Thread: Frank Dunlop Court Case

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Frank Dunlop Court Case

Click

Former Government press secretary and lobbyist Frank Dunlop has suffered enough through his admitted involvement in corruption and should not be jailed, his lawyers have told Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

A cardiologist told the court that Mr Dunlop suffers from a serious heart condition, while his former barrister emphasised Mr Dunlop’s willingness to co-operate with the Planning tribunal after his dramatic admission of involvement in corruption before the inquiry in 2000.

Judge Frank O’Donnell, after hearing the pleas of mitigation made by Mr Dunlop’s legal team, put back sentencing to May 26th. He remains on continuing bail until then.

Mr Dunlop has pleaded guilty to giving £3,000 (€3,800) to former Fianna Fáil senator Don Lydon at St John of God's Hospital in Dublin; £2,000 to Fianna Fáil councillor Colm McGrath and £1,000 to Fianna Fáil councillor Seán Gilbride, all in 1992, in relation to the rezoning of lands at Carrickmines for development.

He also pleaded guilty to giving a sum of money to former Fine Gael senator Liam Cosgrave at Buswells Hotel in Dublin on December 23rd, 1997, and a further sum of money to Fianna Fáil councillor Tony Fox at the Davenport Hotel in Dublin between October 30th and December 25th 1997, also in relation to the Carrickmines lands.
    Should he be jailed?

Did he only starting co-operating when he had no other choice or is he being held to a higher standard than the politicians?

I don't find the healthi issue convincing as seems he worse than average person of his age.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Click

Should he be jailed?

Did he only starting co-operating when he had no other choice or is he being held to a higher standard than the politicians?

I don't find the healthi issue convincing as seems he worse than average person of his age.
    If he ever played rugby or went to a rugby game then he should be left off (as per Mr. Halvey) - however, if he didn't then he should be beheaded!!!

...or maybe something in between!!!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    He was busted, but then came totally clean, unlike most (included our former leader who kept running to the courts, and probably will again).

Seems he's going to cooperate and become a witness for the State against politicians. Could be very interesting times...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Like most people I would be surprised if any politician jailed (as they should be) at the end of the future cases.

I would put my money on him not seeing jail time & as suggested above appearing as witness in other cases.

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    He got 18 months:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0526/dunlopf.html

Macy, I can;t agree that he came totally clean - he gave up the small fry true, but he proceeded to obfuscate his way through the rest of the Mahon tribunal still protecting others. (I had a long reply done with references but the internet crashed on me.)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Judge O'Donnell said Dunlop's ill health and break down of his social, family and professional life are all natural and foreseeable outcomes of his actions and should not been seen as punishment for his behaviour.
    Well done Judge O'Donnell. For too often "ill health" is used as excuse to avoid punishment.

18 months seems fair. The length of time isn't so important but that he actually sees jail time.

I guess he cannot appeal given he pleaded guilty? Does this set a precedent for politicians who are tried?

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Since he didn't pay these bribes to no-one, then whoever was in receipt of them should be doing time too.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.