Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Aaron

Linked with the athlone job. Anyone hear anything?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Athlone Town Football Club are in talks with current Longford Town Assistant Manager Aaron Callaghan, on taking up the position of First Team Manager at the Club.

After a full week of lengthy interviews, the interviewing panel, headed by Club Chairman Paddy McCaul, recommended the former Stoke City defender to the Club's Management Committee.

The recommendation was fully accepted by the Management Committee, leaving the Club in a position to open talks with the 37 year old.
    Last edited by atfconline; 09/01/2004 at 9:14 PM.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    He'll be a big loss to us if he goes. He's probably had almost as much of an influence in the way things have been in Flancare over the last two years as Mathews himself.
    If he does go, and im still hoping he doesn't, it remains to be seen what sort of a manager he'll make. I always thought of him as the storm of a coach behind the calm of the boss.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts

Unhappy

I just heard on 2fm that Athlone Town have announced a press conference for later this evening confirming that Aaron Callaghan is to be Athlones new manager.

There was a piece in todays Mirror stating that Callaghan,Harry MCue ,Stephen Kelly and Jimmy Jackson were the front runners for the job. They were all interviewed on tuesday night.

I would not be surprised now to see Levien,Silke and Mulvihill going to Athlone to follow him.

This is a savage blow to Longford and who will be Matthews no 2?
    What is the odds that Dermot Keely will make a return to his ex club as no 2 to alan? Matthews and Callaghan had a great cheimstry but obviously Aaron feels it is time for him to go on his own after all he was Crusaders manager a while ago.

I just would like to wish Aaron the best of luck and salute him as the man who made the difference over the last few years. Thanks for everything Aaron and for helping us win our first trophy.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Originally posted by sorbothegreek
    He'll be a big loss to us if he goes. He's probably had almost as much of an influence in the way things have been in Flancare over the last two years as Mathews himself.
    If he does go, and im still hoping he doesn't, it remains to be seen what sort of a manager he'll make. I always thought of him as the storm of a coach behind the calm of the boss.
    He will certainly get sent off a few times for Scumlone thats for sure!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    There is no press conference planned for tonight. Don't know where 2FM pulled that out of the press release, which is as above.

Originally posted by MARTINHO II
    I just heard on 2fm that Athlone Town have announced a press conference for later this evening confirming that Aaron Callaghan is to be Athlones new manager.

Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aaron (like fellow Dub Marty Murray) had a season as Crues manager after Roy Walker left.

Both explained the travelling up as the main factor in their resignations.

Though the board's inability to invest any extra money was probably also important.
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    its definate hes gone! was talkin to some of our players and they think it is a very bad move on his part! not much confidence in him really!! but do hope he does well!!
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts

Thumbs down

Well callaghan has gone. He is due to be paraded at a press conference tomorrow and hewill be signing a two year contract.

How this news broke out was Aaron was contacted by the Athlone chairman to have a chat so off Aaron went without telling anyone not even telling Matthews. He went to the interview and guess who was just leaving as he was arriving? the one and only stephen kelly.

When the news broke out to Alan, Alan said to Aaron that even if didnot get the athlone job, he was finished with Longfrod.

The way Callaghan did it was very sneaky.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When the news broke out to Alan, Alan said to Aaron that even if didnot get the athlone job, he was finished with Longfrod.

The way Callaghan did it was very sneaky.
    Can't see Alan saying that, them pair of boys were close enough. We're loosing a large part of the machine who delivered last Octobers FAI Cup. However Aaron, IMO is entitled to persue a job which he may hold in good regard... Best of luck Aaron.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Levien,
    Athlone released a press statement stating Athlone were free to talk to O'Callaghan.

Who is Levien? It's Hasbeen
    Last edited by Xlex; 12/01/2004 at 9:38 AM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Originally posted by Xlex
    Can't see Alan saying that, them pair of boys were close enough. We're loosing a large part of the machine who delivered last Octobers FAI Cup. However Aaron, IMO is entitled to persue a job which he may hold in good regard... Best of luck Aaron.
    While wishing him a small amount of luck (it is Athlone FFS), we don't really know how much influence he had - only this season will tell that. I'm not overly concerned about this, there's more important things to be worried about....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well I think and I believe he had a positive role ion the club and it's going to be hard to replace... however larger problems exist... next Saturday should say alot.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Been away for a while and i havent heard any more than you lads but id be surprised if Aaron hadn't at least called Alan to let him know the situation, always struck me as an honest bloke..As for his role within the team, he was important alright but at the same time Alan was calling the shots. He'll be missed but with the contacts Alan has in the game im sure he can come up with a suitable replacement..
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    sorry but he'll be missed the same as anyone else, people said what would we do when stephen kenny left or when stuie left etc, we move on we replace them and we get stronger, a trip to foreign shores suppoting the black n red is in front of us and requalifing for europe the season after europe too along with defending out fai cup, so lets appulade him for what he has done and just move on to the next matter in head, we do not live in the past we only look to the future.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Hopefully things will be okay on saturday and things will be all right concerning the accounts issue. I heard from Adrian Considine today that there is a very good chance we could get Liam O Brien. Geewhizz reckons that Alan will get Gary Howlett the ex no 2 to Bobby Browne at Monaghan Utd and ex Shels player.

Who would ye want as no 2 to Matthews?

If things dont work out on Saturday- would we cease to exist?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if things don't work out on Saturday the media will be feeding another bad story... put it this way, it might not mean much but If it's not sorted it doesn't sound too good...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    some of you dublin based LTFC fans may have heard Matthews interviewd on newstalk re returning players from england and how to sign them, he was listing the avenues he had for making these contacts, with cross channel players and noted that callaghan had good english contacts - maybe thats the biggest loss here?

contacts for clubs on small budgets are everything - its not what ya know its who ya know

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hope he makes some good contact with a midfielder... we're two short of a cracking team....

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Good central midfielders are the hardest player to find..Anyone who's got one doesn't want to let them go. He's definitely been looking for a midfielder or two, don't know what he's got lined up..
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast