Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will win the 1st division

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    We are woeful, decent players but with the lack of a real experienced manager it looks like we will be staying in and around our current position.

No team has really impressed me this season, no team has hammered us and lets be honest, this is one of the worst Harps sides I can remember.
    I haven't seen Shels yet so can't comment.
    Waterford and Fingal would be the most physical sides with Waterford being the fitter and more organised.
    UCD have a good passing side and are quick on the break.

At the minute I would have to say Waterford to win it with UCD second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Those out there who think we're going to come 4th need to get their head examined to be honest. I don't think we'll win the league but we'll be very close, probably in 2nd.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Do expound your reasoning.

(You may well be correct, but no point just saying "You need your head examined" and leaving it at that)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Do expound your reasoning.

(You may well be correct, but no point just saying "You need your head examined" and leaving it at that)
    Ok fair enough, the reality is we're going to keep grinding out wins, thats what Keely teams do. Some of our performances have been below par, some haven't. We definitely haven't been on form. We will most likely hit form at some stage in the season. But no matter what, we will keep grinding out results. Last season was the same. And this season our squad is stronger.

On the other hand you have, UCD who have had the form of their lives at the start of the season, but it could be argued that they don't have the squad or the experience to last the season. Shels would be expected to finish ahead of them on that basis.

Waterford I'd say most would also argue, do not really have the quality to compete when the going gets tough. They fell apart when it counted last season, and I'd bet on them doing it again. They haven't picked up a win against any of the top sides this year, and barely managed it last year, when the crunch games come up towards the end of the season, they'll probably be found wanting. Similar comparisons could be made about Shels to an extent, but not to the same level. When the going gets tough, we'll start to show our class, like we did with our ridiculous run coming towards the end of last season. You'd expect Shels to show their superior class towards the end of the season. And with the **** poor crowds they're getting, do not rule out another financial crisis. 3 sponsorship or not.

Fingal do not look like a team with good spirit. Every report from an opposition team seems to reflect this. Aren't picking up points against the lesser teams as much as you'd hope, and aren't demolishing teams like was expected (Kildare the exception). Looks like it could be a speeding train heading to crash.

Now I'm not saying all these things will happen, I reckon one of the 3 will prove me wrong, and find us wanting but to expect all those teams to finish ahead of Shels this season, given the quality in our squad and the manager we have, don't expect us to be dropping too many points. When we fail we'll fail spectacularly, but we don't really fail that often.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Our start of the season has being very poor. Granted we have a fairly young squad but we have no excuses as a few of the older heads have being very disappointing so far. I am not expecting much from the second round of games unless we get some new heads in.

The best team I have seen so far have being Ucd. Waterford were the next. After Shels performance against us I dont think they are great and Fingal flatter to deceive. Its College for me followed by Waterford .
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Hopefully Waterford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Kildare.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Our start of the season has being very poor. Granted we have a fairly young squad but we have no excuses as a few of the older heads have being very disappointing so far. I am not expecting much from the second round of games unless we get some new heads in.

The best team I have seen so far have being Ucd. Waterford were the next. After Shels performance against us I dont think they are great and Fingal flatter to deceive. Its College for me followed by Waterford .
    u have a handy young wing back though, maybe he should be pushed up to mid?

whats his name - think he is on the left side

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    Waterford I'd say most would also argue, do not really have the quality to compete when the going gets tough. 1.They fell apart when it counted last season, and I'd bet on them doing it again. 2.They haven't picked up a win against any of the top sides this year, and barely managed it last year, when the crunch games come up towards the end of the season, they'll probably be found wanting. Similar comparisons could be made about Shels to an extent, but not to the same level. When the going gets tough, we'll start to show our class, like we did with our ridiculous run coming towards the end of last season. You'd expect Shels to show their superior class towards the end of the season. 3.And with the **** poor crowds they're getting, do not rule out another financial crisis. 3 sponsorship or not.
    1. How can you say that when more than half the squad are new players who werent there last season??

2. In the 3 matches against the other top 3, we lost to you with a goal on the last few minutes, fingal equalised in the last minute, and a very close game with UCD. Although we havent beaten any of ye, we're still second, ahead of both you and Fingal.

3. We have a realistic budget which is being stuck to. No financial crisis this year.

Only worry i have is the size of our squad. We only have 17 players so injuries and suspensions could hurt us.

I still think UCD have looked the best out of the top 4, so far, from what i've seen.
    Last edited by blue til i die; 18/05/2009 at 8:55 PM.
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Shels-Seen every game bar UCD and have yet to see us put in a good performance for the full 90 minutes so 7 wins out of 10 is great. Not seen anything to suggest we are capable of winning the league but I think we can edge a play off spot.
    Fingal-Seen them against ourselves and Athlone and they werent great in either. They did enough against us and could just about argue they deserved to win but after they scored the players didnt look interested in pushing on. Against Athlone again it seemed like the players didnt wake up until the final 20 minutes. Still expecting them to win the league but not nearly as comfortably as I first thought.
    UCD-Only saw them for the first time this season against Galway. Both teams had strong line ups and they held their own. Got a deserved win and gave me cause to believe their great start is no fluke. I dont think they have enough to win the league due to the fact their squad is so young but they may come close. Should get a play off spot.
    Waterford-Only seen them the once against shels and they were poor. Both teams played badly that night and neither looked like a promotion challenging team. Obviously theyve improved since then hence their league position but to be in with a shout of promtion their form against the sides around them needs to improve. I think and hope theyll be the side that miss out(Nothing against them I just think it might be between shels and them for 3rd).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    u have a handy young wing back though, maybe he should be pushed up to mid?

whats his name - think he is on the left side
    I think that might be Tom King although I stand to be corrected. But have heard alot of good things about him!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue til i die View Post
    1. How can you say that when more than half the squad are new players who werent there last season??

2. In the 3 matches against the other top 3, we lost to you with a goal on the last few minutes, fingal equalised in the last minute, and a very close game with UCD. Although we havent beaten any of ye, we're still second, ahead of both you and Fingal.

3. We have a realistic budget which is being stuck to. No financial crisis this year.

Only worry i have is the size of our squad. We only have 17 players so injuries and suspensions could hurt us.

I still think UCD have looked the best out of the top 4, so far, from what i've seen.
    I would have thought the late goals would strengthen my point somewhat. Late goals are what win leagues. Point noted, on the new players though. But yeah I think Waterford will be happy with a playoff spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I would have thought the late goals would strengthen my point somewhat. Late goals are what win leagues. Point noted, on the new players though. But yeah I think Waterford will be happy with a playoff spot.
    As you know too well from last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfclilywhite View Post
    As you know too well from last season.
    Crushing as that is, you're right. Dundalk scored a number of late goals in the run up to it aswell, Waterford being a major one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I honestly think the four teams in contention could finish in any order. We're playing well but inexperienced, Shels are just scraping wins and it's hard to see what direction they'll go, Fingal have the strongest squad but don't seem as committed and Waterford looked good on Friday but have a tiny squad. It could go any way, should be exciting regardless.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    and lose them.

Are you on boards.ie much. Sound very familiar to a guy over there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    tom king would be the right full,a red haired lad,the left full could be mick lee,he played there few times this season...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Bit of pressure on Fingal with the money invested and all but I think UCD will still probably edge it in the end. I wouldn't discount Shels for a playoff place though either.
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Ok fair enough, the reality is we're going to keep grinding out wins, thats what Keely teams do. Some of our performances have been below par, some haven't.
    That's a fair enough point alright. I'd worry (well, hope ) that your relative lack of goals would mean that a game you could have won 1-0 will end up 0-0, and you'll drop a few points that way.

Last night's results in Galway and Morton adds a bit more to this thread, I think. UCD, bringing on pretty much our subs bench from Friday, beat a full strength (and ten-man) Galway away, while Fingal lose at home to the lowlier Sligo. I think our League Cup run should answer any doubts as to our strength in depth, to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    could come down to the experienced heads toward the end of the season....
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast