Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Norn Iron

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Norn Iron

I followed with interest the "It beggars belief" thread. Having looked at the ourweecountry site a few times in the past, it is informative to find out what our friends up north have to say.

Unlike Norn Iron supporters, the *vast* majority of Republic supporters do not regard their neighbours as a rival of any sort. Casual disinterest is probably the best way to sum up the feeling of Republic supporters. (Anyway Norn Iron are so bloody crap at present that *few* teams could regard them as a rival.) Norn Iron as a team are simply not discussed except in relation to their no-score run, the Lennon retirement etc. The "rivalry" such as it exists seems to be generated by the ourweecountry boys and their supporters.

Having only attended the 1994 match in Windsor, I cannot say what the atmosphere is like now. It was not particularly enjoyable for us that night. I wondered if I had turned up to the wrong match when I noticed a large number wearing what seemed to be Rangers scarves . Having said that I was seated next to a number of people from Portadown who were top men and real NI supporters.

The ourweecountry site seems to me to have a minority of contributors who, despite their protestations, seem to despise everything (and everyone) south of the 'border'. SuperProds and DUPe supporters? Who cares. The majority appear to be real supporters who want to support a struggling team through a difficult phase. If that is the case then they are *real* supporters of their team and should be applauded for their efforts. Results will improve for the team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Norn Iron

Originally posted by republic
    The majority appear to be real supporters who want to support a struggling team through a difficult phase. If that is the case then they are *real* supporters of their team and should be applauded for their efforts. Results will improve for the team.
    Hear hear. See you in Berlin
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1994 Windsor

Republic, I was at the 1994 match and there were a few unsavoury and unacceptable things said to Republic fans in the North Stand, although in general, we were just a load of grumpy cnuts because we were getting chinned. Having said that, things have changed a hell of a lot at Windsor. When I started to go to NI matches in the early 80's there was a lot of sectarian **** sung, mainly in the kop end. For the last couple of matches, I've been in the same area (although it's now a stand) and the atmosphere was excellent. There are still a few ********s who shout 'no surrender' during GSTQ (which I could also do without) and I did spot one guy wearing a Rangers top at the last match, but in all honesty, that was it for my part of the ground.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was also in the North stand that night and kept quiet. It would be fair to say that there was a hostile atmosphere there for those supporting the Republic. Thankfully the NI supporters seated immediately beside me were good lads.

I haven't really experienced such a nasty atmosphere until a couple of years ago at the North London derby between Spurs and Arsenal at the Lane when Sol Campbell made his first appearance there for Arsenal. It was really hostile outside the ground for any Gooner. Thankfully we had seats for the away section

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Republic, I've no doubt it was an uncomfortable evening in '94, it was a sour atmosphere. No excuses from me, it was unacceptable.

Glad to see you support the best team in England. Not looking forward to our 'Boro fest though, I reckon they'll try and bore us into submission.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by JohnB
    Republic, I've no doubt it was an uncomfortable evening in '94, it was a sour atmosphere. No excuses from me, it was unacceptable.

Glad to see you support the best team in England. Not looking forward to our 'Boro fest though, I reckon they'll try and bore us into submission.

I believe things have improved since that night and that the 'party songs' are less in evidence. It would be interesting to see the reception the Republic would receive should they visit WP now. Somehow, I think all the SuperProds would be back out in force again.

As regards the Gunners, it is good to see that certain things transcend such rivalries. We are actually going over on Saturday. Could have picked more attractive opposition but as I haven't had the pleasure of seeing them since the away game in Birmingham in November, a fix was badly needed!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Republic,

The party songs are now, thankfully, non existent.

As for playing the Republic again, I was glad we didnt get drawn against them this time. The scum might try and come back. We need to continue our work in ensuring we get more people and allow ALL those who want to support the NI team to attend.

I look forward to playing them in the future and having a heated, tense atmosphere of rivalry and not hate from both sides.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by nifan
    hate from both sides.
    Haven't heard that one before.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna
    Haven't heard that one before.
    There are a fair few ROI supporters in the North who give a significant amount of grief to Northern Ireland fans. Are you going to try and deny that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Originally posted by nifan
    There are a fair few ROI supporters in the North who give a significant amount of grief to Northern Ireland fans. Are you going to try and deny that?
    Well we certainly aren't going to accept any blame for it.

[size=1]Edited for stupid spelling error.[/size]
    Last edited by John83; 09/01/2004 at 4:06 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by John83
    Well we certainly aren't going to accept any blaim for it.
    I never blamed "you". read what i said in my original post. Theres a bit of bile from people in the republic as well, but not as much.
    Anyway "we" seem to take blame for a lot that most of us arent involved in.

I said I dont want hate from either side from anyone.