Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Women's Senior National League

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Women's Senior National League

Thought I'd creat a new thread to open the discussion on the proposed National League. Here are a few topics to get this up and running.....

Should it be:
    1-Club and League Teams?
    2-Clubs Only?
    3-League Teams Only?

Should it be:
    1-Summer?
    2-Winter?

Should the FAI subsidise:
    1-Travel?
    2-Venues?

Should games be played:
    1-Friday Night?
    2-Saturday Afternoon?
    3-Saturday Night?
    4-Sunday Afternoon?
    5-Sunday Night?
    6-Midweek?

please suggest other topics......and share your opinions!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    200 people interested enough to look at this thread but nobody interested enough to discuss a National League.......c'mon girls(and guys) if we don't take this seriously and look to move on it, it will never happen. This league was supposed to start in October 2007.......it's 2009!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Here is my few cent worth,(I put this in Senior cup thread earlier)

Doubt it starting then, (October), if it is really going ahead. The wrong time for it, should run around the same season as the League of Ireland. Womens' soccer is played during that time anyway. It will come down to money, facilities and sure it will more than likely be representative teams playing. If there were to be 10 teams then 4 could be from Dublin, Peamount, St Francis, Raheny, DWSL?. With the other 6 maybe Monaghan Utd, Dundalk, Lifford, Cork League, Mayo League, Galway League.
    Personally I think a walk before run attitude would be the way to go. Maybe for the first year or even two have four provincial divisions with the top two teams and perhaps the finalists in the WFAI Intermediate cup then go into the national league.
    At least the teams have time to prepare to go into the league regarding finance, travel etc.

My personal opinion is that the national league should be made up of only league clubs.

It should run same time as men's national league.

What about clubs getting grants to start off with? If each club could have a projected budget before they begin and get some (not all) of it. In the second season the clubs would be in a better position regarding funds.

To begin have the same kick-off day and times for the first season and then in the second season the teams could present a kick-off time and day for their home matches.It might suit some teams that have floodloghts available to them. You would have to take into account the travelling involved for the away sides of course.

The teams could charge a small admission fee to get into the games( every euro would help!)

Each team would be required to have a youth section(this could be one of the criteria for entry into the league). To have access to an enclosed pitch with dressing rooms/showers/carpark etc.

Have a dedicated website for the league and on it a section for all womens'junior soccer news.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face

Before any National league happens, we need a revamp of ALL national cups annd i truely believe the fai needs to achieve the following, a national league taking place during summer, with all other leagues eg cork, dwsl, midlands being winter leagues, or vice versa.

This frees top club players up to play in National League, AND remain involved with their home club, IF, league teams/combination teams are to allowed in.

jusst an idea
    "as always i will be focused on coaching and training my team" Rafa B

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cityman View Post
    Each team would be required to have a youth section(this could be one of the criteria for entry into the league). To have access to an enclosed pitch with dressing rooms/showers/carpark etc.

Have a dedicated website for the league and on it a section for all womens'junior soccer news.

Excellent ideal ref the Youth Teams. I also like the idea of a dedicated web-site.
    (aside: I see that even though there have been 2 games played in most if not all of the DWSL Leagues there are still no results or tables up on A2Z...and no official DWSL site)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The DWSL have their own website but its not up running yet and the season began 2 weeks ago!!(Although the first round was nearly a complete washout!). I was just wondering how someone who was interested, could set up a womens' football website? What would the costs be? I mean you could get contact details for the clubs and ask them to email results, match reports, team pics etc and put them up for everyone to see. Its all about keeping everyone interested informed-this is not happening and its just not good enough.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    That DWSL site hasn't been up and running since 2005.

There were regular updates and a good forum there at the time. I think it was either:

1-too much criticism of DWSL
    2-lack of finance(hard to believe as it's the biggest league in country)
    3-lack of genuine interest/professionalism(most likely)

A2Z is up and functioning for over a hundred leagues countrywide and is kept up to date(with a lot of leagues updated by Sunday night!!!). AT THE VERY LEAST, why don't the DWSL keep it up to date...and ensure that the information is correct! How difficult can it be to enter information into a spreadsheet or web-form? The site does the rest of the work.......

It would be cheap/free to set up a site if you use free s/ware like Peamount(and it looks great by the way!) I feel the problem would be keeping it up to date. Probably better to use links and let local leagues update their own sites. I know that that option exists with A2Z but the links are old and some are dead(in fact the only one fully up to date is the Mayo League link. NDSL Ladies is next best and then DWSL...rest are 2-3 yrs out of date)

Hat's-off to the Mayo and Limerick sites for having information up fast and accurate.
    Last edited by The One; 27/05/2009 at 2:16 PM. Reason: addressing the "setting-up" question

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    stumbled across this..

http://www.dwslireland.com/Home/tabi...y/Default.aspx

is that the old website? or an attempt at making a new one that never got completed?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    This is an updated site(2008).
    However, if you click on the Menu headings on the left of Home Page you wil find that the information added is just random....as used by site designers for testing purposes.
    There are no photos, news, information.
    The League and fixtures information is linked to A2Z and not held or updated locally. (one of the A2Z links brings you to the Inishowen League! The other two are dead links)

This looked like this last year too. I registerd last year and got no updates or special access or information on the site.

I think the older site was designed and run by a company called benchmark

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Has any club or league hear any more on the national league?
    is it going ahead in november?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I doubt it.

The Senior International Team is not back from the US until 30 August and are in camp 10 days-2 weeks later in prep for Qualifiers on Sept 19th.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the likely clubs have been approached in relation to any Women's National League if it's clubs which will be competing, and again to the best of my knowledge, none of the likely clubs have been approached by any of the regional leagues in relation to any Women's National League if it's representative teams which will be competing.

I don't think that it would feasable to organise and set up a well-prepared, fully-functional national league in three-four months.
    (just look at the problems with the League of Ireland and that league has been up and running for 40 years in one form or another....and the powers that be don't seem to have learned how to do it right yet!)

Also, I'm sure that there would be several of the "Bigger" clubs who won't want their players playing for someone else.....just look at the clubs that want to enter the Senior Cup as clubs and not part of a representative league team.

I remember being told by an FAI contact that there would be a Women's National League starting in October 2007.........

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    thanks for that so no league this year.
    clubs need to prove that they want a league but if we look at all the clubs that pulled out of irish cup this year there might be the problem.
    then a lot of clubs like salthill,lifford and peamount have no stand.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    is there talk of national league starting in august ?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Cool

I think the national league is going ahead after the senior cup.But its such a pity that the powers that be do not inform the clubs that put so much time and effort into the ladies game. SHAME ON THEM.
    Last edited by LmkSnr; 03/05/2010 at 8:36 PM. Reason: missing word

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rasper View Post
    is there talk of national league starting in august ?
    There has been "talk" of a league starting for the last how many years at this stage. But unfortunately that's all it is. Who knows, maybe we will see it in 2011, or 2012 or.......

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The FAI needs to remove its head from its proverbial rear end before this will happen. Womens soccer could be so much more popular if they had a national league, interest this year in womens football seems to be falling and part of the reason IMO is a lack of top level leagues for teams to aspire too, its stifling development.