Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: David Forde

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Don't see why not if he's competing with the Murphy's and Kenny in the same league for a squad place. I'm not convinced he's international calibre either but we don't appear (as yet) to have three international calibre goalies. No Irish keeper had a particularly good weekend, apart from Westwood and maybe Kenny.
    Those pair consistently do have good weekends and that's why they should be back-up to Shay ahead of the two Murphys and then Forde. Motherwell's Randolph, at 23, could develop too as a contender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Honn View Post
    Those pair consistently do have good weekends and that's why they should be back-up to Shay ahead of the two Murphys and then Forde. Motherwell's Randolph, at 23, could develop too as a contender.
    Not really questioning it in terms of ability, but as I said before I don't think Kenny has the temperament or desire to be 3rd choice and a solid squad member. That would leave Murphy's, Forde and Randolph too and it's pretty much a toss-up at that point. The Murphy's are in pole position but I'm merely pointing out Forde is performing well in a solid Championship outfit.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Not really questioning it in terms of ability, but as I said before I don't think Kenny has the temperament or desire to be 3rd choice and a solid squad member

Whats that based on Swan just out of interest?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post

Whats that based on Swan just out of interest?
    If you listen to his "interviews" he comes across as a character to say the least.

He has been involved in off-field incidents (got in a fight with his best friend and had his eyebrow bitten off!).... no question he is a talented keeper but he seems like the sort that would be more trouble than he's worth as a No. 3 guy.

If a player is good enough to help your starting XI, you can accomodate someone a little bit off, but if he's there as a backup, it could be more trouble than it's worth. The less distractions on the fringes of your squad, the better.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    If you listen to his "interviews" he comes across as a character to say the least.

He has been involved in off-field incidents (got in a fight with his best friend and had his eyebrow bitten off!).... no question he is a talented keeper but he seems like the sort that would be more trouble than he's worth as a No. 3 guy.

If a player is good enough to help your starting XI, you can accomodate someone a little bit off, but if he's there as a backup, it could be more trouble than it's worth. The less distractions on the fringes of your squad, the better.
    Ok fair enough.
    He had a spell around the Cyprus game where his world was turned upside down. The marriage break down, the affair with the best mate, the fight which you refer to above, and the result in Cyprus. He's always been a good keeper. He'd be a more than capable #3 and despite the result in Cyprus, he made some superb saves in that game (shudder).

That said, I always think the #3 jersey should be for an up and comer, especially when we have Shay and Kieron in the #1&2 slots respectively.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I'm all for forgive and forget, and some might say he could be the best current Irish keeper.

No harm in inviting him to a friendly I suppose....I made my post thinking more along the lines of competitive matches.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

It's ridiculous to hold that against him. Was Roy Keane not a 'character'? Think Stephen Ireland is certainly a looper and most people (not getting into a debate on baldy) would welcome him back tomorrow.

Most modern day footballers have some sort of attitude. Leon Best has been questioned elsewhere on foot in that regard yet he'd give his right arm for a starting place in the Ireland team.

Kenny is playing in a team leading the Championship by five points. What's been their trademark? Probably having the best defensive record in the division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Read my first sentence in the third paragraph. If a player will make your starting IX better, you can make exceptions. If it's your third keeper, or a fringe player in general, you want to avoid distractions...but as I said in my last post, in a friendly game there's no harm in bringing him back to see how he fits into the squad dynamic.

A lot of people attack Stephen Ireland for retiring, but remember Kenny retired as well. Recently he has said he's willing to come back, and if he is serious about that then fair enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Read my first sentence in the third paragraph. If a player will make your starting IX better, you can make exceptions. If it's your third keeper, or a fringe player in general, you want to avoid distractions...but as I said in my last post, in a friendly game there's no harm in bringing him back to see how he fits into the squad dynamic..
    if you have a starting IX you should be fired.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Heh heh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Read my first sentence in the third paragraph. If a player will make your starting IX better, you can make exceptions. If it's your third keeper, or a fringe player in general, you want to avoid distractions...but as I said in my last post, in a friendly game there's no harm in bringing him back to see how he fits into the squad dynamic.

A lot of people attack Stephen Ireland for retiring, but remember Kenny retired as well. Recently he has said he's willing to come back, and if he is serious about that then fair enough.
    Agree with that (except for the IX bit). Kenny's had a fairly stormy history with the Irish squad so far and wouldn't strike me as someone who'd be happy to play number three. But, as I said before, if Westwood or Given are struck down by injury he has to be an option.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    A lot of people attack Stephen Ireland for retiring, but remember Kenny retired as well.
    I'm not sure Stephen Ireland has ever been made a scapegoat for a bad defeat though. IMO Stephen Ireland was way more culpable than Kenny for the Cyprus defeat. Finnan had a very rare shocker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Forde talks first Ireland start.

Oldest player to make a full debut since WWII apparently. Absolutely chuffed for him. He's clearly chuffed too - some of the stay-away's should take note of his pride.

Quite like his pragmatic attitude on facing the Italians: 'It's a fantastic game to play in as a keeper. You are probably better off playing in these games where you are going to get more work and more stuff to do than playing against a lesser opponent.'

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Never ever thought I'd see this day! But fair dues to him; always good to see another former LoI player in the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    And people used to dismiss him as Welsh, of all things...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Didn't even think he was that old. Crikey.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Never ever thought I'd see this day! But fair dues to him; always good to see another former LoI player in the team.
    Yeah me neither to be honest. Wouldn't have fancied him to make it this far when he went back across channel. And I'd say no LOI follower would've predicted Brian Murphy making the Ireland match-day squad only to be kept out of the team by Forde.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Feels like he's been around almost forever at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I've no problem with him being called up or playing and think its great for him but how can Trap call him up at his age for the first time while seemingly ignoring other players solely based on their age?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    I suppose keepers are different. Ian Harte may be not considered because of a lack of pace, though it may just look like age. Keepers can go on for longer than outfield players (look at Brad Friedel signing a two-year contract aged 40)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    I've no problem with him being called up or playing and think its great for him but how can Trap call him up at his age for the first time while seemingly ignoring other players solely based on their age?
    Forde is probably fourth choice keeper behind Given, Westwood, Randolph, and only just ahead of Murphy. Harte is behind Dunne, St Ledger, O'Shea, Kelly, Delaney, O'Dea and possibly McShane and Duffy for centre half.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast