parish said: "If Bostock had stayed with us, I reckon that he would have played 100 first-team games by now." Greg Clarke, chairman of the Football League, warned that as many as 40 lower League clubs could close their academies as a result of the EPPP.

Parish insisted that Palace will not be one of them and to help keep the club tradition alive Issott, inspired by visits to continental clubs, has launched a unique new scheme in conjunction with the Oasis Academy Shirley Park, just five minutes from Selhurst Park.

Palace's young players will study for their exams exclusively at the Oasis school where a bespoke curriculum will enable them to train for football both in the mornings and in the evenings. "We've gone from six hours contact time a week with these players to 18 hours," said Issott.

"We're now able to offer our players proper injury prevention work and the right recovery from matches in the swimming pool.

"We'll have time for psychology sessions and video analysis and we can ensure the players get the right food at the right time.

"We've always worked hard to attract lads to our club and we know we'll have to work even harder in the future thanks to the EPPP. However, we've always been able to keep players because of the established pathway from the academy to the first team and I don't see why that cannot continue.

"Lads here do feel they're part of something special, an academy with lots of history. And I firmly believe they will to want to play their part in adding to that history."

23. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast