Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Connor declares war on the League of Ireland (especially Bohs!!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a tw*t.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Can we go back to the High Court with this and say to the judge 'Look, this is what we were dealing with. Can we have our money back, please?'
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    Can we go back to the High Court with this and say to the judge 'Look, this is what we were dealing with. Can we have our money back, please?'
    Knowing Bohs, they'll probably give it a shot.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Bit of a Rafa moment for Connor, but if they win their next couple of games I'm sure it'll be forgotten about. Criticising referreeing decisions always smacks of sour grapes- is there any player, supporter or manager in the country who doesn't feel they've been hard done by by certain decisions so far this season? There's no question he's made himself a target but maybe that's his intention- draw all the ire onto himelf, deflecting it from the players. I'm sure he knows the score by this stage- you live by the sword, you die by the sword. Interesting to see how Dundalk do on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovers Maniac View Post
    By the way i think i said to Dundalk fans he would be looking for more money soon and what do you know week 10 has just gone and he is already appealing to the business community.
    There's plenty of things to slag Connor off about but trying to galvanise the local business community into generating money for the club is a sensible thing to do. Maybe if you'd done the same Cook wouldn't be moaning about his small squad every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    There's enough messing going on inside and around EL grounds without encouraging it in the match programme.
    Yup, it's not that he necessarliy meant it that way- I'm sure he didn't, but he really does leave himself open to criticism given some of the eh... "off-field issues" Dundalk have had this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ps bohs View Post
    seems like they had already started

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_...st/8022112.stm
    That newspaper article is from 28th April. In foot.ie terms it's old news. To post it with that comment is at best, misleading.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 05/05/2009 at 6:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    There's plenty of things to slag Connor off about but trying to galvanise the local business community into generating money for the club is a sensible thing to do. Maybe if you'd done the same Cook wouldn't be moaning about his small squad every week.
    So i take it you did't read The Sligo Champion from Aug '08 to about March '09

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers1 View Post
    So i take it you did't read The Sligo Champion from Aug '08 to about March '09
    Obviously not. I live in Dublin.

Clearly all that fund-raising from August to Febuary was a success though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Ah sure all Rovers fans know that was a conspiracy

You can get The Champion on Fridays in Easons so no excuse from now on buck!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Dirty.

He cant talk about teams being dirty.Dundalk were the most "physical" side to play us in Terryland this season so far.I hope the ref is watching closely on Friday night in the reverse fixture.
    This is poor stuff from him,it might rally the troops for a game or 2 but if your bad you will lose games consistently,simple as.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    so do dundalk finally believe that us and bohs,who were telling the truth that he is a spoofer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bit of a Rafa moment for Connor, but if they win their next couple of games I'm sure it'll be forgotten about. Criticising referreeing decisions always smacks of sour grapes- is there any player, supporter or manager in the country who doesn't feel they've been hard done by by certain decisions so far this season? There's no question he's made himself a target but maybe that's his intention- draw all the ire onto himelf, deflecting it from the players. I'm sure he knows the score by this stage- you live by the sword, you die by the sword. Interesting to see how Dundalk do on Friday.

Yup, it's not that he necessarliy meant it that way- I'm sure he didn't, but he really does leave himself open to criticism given some of the eh... "off-field issues" Dundalk have had this year.

That newspaper article is from 28th April. In foot.ie terms it's old news. To post it with that comment is at best, misleading.
    To be fair i don't hear Cook on every week mouthing about the small squad, its the lads in the studio who mention it. We played Cork last week we had Holmes, Morrison, Butler, Almeida, Parkhouse, Ventre and Doherty out, i think it may have a legitimate reason to mention the injuries because it was detremential to our chances last week or for any team for that matter who 6 of their 7 starters are out.

You have to be lucky with a small squad and if you are not you just have to accept it and do your best. Cook is working with a smaller squad than last season but we are in two more competitions. At the start of the season he was asked to work with 14 players which is impossible.

Connor took a needless gamble in my view of going for a small squad with decent full time players. As with every gamble there is a risk and his gamble has backfired imo. He would have thought if they were doing well in July extra funds would be made available to him to bring in more quality, his but picking up injuries and suspensions which was always going to be possibility means that the gamble has backfired on him. He would have been much better of lowering expectations and not throwing out last year's squad on mass and bringing in the usual mob he brings with him.

Dundalk more than any other town due to its proximity to the North is suffering at the moment, so instead of appealing for more money from the business community ! (which is his usual trick, Bohs seen what he did when he has money) he should thanking them for their support of the club in these tough times. A grade 1 clown i hope he never comes near us again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Jesus, what an embarassment of a man.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    The most interesting part is how Matthews wants to build infrastructre and the youth team, while he openly admits that all he cares about is getting quality on the pitch now and won't do that.

How can he beg for more money and complain of a small squad? With a budget over 20k a week, it must be in the top three in the country. For a promoted side, that is not bad. It was his choice to release nearly all the squad from last year and bring in big names that cost a lot. With 20k, he could have put together a huge squad.

He may be trying to create a spirit, but more likely it is a spoof and he is trying to hide the fact that he has been an expensive failure so far. I say so far because it is very early days...luckily for Dundalk he was only offered one year and he won't waste too much of Matthews' money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Bit of a Rafa moment for Connor,
    Not so much a Rafa moment as a Kevin Keegan one!
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Nobody who attended that match on Friday and is being truly objective can claim that Paul Keegan didn't deserve to get sent off.

However, I agree with most of the comments on here that it is a completely over the top reaction from Connor. Calls for our club to get 'nasty' aren't helpful.

This bit at the end did make me laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    You can read an expanded version of these notes in the Dundalk FC Magazine on sale on Friday night at the Galway game.
    An expanded version?!?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Surely a fine will be in order for Connor for speaking out like this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers Maniac View Post
    Dundalk more than any other town due to its proximity to the North is suffering at the moment, so instead of appealing for more money from the business community ! (which is his usual trick, Bohs seen what he did when he has money) he should thanking them for their support of the club in these tough times. A grade 1 clown i hope he never comes near us again.
    Exactly, every business in the border region is suffering at the moment.
    He should be happy with what he has, and get on with the job.
    However,
    The guy is an absolute moron.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I wish Maxi would set Connor on fire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory H View Post
    The most interesting part is how Matthews wants to build infrastructre and the youth team, while he openly admits that all he cares about is getting quality on the pitch now and won't do that.

Agreed

That's Connor all over. First team is all that matters to him.

If infrastructure and youth set-ups are what Matthews want then Connor is not the man for him.

Remember how He single-handedly demolished the Youth set-up here and it's only beginning to get back on it's feet now, 4 years on...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeixlipRed View Post
    I wish Maxi would set Connor on fire
    I was wondering how long it would take for Maxi to get mentioned!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory H View Post
    .... With a budget over 20k a week, it must be in the top three in the country. For a promoted side, that is not bad. It was his choice to release nearly all the squad from last year and bring in big names that cost a lot. With 20k, he could have put together a huge squad.

Where in the name of God do you guys get these figures?

The budget that Connor was given was 12k per week which annually is only 70k more than the annual budget for the previous season. However, he hasn't used his full budget and Dundalk are spending 49% of its income on players wages.

£20k a week.... I wish!!!
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast