Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground-sharing in Abbotstown?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts

Ground-sharing in Abbotstown?

There's an article in The Irish Times today on the possibility of a 15,000-seater ground being built in Abbotstown to house Shels, Pat's and Bohs. Anyone know anything about this? Suppose if the three of them are in trouble financially, it makes sense, although it would take away from the clubs' identity in my opinion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    surely that would be a disaster!

how could you have THREE teams sharing the one ground???

the pitch wouldn't last long, very difficult for teams to play at the same time at home every two weeks if they're sharing with two others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    Don't forget Rovers too - there was no mention of them in the article as far as I know (the paper was snatched away as I was reading it... ), but they certainly won't be in Tallaght for a while yet.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pineapple stu
    (the paper was snatched away as I was reading it... )
    students...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    That's a daft idea. Abottstown is miles away from anywhere and has fúck all transport to it.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Having three teams playing out of one stadium simply won't work. The pitch would not last the wear and tear especially when you consider the fact that, on top of the clubs own matches, the FAI would no doubt want to play most underage internationals and cup finals there aswell.
    I suppose the ideal would be to have two decent stadia in Dublin... you could have Bohs and Shels sharing in Abbotstown and Pats and Rovers sharing in Tallaght.
    Of course there still remains the issue of clubs not wanting to lose their identity. However, I think this could only be realistically applied to Bohs as Dalymount is the only one of the existing grounds with tradition and character.
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    And Dublin City might be looking to use it too? With a possible 5 clubs using the one ground, the pitch would be a mess.
    Ah sure, give it go!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd say it'll end up as just Bohs and Shels there. It would do more harm then good for Pats to move out there imo anyway. Bohs and Shels groundsharing in Abbotstown was a rumour about a month ago too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Originally posted by Colm
    Having three teams playing out of one stadium simply won't work
    i agree, but we'll have a chance to see the dry run. Shels, Rovers and Dublin City are apparently going to use Tolka if the latter two don't get their grounds in order for UEFA licencing

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Abbotstown might work for 1 team as its just next to Blanchardstown but couldn't see it supporting more than 1 team.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can see why $hels would want to ground share, after all their support is pathetic which means money will run out eventually.......not sure about Bohs though, Daler is a good ground and Bohs have potential good support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    I'll try and put up the full article and see if there was anything of substance in it.

By the way Ref - the business news takes precedent over the sports section in an accountants' office! Or at least, that's what they tell me as they take the paper from me anyway...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok
    i agree, but we'll have a chance to see the dry run. Shels, Rovers and Dublin City are apparently going to use Tolka if the latter two don't get their grounds in order for UEFA licencing
    Dublin City haven't even applied for whitehall in the Licencing option. We are certain to be playing in Tolka Park next season.

City have confirmed that they will be in Tolka Park next season, it is part of their application for the UEFA Licensing.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by dortie
    I can see why $hels would want to ground share, after all their support is pathetic which means money will run out eventually.......not sure about Bohs though, Daler is a good ground and Bohs have potential good support.
    Blanchardstown/Clonee etc... is a massive area & woulkd offer Bohs (better option) or $hels so more more potential support than they will ever get at the Tolka or Dalyer flatlands.

Without ground shares with 1 north & 1 south dublin ground the best for fututre for all is:
    Rovers - Tallaght
    Pats - Ballymun/Lucan
    Shel$ - Swords
    Bohs - Blanchardstown

Obviously Rovers have had their problems in Tallaght but would think the local authorities would offer similar deals to the other dublin teams outside the city centre.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by dortie
    Yeah, our support is pathetic but Bohs is fine, that's why we had about the same attendences last season...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Silly idea to have more than two teams in the one division sharing with each other.

That said, as some wiseass said to a few of us at the cup final, that if SPA were the only team in Dublin, then they would get crowds of 25k each and every week, as opposed to CCFC getting 5-6k. Well if thats the case merge the whole fúcking lot of them, and i'd say they would be lucky to get 25hundred, let alone 25000.

Apart from Bohs and Shels, the other dub clubs offer nothing to the league, esp SPA and Dublin City, at least Shams have 'tradition'. Perhaps merge Bohs and SPA and Shels with Dublin City, and leave shams to go away into the oblivion theyare currently headed.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Slash/ED
    Yeah, our support is pathetic but Bohs is fine, that's why we had about the same attendences last season...
    In fairness to Shels their support has improved this year, but the level of support all the Dublin clubs are getting is quite frankly pathetic. Rovers have some excuse in that many of their fans have understandably just given up over the years since they left Milltown, but the others have no excuse. I've heard so many claims that Shels lost a lot of their support by moving to Tolka- tough, thats their problem. And IMO, Bohs are the worst of the lot- "Big Club" They can hardly fill one side of the ground most times I've been there, and they're in their traditional home.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Dublin is far too small to sustain 6 different teams from different divisions. In time to come, I would like to see the FAI have their own pitch at Abbotstown. But that suggestion in the Irish Times a bit ludicrous really and far fetched.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna
    In fairness to Shels their support has improved this year
    Only slighty I'd say, I know they've got themselves a lot of flags etc but have they actually recruited many new fans?
    We played them on the night they won the league in November and there was little more than 2000 at it... that's absolutely pathetic.
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Here's the article in full...

The FAI is considering building a 15,000-seater complex in Abbotstown which could house three Dublin football clubs, Shelbourne, Bohemians and St Patrick's Athletic.

The complex would be accompanied by a new FAI headquarters, training grounds and national coaching centre.

The plans are still at an early stage and FAI sources say there has not been contact with the Government over whether lands at Abbotstown would be available for the development.

However, it would allow the Taoiseach to salvage something from his original plans for an 80,000-seater stadium and sports campus at the site in west Dublin.

The provision of the State-owned land to the FAI would also help undo some of the damage caused by the fallout over the Eircom Park fiasco, which led the FAI to abandon its plans for a stadium in favour of the Taoiseach's plans for Abbotstown.

The plans to move the FAI headquarters from Merrion Square and training facilities from the AUL Complex in Clonshaugh have been talked about for some time, although fresh plans for a sports complex for Dublin clubs are likely to prove controversial.

Mr Gerry Cuffe, secretary of Bohemians, said last night: "It's hard to know what's going on. We feel we have something to offer in Dalymount. But until we see what's on table, it's far too early to comment."

All three clubs which could move to a new complex are either in debt or are short of money. Shelbourne had to defer the payment of wages to some players over Christmas, while Bohemians has held several meetings to examine ways of generating additional funds in recent months.

The potential sale of the grounds could free up substantial amounts of capital, however, there is likely to be some opposition to the notion of groundsharing. An FAI source said the plans were at a very early stage. The final shape or location of its planned developments were only at discussion stage.

It is not the first time the idea of the State providing funds or land to the FAI for the development of a second stadium has been mooted.

At the time of the Eircom Park plans, the former FAI chief executive, Mr Brendan Menton, helped broker a deal with the Taoiseach which would have provided Government funding to upgrade Tolka Park or Dalymount as a second stadium for league games or under-21 internationals.
    Champions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast