Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: European Parliament Elections 2009

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    People can't emigrate, because there are no jobs in the UK, like there are no jobs here. The recession isn't just restricted to Ireland, you know.
    Amoung developed countries Irelands is being hit worse than all other countries besides Iceland. I presume this is because we are doubly hit because of global issues as well as collapse of property market. It is very likely that other countries will see recovery faster than Ireland because they have not fallen as badly.

I am not sure why we are even debating stupid Libertas policy as there is no chance it will ever see the light of day. Unless Ganley can get a lot of transfers there won;t be any Libertas MEPs from Ireland. It will however be very interesting to see where Libertas get their transfers...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Amoung developed countries Irelands is being hit worse than all other countries besides Iceland. I presume this is because we are doubly hit because of global issues as well as collapse of property market. It is very likely that other countries will see recovery faster than Ireland because they have not fallen as badly.
    The main reasons we're hit, is down to the collapse of the construction indsustry, and government levy policy. There is nothing there to get the economy moving again. There is some hope of getting our house in order with a different government, but we have to wait 3 years before that is possible, and if the opposition can't get it right then having howled at the moon for 12-15 years, they never will.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The main reasons we're hit, is down to the collapse of the construction indsustry, and government levy policy. There is nothing there to get the economy moving again. There is some hope of getting our house in order with a different government, but we have to wait 3 years before that is possible, and if the opposition can't get it right then having howled at the moon for 12-15 years, they never will.
    Exactly. If other countries pick up say next year under Libertas proposals it would restrict Irish workers going abroad.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student View Post
    I agree, well put.
    ???What??? Read the statement again. It makes no sense whatsoever....

Attacking other parties is to campaigning, as eating and drinking
    I think I can fathom the metaphor he attempted to employ but seriously like ..."well put" ?!?!

" I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I thought bald Student was being sarcastic
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Exactly. If other countries pick up say next year under Libertas proposals it would restrict Irish workers going abroad.
    When the 10 EU countries were admitted in 2004, only Ireland and the UK opened their doors to anyone who wanted to come in. There were some benefits, but it brought new racism and integration challenges. Most countries governments put restrictions on those coming across their borders, some up to 7 years after 2004. They were taken by established parties in power. Libertas are neither. It seems to me, another stick to beat them with.

Now, almost every EU country is in recession, so emigration of Irish workers hasn't drastically increased despite the unemployment problems here.

Quote Originally Posted by ORA
    FF aren't sinister, it's clear as day they are out to serve themselves and a small cabal of special interests.
    And that isn't sinister??

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    There were some benefits, but it brought new racism and integration challenges. Most countries governments put restrictions on those coming across their borders, some up to 7 years after 2004.
    Racism is being stoked up though, by parties using that card in elections. Like, eh, Libertas for example. So Libertas solution is to implement restrictions just as everyone else is getting ready to lift them?

Now, almost every EU country is in recession, so emigration of Irish workers hasn't drastically increased despite the unemployment problems here.
    Now, but the point is we're likely to lag in terms of upturn, and Libertas policy is to restrict the options for irish people to go abroad at work. That's after effectively forcing emigrants back here, because of their policy of not allowing immigrants to get benefits.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I got a Libertas leaflet and found it pretty laughable. 3/4 of it was covered with attacks on other parties, before a wee bit about about themselves.
    Well I have had FG and Labour at my door and for 99% of the time they just attacked FF. I asked them if they had any positive suggestions and within 2 seconds they had resorted back to passing negative comments.

Way too much moaning and petty point scoring for my liking.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Watched V Browne last night - were doing my constituency (wonder can Westmeath now apply to take part in the Ulster Hurling champs - reckon we might have a chance!!!!)

The SF and Independents came across very well - the FG was a joke and treated as such and Pat the cope refused to go on the show.
    Funny to see Browne have his little attack on the shinners - jesus the bile was running out of him
    If ever there was a reason to vote against Lisbon it was shown by the labour one - who when asked why she would vote for the treaty even though no concrete changes were put into it - she basically said that beacasue FF said it was so, so she would trust what the government would say - man labour are funny!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    Well I have had FG and Labour at my door and for 99% of the time they just attacked FF. I asked them if they had any positive suggestions and within 2 seconds they had resorted back to passing negative comments.

Way too much moaning and petty point scoring for my liking.
    Should people really vote on the "better the devil you know" arguement?
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I thought bald Student was being sarcastic
    I had a little double-take when I read it, but then I read mypost's drivel again, and concluded the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt
    If ever there was a reason to vote against Lisbon it was shown by the labour one - who when asked why she would vote for the treaty even though no concrete changes were put into it - she basically said that beacasue FF said it was so, so she would trust what the government would say - man labour are funny!!!!!
    It's not a reason, it's another reason.

If the whole country trusted the government now, "because FF said it was so" we'd look 10 times the laughing stock we currently are.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'm a turd sandwich man myself. Any one voting for douche bag?

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    So Libertas solution is to implement restrictions just as everyone else is getting ready to lift them? Now, but the point is we're likely to lag in terms of upturn, and Libertas policy is to restrict the options for irish people to go abroad at work. That's after effectively forcing emigrants back here, because of their policy of not allowing immigrants to get benefits.
    Everyone's in the same boat in the recession and everyone will recover at more or less the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Everyone's in the same boat in the recession and everyone will recover at more or less the same time.
    Ha!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    You do realise that's completely at odds with what you've said on this and other threads over the last 12 months?

If every economy moves together (ridiculous assertion btw. Compare growth rates over the last decade between EU nations) then surely
    1) labour borders are irrelevant and superfluous
    2) The EU is an Optimal Currency Area and the Euro should be widened

You're arguing for stronger integration...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I've always argued pro-Eurozone, as it's not integration. It's merely changing a few notes and coins, which benefits every citizen, not only politicians.

When the Irish economy was strong, the UK economy was strong as well. When the new EU countries came in, their economies improved at the same time with each other. Now the European economy is what it is, it's like a domino effect on everyone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I've always argued pro-Eurozone, as it's not integration. It's merely changing a few notes and coins, which benefits every citizen, not only politicians.

When the Irish economy was strong, the UK economy was strong as well. When the new EU countries came in, their economies improved at the same time with each other. Now the European economy is what it is, it's like a domino effect on everyone else.
    Wowser
    ---

reder
    Im not saying that. My comments related to the fact that the user I quoted was suggesting that Libertas spent its time complaining about other parties and offered little or no positive ideas. I was merely saying that other parties at my doorstep were doing the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah, that's fair enough. For the record I had a FF on my doorstop last night and his main argument was "can the others do any better"? I asked him for 3 specific things he'd do to help local schools. He couldn't give me one.
    ---

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast