Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you want barstoolers in the LOI?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Gustavo.

Derry 3, Glasgow Celtic 2. Lansdowne Road, August 1998. The Carlsberg Tournament.

Bus loads of "Derry Celtic" fans travelled to see their team. Best. Day. Ever.

They got it tight for years afterwards.........
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    "Celtic" fans (from Derry) at the friendly last year to Derry fans: "You're supposed to be at home..."
    Jesus, surely some of them must have paused for a moment and thought how ridiculous it was that they were supporting a foreign club against their home town team ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Proper advertising with the media is the way to do it. I am living in Seattle (USA) now and the city just launched a new team to compete in the MLS called the Seattle Sounders FC.
    The blitz on the media by the club was amazing to see, papers,tv, radio etc... The result is that the club sold out over 22000 season tickets almost overnight and there are over 30,000 at every home games.
    The atmosphere is amazing and even going to away games all over the US you can see great away support numbering a couple of thousand.
    I cant understand for the life of me what the FAI are upto, they should take a leaf from the people that run the MLS to see how its done properly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor View Post
    Gustavo.

Derry 3, Glasgow Celtic 2. Lansdowne Road, August 1998. The Carlsberg Tournament.

Bus loads of "Derry Celtic" fans travelled to see their team. Best. Day. Ever.

They got it tight for years afterwards.........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmUl6...eature=related

DCFC!

Jesus I hate Celtic. Bloody class.
    DCFC

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    perhaps the most pathetic and at the same time disgusting thing I have ever heard. Did the Drogheda fans reply with anything? I wouldn't be aggressive but that kind of thing would have made my blood boil

yes we did cant remember exactly what now to be honest something along the lines of if your only here for larsson **** off home i think

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I was discussing this with someone on another forum, and he said essentially that the LOI was a ****e standard, had a crap atmosphere, and even if people did want to go, LOI supporters would treat them with contempt for being blow-ins.

In my experience, people are happy to have you at a game, and won't generally judge you because you don't know who the short lad on the right wing is.

The question is, if some miracle of marketing swept across the country, and it suddenly became cool to support the LOI, with 5-figure attendances not-uncommon, would you be happy at the success of the league, or resent all the people who used to be barstoolers?

what a pointless thread

god i hate the term barstoolers
    Last edited by back of the net; 09/05/2009 at 1:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    god i hate the term barstoolers
    Would you prefer the term 'glory-hunters' or the like?

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx92 View Post
    Would you prefer the term 'glory-hunters' or the like?
    barstooler term just p8sses me off due to its overuse on this site - simple as that Foxx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    One of the posts that sparked this off, for anyone who thinks this is a pointless thread with no bearing on the way some people actually think, from a Shelbourne fan.

no way would i support a franchise team and in no way am i a LOI martyr. Im happy the way things are now. i dont want bigger attendances because i dont want it to turn into british football where it is frowned up to even stand up. i dislike the league and every team and supporter around it, i only love my own club. But i dont respect the football opinion of bar stool football fans because football is just a tv programme to them. im also against this agenda of regional football. if the demand is there then they should be welcomed into the league but no fake madey up teams. Shels, Bohs, rovers and pats are amongst the biggest clubs in the country for a reason. People actually come out to support these teams whilst regional clubs struggle to get into 4 figure attendances. if your for franchise football then please please stay away from our league
    Edit: It wasn't me who proposed franchise football, it was someone else, I am completely against the concept.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    "Celtic" fans (from Derry) at the friendly last year to Derry fans: "You're supposed to be at home..."
    There's a fairly obvious irony in that song......I wonder do they get it? And btw what was the response?
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    There's a fairly obvious irony in that song......I wonder do they get it? And btw what was the response?
    Do you expect an answer to that question? Just take a look at this photo taken outside Croke Park and see if barstoolers do irony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Pointless question IMO, it's like asking the church if they want atheists at mass. They wouldn't be atheists anymore.
    I dunno, technically you could have a group of atheists at mass and they couls all still be atheists

It's an excuse, simple as. Yet another flimsy, unreasonable, unjustifiable excuse.
    In a nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Do you expect an answer to that question? Just take a look at this photo taken outside Croke Park and see if barstoolers do irony.

That is unreal actually.

Thats said, when we get numbers at Turners Cross its brilliant and definitely eveyone is welcomed with open arms.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    Unfortunatley no-one could find a way to fit, "idiotic" "gullible" "Andy Gray "local team" "bandwagon jumping" and "clowns" into a song in time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Once shared a house with 2 northern guys, massive Liverpool, Celtic and Sinn Fein supporters. 10 minutes before kick off of AC V Liverpool in Istanbul,I asked the question, would we support our catholic latin brethern, against the prodestant, god save the queen singing, 700 years of oppression,British club......silence followed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Once shared a house with 2 northern guys, massive Liverpool, Celtic and Sinn Fein supporters. 10 minutes before kick off of AC V Liverpool in Istanbul,I asked the question, would we support our catholic latin brethern, against the prodestant, god save the queen singing, 700 years of oppression,British club......silence followed
    You mean against Milan Football and Cricket Club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The barstoolers will not attend league of Ireland games even if they were free in with a pint and pie on arrival. Each game was a 5-goal thriller and Kelly Brooke (Sean from Eastenders for the ladies) was doing a striptease at half-time!

The barstooler is brianwashed by BSkyB, Setanta and British media EPL top four hype. Just look at how many of them know about English football outside the big four or pre-Premiership.

They don't think for themselves, Andy Gray and Jamie Redknapp do that for them.

I can't for the life of me understand how these 'hardcore football fans' don't follow the league? If they are football mad!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Because the LOI is crap dont'cha know? The pub team they play in (The Kop Reds, or the Stretford Devils, or whatever they have chosen to call themselves) is a higher standard than Bohemians.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    I dunno, technically you could have a group of atheists at mass and they couls all still be atheists

In a nutshell

That is unreal actually.

Thats said, when we get numbers at Turners Cross its brilliant and definitely eveyone is welcomed with open arms.
    On the mass point, I'm guilty of that, except I'm an agnostic.

That picture makes me slightly sick.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Yeah. Not very likely though, is it? Incidentally, you should read The Atheist's Mass by Honoré de Balzac, it's very good.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post

That pic while funny was photoshopped the guy had a banner but it said something else!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast