Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: European Parliament Elections 2009

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    I don't think they'd poll as high as they did in the European elections but I think they'd make enough of an impact in Assembly elections to take a seat in places like East Belfast.

In Westminister Elections the prospect of losing a seat to nationalists in Unionist majority (or close to) areas doesn't stop the DUP and UUP going against each other in the likes of North and South Belfast. If Allister really wants to put it up to the DUP he may contest those.
    East Belfast is a good example of where they could get a seat, the PUP have one there currently. However, I don't see them getting more than a handful. In the past, the DUP and the UUP have agreed for one party only to run in South Belfast and the other in Fermanagh/South Tyrone. The TUV wouldn't go up against the DUP in these places. Indeed, Allister pointed out in his campaign the importance of getting two Unionist MEP's and the need to transfer 1 and 2 to the other Unionist candidates. I don't think he'd want to take the blame for splitting the Unionist vote.
    Last edited by holidaysong; 10/06/2009 at 6:16 PM.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Because there were no intermediate counts they were unsure if they could trust the result.
    And it turned out they couldn't when the assessment was done on the accuracy. 700 odd votes above the number that actually voted! Cullen ploughed on regardless, and even then paying way over the odds...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A
    That's pretty stupid. Even with the manual system it would be possible to distribute the votes fairly by looking at all the next preferences, yet there seems to be no inclination to do so.

Not quite getting you here- the retention of the paper element would mean that essentially we're retaining the current system but also adding an electronic version on top that will give us fast and accurate results. The electronic version should be more accurate- but the paper version has the advantage of transparency.

It wouldn't be something high on my priority list- but the mistake made in the NW count is very alarming indeed and highlights that improvements need to be made.
    I remember some constituency taking 2-3 weeks to complete it's count after the 2002 election due to several recounts, and thinking at the time, "thank goodness there'll be no more of that in the next election". There was of course, even if it didn't take anywhere near as long.

Remember the end of the vote in the French Lisbon ref, and their last election too. The result was announced within seconds. Job done. I prefer that system than the ifs, buts, and maybes process here, which looks a farce at times.

Anyway, now that it's done and dusted, fast forward to the next poll with Lisbon. If Cowen loses that, it'll be the third time he's been rejected by the electorate. If it happens, he has no option but to resign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    If Cowen loses that, it'll be the third time he's been rejected by the electorate. If it happens, he has no option but to resign.
    How is a no vote a rejection of Cowen? If it's a yes vote, will that be an endorsement of him?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    In a way, yes. Cowen wants Lisbon to go through, so if Lisbon goes through Cowen can chalk one down. The fact that everyone else wants a win is neither here nor there, it'll still be a small win for Biffo and he'll take anything he can get right now. He'll be shouting about his 3l337 skillz from the rooftops.

Still voting against, for the record. Haven't heard anything yet that'll change my mind. Haven't heard anything at all, for that matter.

adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 14/06/2009 at 2:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong
    If it's a yes vote, will that be an endorsement of him?
    While a No vote will preserve what remains of our independence, and show our solidarity with the silenced electorates throughout Europe, Cowen should face an internal revolt if he is rejected 3 times in the space of 18 months. He has no authority to remain the leader of his party and therefore, the country.
    Last edited by mypost; 15/06/2009 at 5:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Bloody nonsense ...and a party political broadcast to boot.

He was unwilling to accept that faceless, nameless bureaucrats ....
    JHC! Is this guy in UKIP or what? He'll be on about "dictats from Brussels" next.

When he realised that he would not win he did the honourable thing and accepted the decision with dignity. The people had spoken. Afterwards, some could not accept that a man could be gracious in defeat.
    He didn't and he wasn't. He spat a dummy about his votes being missing, got his recount, was found to have three thousand votes he shouldn't have had and promptly announced he was puncturing the ball and running home for his fish fingers. Dignified and gracious my hole.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post

JHC! Is this guy in UKIP or what? He'll be on about "dictats from Brussels" next.

ah not quite but close enough for folk music ...

What Declan Ganley’s Lisbon campaign showed up was the crassness of the main political parties by their adherence to the European diktat
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Someone should give Mayo News a heads-up about those new-fangled things called paragraphs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Someone should give Mayo News a heads-up about those new-fangled things called paragraphs.
    Actually, it is formatted in paragraphs. It seems their web designer just hasn't heard of using white space to separate them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Good movie poll though...

Don't think I will be getting my politicial fix from someone who calls himself Liamy...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    It's not though John83, it uses line breaks instead of paragraphs. So it's really the programmer at fault for not converting wacky news format to paragraphs.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011