Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accomodation Tips

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Accomodation Tips

Never been to South Africa myself. Anyone I know who has been mentions crime as a big concern and to avoid Joburg.

Anybody got any tips re accomodation.

If we don't qualify I will go anyway and probably try and do 7 games in 7 days in the 7 venues in and around Joburg. This involves leaving stadiums at 10.30pm after games and driving back in a rented car. Mosty of my tickets seem to be for 20.30 kickoffs.

I was thinking of staying in Pretoria as it appears to be convenient for many venues. Joburg is another option.

Any tips on a safe area with good access to the main motorways.

Would I be better off staying on match night in Polokwane, Nelspruit, Bloemfontain etc. This means I could end up as a different hotel every night. I imagine it will be tough to get hotels in these places on match nights as well.

If we make it obviously I'll plan a trip around our games.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have been on a few occasions as my sister lived in Joburg for 15 years.Now lives in Zambia.

Joburg is bad but not bad as the media makes out. I have been around most of the country and cape Town and Durban been my fav places.

I have tickets for 3 first round games from different groups and a 2nd round game in durban. As for accomadation i will be talking to my sis over the w/end
    and will ask her re.accomadation. She has lots of relations through marriage all over the country. So when i get some advice i will post it here.

If you like gambling dont miss Gold city!!

www.wheretostay.co.za.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Would appreciate any advice

Website looks good. However hard to know what is a good area and how to avoid driving through areas that are best avoided.

Cheap, Safe and good motorway Access are the priorities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I'm no fan of Jhb or Pretoria (from my couple of work trips) but as Stretch says it's not as bad as the media portrays, you'll most likely stay in upmarket suburbs or in a secure block. Like any visit to a "developing nation" be it Asia, South America or Africa keep your wits about you, don't wander about places you're not sure about and don't wander about after dark unless you're in an area you know to be safe.
    www.portfoliocollection.com is a good source for places to stay especially if you are in Gauteng as it will afford you the chance to visit Kruger.

If you plan to visit Cape Town (which you really should if you come all this way) drop me a mail and I'll see if I can suggest some places.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I've gone for a different approach and have got two group matches in Nelspruit and one last 16 in Pretoria, so those three are all up in the corner near Mozambique. I hope to catch a safari or the Limpopo River or even Victoria Falls. Then I have a quarter final at Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth), and will try and pick up another quarter or semi in Cape Town.

Basically I'm going to fly into and out of Cape Town and then try and see if I can get an internal flight to Nelspruit and then buses Nelspruit -> Port Elizabeth -> Cape Town, they say trains are better but I'm not sure that route will work.

Hiring a car is a good idea but get an old banger, best not to have too much attention on yourself in a flash car etc. I have a close friend who is from South Africa and have been speaking to her at length about the situation. Although there is crime in SA, it is not as bad as the media makes it out to be. Also bear in mind that a lot of people will be visiting so there is likely to be a phenominal police presence. The government know the importance of the world cup to south africa and know ramifications would / could be huge for the future of the tourism industry if there are problems with crime.

Everyone should take a medical kit though! With syringes, tablets etc. But syringes are key, know your blood type and also if you are diabetic or have an allergy to penicillin etc get one of those bracelets. South African doctors are very good but facilities are not great and you dont want to take risks. And if you head up to the north west make sure you take anti malerials.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    As long as you have good travel insurance you will be covered under the private health system here which is top class and on the same level as private treatment in Europe.
    I wouldn't stress about medical stuff unless you have a specific problem (eg. astmatha or diabetes) or if you are planning some serious bush walking in the national parks. If you are on an organised safari trip in a lodge you will be well looked after.
    Edmundo I would look at flying in and out of JHB, from there it will be easier to get internal flights or get a flight into JHB and back from CPT, internal flights are coming down in price thanks to the new budget airlines here but JHB is the hub for most of them. The train from PE to CPT is supposed to be a nice trip, I wouldn't bother elsewhere as the distances are just too great, that said the drive from PE to CPT is right through the Garden Route and is lovely with loads of places to stop off.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can you suggest which area of Cape Town would be the best to stay in Enda?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I'd recommend Safarinow.com

Been to CPT a few times fionnbark.Depends what you want really.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Finbarrk, the stadium is located in Green Point which is close to the V&A waterfront, the CBD and is along the atlantic seaboard, where some of the pricier suburbs (Bantry Bay, Camps Bay, Clifton) are all located along the seaboard.
    Sea Point is generally more affordable and close and depending on what you are after there is a good mix of levels from backpackers to 5 star. I am expecting that Green Point will be very busy & expensive (I'm sure Sea point will be too) for a cheap alternative you can try the backpacker places in Cape Town proper, there's a few along long street (there was a tragic fire in one last night where 4 people were killed so maybe not a good time to do research).
    If you are planning on hiring a car it could widen your locations to take in southern suburbs & the west coast areas around Blouberg & Milnerton.

http://www.capetown-direct.com/maps.html

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well I'd like to stay where the nightlife is. I have researched that Long St. is the spot for that. I think I'll book a hotel in that area maybe.
    I got tickets for a few of the Cape Town games in the first ballot.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I managed to book an apartment in Green Point in Cape Town for 10 days during the first phase of matches. A lot of places seem to be booked out already and the prices that are quoted on websites for high season have doubled for the World Cup. They also seem to look for as much as possible to be paid up front but I managed to negotiate that down to a reasonable amount...let's face it they're not going to be left empty!

I emailed this crowd (http://www.tourismcapetown.co.za) and they found the place for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Long St is a good option, there's quite a few decent bars there, including the token Oirsh bar the Dubliner (there's now a second one called CaTu) also Green Point Main road has some decent bars too, they're only a few minutes apart by car/taxi & also close to the waterfront which has some decent restaurants and a couple of good bars.
    If you're booked into either Long St or Green point you're in good convienient spots.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    OK Enda, might see you there!
    Mickey, most of the websites don't take bookings untill 12 months in advance so I'll wait another month or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    probably only relevant to those of you planning to go irrespective of whether we make it or not.

hotels and B&Bs for June 2010 are available as from 11pm last night on booking.com and presumably on other sites later today.

A few worrying trends

I was watching pretoria - had picked out some places but they more than doubled (three bees) and even tripled their prices from May 2010 to June 2010.

All room appear to be non refundable and you must pay in full now. I had identified places that were fully refundable.

I ended up booking a B&B in Edenvale east of Jo'burg (3 brothers). It wasn't my first choice as I was hoping to avoid the city as much as possible. However they did keep their rates the same as May 2010 although maybe the pretoria B&Bs will be three times better in June than in May next year.

It was 34 euro per night for single occupancy for a twin room. It will be another 24 euro per night to use as a full twin room but that can be arranged when we have the draw.

4 venues are within an hour's drive. 3 more are driveable from Jo'burg. A 4th - Durban is at a push.

I'd appreciate any info on Edenvale if anybody knows it. The is a local website that says it is a nice quiet area.

Obviously if we qualify and are down south or east then I'll lose out but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to sell on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    www.sleeping-out.co.za

Another decent accomodation website, I've used them for booking a couple of things locally.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    www.sleeping-out.co.za

Another decent accomodation website, I've used them for booking a couple of things locally.
    I can vouch for that. I just spent a couple of days looking for accommodation in Durban without much success until I used the broadcast functionality on this website. It basically mails a bunch of places in the areas you want and I had a bout 10 responses this morning (half of which had some availability).

Another site I used that got back to me with an available place was http://www.howyaholidays.co.za

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The best accomodation tip is to book now before the draw in 2 hours time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Just another point, people are moaning about the difference between prices in May & June but the people I know or have asked about the WC have said they are effectively treating it as peak season and are charging peak season rates. Peak season here is December January when the school holidays normally are, next year the schools are also off for the duration of the World Cup so combined with the World Cup this is the justificatino for the second Peak season.
    If you compare a week in Jan and a week in June there should be little or no difference.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    Just another point, people are moaning about the difference between prices in May & June but the people I know or have asked about the WC have said they are effectively treating it as peak season and are charging peak season rates. Peak season here is December January when the school holidays normally are, next year the schools are also off for the duration of the World Cup so combined with the World Cup this is the justificatino for the second Peak season.
    If you compare a week in Jan and a week in June there should be little or no difference.
    Thanks Endabob but there does seem to be quite a bit of profiteering going on as well. I could understand a peak rate being applied and would be happy if this was the general case. I just enquired about a 3-star B&B in Durban and was quoted US$500 a night for one room - there is no way that is anywhere near the January rate!
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Thanks Endabob but there does seem to be quite a bit of profiteering going on as well. I could understand a peak rate being applied and would be happy if this was the general case. I just enquired about a 3-star B&B in Durban and was quoted US$500 a night for one room - there is no way that is anywhere near the January rate!
    Tell them to shove it! Durban should be one of the better served cities and I'm sure if you shop around you'll get a better deal.
    People are clearly letting greed take hold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast