Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floodlights

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Floodlights

The Cross is going to finally get floodlights according to the back of the Echo. FAI are going to move Bishopstown ones to the Cross thus saving £35,000 and allowing us to stage a U-21 match in March
    Oh no not them again

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let there be Light

Bring on the lights, about time too.

Given the amount of Competition to the MonU game on Sunday its a wonder we had any crowd at all.

Celtic/Leeds/Liverpool/Nemo all on together.
    2/3 games on telly every Sunday-SKY are really putting the boot in.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question U-21

Isn't there some regulation concerning the maximum distance from where the full international takes place regarding U-21 internationals?

If the saving is 35k I would have thought it would make sense for the FAI to install new ones and keep the floodlit facility at B Town. Not having read the Echo, who is paying for the floodlights - City, the MFA, The FAI or a combination of them?

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

Gerry Desmond

Re: U-21

Originally posted by Jim Smith
    Isn't there some regulation concerning the maximum distance from where the full international takes place regarding U-21 internationals?

If the saving is 35k I would have thought it would make sense for the FAI to install new ones and keep the floodlit facility at B Town. Not having read the Echo, who is paying for the floodlights - City, the MFA, The FAI or a combination of them?

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
    There is an 80-mile (I think) rule about an U21 game being played away from the city hosting the senior game. If the countries agree otherwise, or as in the case of a friendly - as the Denmark game is - the rule need not apply.

No idea, to be honest Jim, who's putting up the cash. Probably a combination of everyone. It makes sense to use the Btown lights as the stadium is on the long finger to be razed anyway, is it not?

Thank God the lights are on the way at long, long last!

Gerry

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up City see the light!!!!!!!!

I'm presently surprised they've got the Bishopstown lights as they're definitely some of the best floodlights in the league.

4 corner poles is sooooooooo much better than having the 6 small ones that many ground have will the poles obstructing the view then.

I don't think City should necessarily move games to a friday night all the time but does allow then have mid-week games at night & move individual games to a friday ot saturday as is required.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up Floodlights and all that

Thanks for the info Gerry a few friendlies at the X should be good for generating a bit of interest.

As far as I'm concerned if the floodlights mean that I'll never, ever have to sit through a rescheduled match of a Tuesday afternoon with a crowd of about 200 against UCD its money well spent for that alone!

I just hope the planning permission hasn't lapsed or something because Rebel is spot on about the coner lighting. I can't see the obstructing the view if they are positioned near to the corners of the pitch.
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    AFAIK, the Bishopstown stadium has already been sold, so maybe the March timing as has much to do with when the builders are moving in as anything else (says the cynic). There's also a great big road (the Ballincollig by-pass, a continuation of the South Ring Road) due to be built there soon.

Gerry Desmond

Re: Floodlights and all that

Originally posted by Jim Smith
    Thanks for the info Gerry a few friendlies at the X should be good for generating a bit of interest.

As far as I'm concerned if the floodlights mean that I'll never, ever have to sit through a rescheduled match of a Tuesday afternoon with a crowd of about 200 against UCD its money well spent for that alone!

I just hope the planning permission hasn't lapsed or something because Rebel is spot on about the coner lighting. I can't see the obstructing the view if they are positioned near to the corners of the pitch.
    Yeah - friendlies, cup replays with decent KOs, underage internationals etc. Lights open up a lot of options that hopefully the club, and indeed the MFA, can pursue.
    They ARE a great set of lights, + AFAIK the Planning Permission is OK. Don't quote me on that, though...

A whole new dimension to the X, just a century after it was first used for footie. We're getting there...
    Cynicism aside, it's turning into a neat little stadium. I understand there are an extra 1,000 seats scheduled for the St Anne's Park end a future date also.

Friday nights underlights, X packed, stuffing the Dubs...I'm starting to believe again. All we need now is colour in the programme!

Gerry

Gerry

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lightbulb The future!!!

I understand there are an extra 1,000 seats scheduled for the St Anne's Park end a future date also.
    Where they gonna put them? Is there room?

After lights i'd say the priorities would be:
    1. roof on st annes
    2. tidy up of the ground removing gravel 'n stones etc...
    3. eventually knocked the shed & have big stand all the way across.

Bring back Rocketman!

Gerry Desmond

Re: The future!!!

Originally posted by rebel

Where they gonna put them? Is there room?

After lights i'd say the priorities would be:
    1. roof on st annes
    2. tidy up of the ground removing gravel 'n stones etc...
    3. eventually knocked the shed & have big stand all the way across.
    rebel, I've been told that they will go on the bank behind the existing seats. Don't know for certain if that bank can hold 1,000 more seats. Just passing on some info that I am aware of.

Agree with your other points and, at the risk of crucifixion, I'd place #3 ahead of #2. Not sure if it's part of the plan, however!

Gerry

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up Developments

I've been pleased enough at the progress the City board have made in recent seasons with the X. IMo they need to do something every year just to convince people they're progressing. Just gradualy tip away at things & we'll have a decent 8-10k seater at the end.

Wouldn't it be great covered seats all round, under lights & a big match & crowd. Then the X can return to the fortress it once was!!!

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Floodlights and all that

Originally posted by Gerry Desmond

All we need now is colour in the programme!

Gerry

Gerry
    and a decent, official website!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Total agree with whats said above, floodlights would make a great difference to the ground,knocking the shed and rebuiding a larger stand should be next on the list. Nice to see the ground being improved all the same.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

Does anybody know if there will be restrictions on the amount of times the floodlights will be allowed to be used. Landsowne Rd can only have 5 floodlight games in a year. Will something like this be inforced at the X due to the proximity of residential housing?
    One may smile and smile and be a villan!

Gerry Desmond
    Originally posted by Citymark
    Does anybody know if there will be restrictions on the amount of times the floodlights will be allowed to be used. Landsowne Rd can only have 5 floodlight games in a year. Will something like this be inforced at the X due to the proximity of residential housing?
    Don't know about restrictions, but Tolka, Richer & Dalyer are all in similar residential situations and they don't appear to have limits on the usage of the lights.

Gerry

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know it would mean the advent of night football but would it increase or decrease crowds? Surely as the league is switching to summer football anyway night games won't mean competition with GAA/ Olympics blah blah blah...

Opinions?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up Fllodlights good

Whatever way you look at it floodlights give the club more options & will be a wise investment (for whoever is "footing" the bill )

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Floodlights

great to hear about the lights especially for mid-week replays. afaik musgrave park is limited in the amount of night games they can have due to residents. dalymount, tolka etc have had lights since before the flood so they don't have problem with planning permission.
    no point in wasting anymore money on seats in the saint anns end it is never more than 1/2 full. put on the roof and forget about it.
    money would be better spent on tidying up the ground and a few pounds could also be spent on painting cork city fc on the walls outside the cross. if the mfa don't agree they could always paint " turners cross - home of munster football"
    also re knocking down the shed: replace it if necessary (not in my opinon) but keep it a standing area. there should be at least 1 standing area in each ground for those who prefer to stand.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well i'd say that the shed should go eventually.

Yiddo, you do have a point about the St Annes end. However if it was covered, id imagine that more people would come. If the groung looks good, it will attract more people.

Floodlights will be great. Id love if we had friday night football. There isn't any competition then. Also we could have friendlies mid week, re-arranged matches etc.

vive la revoulotion!(i think)
    Its a Peoples Republic of Cork

Gerry Desmond

Seats @ St Annes's end

We may not see the need for more seats at the minute, but I think it's imperative that there is as big a capacity as is possible at the venue.

A) The city of Cork needs it
    B) CCFC may be well appreciative of it on certain occasions - friendlies v English clubs; if they ever get past a round or two in Europe and draw a big club; if they stand to win the league title on the final day of the season etc etc
    C) We can't tell the future. Laugh now, but who knows - NL soccer may become very fashionable at some stage if it ever manages to go professional.
    D) It will be more expensive down the road to up the capacity of the ground (if for instance the decision is made in 10 years time).

Best to maximise the capacity rather than regret it later.

Gerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast