Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 Team League ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm just woundering if Bray were promoted would they be so pushed about the idea?

I wounder how Kildare will vote? I'd say Kildare will go yes if Devo has a word with them.
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    a 22 team league will never happen. i say a 12 team premier division was the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Even though I'd like to see a more balanced spread of clubs around the country, 22 is definately not the way to go. I would be in favour of Éanna's idea; 16 team Premier division, with an organised regional structure below (Part of the 1st div clubs' woes is the cost of travel & accom). What shape the lower tier takes is another debate, though there could be as many as four regional divisions.

However, more teams would have to be relegated, maybe two down automatically and two Premier teams and two other teams in a playoff for one spot.

Part of the reason that Bray and other clubs feel in dispair is because the odds on actually getting promoted are quite low - a more fluid situation would lead to more competitiveness, and it would also mean that its not the end of the world for clubs who get relegated.

16 teams means 30 games, slightly less than at the moment. The League cup could be expanded, possibly with the carrot of an intertoto cup place: 1) to fill in more games, 2) to give lower division clubs more opportunity to play with bigger teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Whatever they do, say in this 2 year experimental period thats proposed, the league must start looking for extra teams to join the league. Kildare County are a great example of what can be achieved.

Places like Kerry, Clare, Mayo are big soccer areas with very strong junior leagues, while Tipperary has 2 junior leagues north and south. They're all capable of providing a team each, and should be encouraged to do so. There's plenty of other counties that would join the bandwagon aswell. This has to happen down the line anyway if the FAI's plans for regional academy's and schools of excellence are to come to fruitition in the coaching development plan. We need more clubs. A regionally split first division could therefore prove to be a good idea initially, but certainly not in the longterm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Why change at all? I don't think the current system has been given enuff of a chance yet - why must we ALWAYS tinker?? De NL has changed structure more times in de last 13 years than any other league I know of

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    the problem with the twelve team league is that you're back to unbalanced fixtures, playing two away and one home against certain teams, and we've proven this season that we're unlikely to manage a fixture list with forty-four games, so thirty three it'll have to be.

i think the current format should be given a few years, at least until the county sides that have been mentioned are up to scratch, remember that they'll have to fulfill UEFA licencing requirements too and very few would pass at the moment.

the idea of one division with no relegation or promotion would kill the league as it is currently doing to the first division, teams adrift at the bottom ten games in seem more concerned with 'consolidating' for the following year than competing.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down what a joke!

We've only had 1 season of the ten team premier & already people want changes - is there any woinder the eL so badly off when no one seems able to stick with decisions.

The eL can barely sustain 22 teams so little chance of any junior clubs making the jump to the eL.

10 team league has definitely improved the quality of the Premier. A few seasons ago we had Monaghan & Kilkenny adrift at the foot of the table getting trashed week in week out but thats not likely to happen anymore.

The top teams are struggling financially already so why change to a larger premier division where they'll just subsidise the smaller teams???
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts

Re: what a joke!

Originally posted by pete
    We've only had 1 season of the ten team premier & already people want changes - is there any woinder the eL so badly off when no one seems able to stick with decisions.
    In fairness, a lot of people (myself included) weren't exactly in favour of the ten-team league when it came in in the first place. Given how clubs from the Pale have increased their dominance of the league in the two seasons since, it's not surprising there's still a few calls for change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok
    i think the current format should be given a few years, at least until the county sides that have been mentioned are up to scratch, remember that they'll have to fulfill UEFA licencing requirements too and very few would pass at the moment.
    And we should wait a bit after de licensing comes in to see if all teams can survive it. It still could cause de biggest shake-up of de league - with clubs going to de wall or merging to comply with it. We may yet end up with one division of stronger teams - who knows

TheRealRovers
    Originally posted by 4tothefloor
    Places like Kerry, Clare, Mayo are big soccer areas with very strong junior leagues,
    Mayo is not a big soccer area most people from their don’t give a **** about the eL when we played them in the league cup there was only 300 at the game and that’s including 200/250 Rovers supporters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12