3,214 Posts
    True, although it was branded as such.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    It was the term often used by British media and politicians for the Republic after partition to describe the 26 counties.

Ireland was the island and Éire was the 36 counties.

I actually like it personally, especially as we now have an all-island 32 county team.

But I guess for some it has historic, imperialist connotations. Which may seem strange as it is as Gaeilge.

My Father who is an ardent Irish speaker hates it being called Éire in this context, especially when said in an English accent 
    It complicated enough with adding in 4 more Counties !

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Fingal, Dún Laoghaire, Warwickshire and New York, no?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    people still say Italia 90.
    it says Eire on the jersey
    We're allowed refer to ourselves as Éire but the Brits aren't

In a British accent it essentially means Free State
    Last edited by Fixer82; 02/12/2020 at 1:11 PM.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    ok. Yeah well im not english, and im not gonna become on of those Queen kissers anytime soon, so thanks for the info.

I always thought that name was ......Irlanda in gaelic....., because we knew that. In spanish-castellano culture in Francisco Franco (who was a celt from Galizia) Spain and then with the PSOE of Felipe González and later the pseudo-basque Aznar and those creeps, was that name to describe the irish free country from the ulster.

In Latinamérica is the same in that context sort of speak, specially where they speak the purer spanish language or under the dominance of the country Spain as a whole (Mexico. Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua. El Salvador.
    Cuba.Colombia. Bolivia. Ecuador, Chile. Venezuela. Puerto Rico. .... California Texas and New Mexico).

In Argentina we always call them Ireland, but when you reached the Euro 88 and 90 the used in panini and Italy 90 tv shows as "É__E" we were perplexed as kids.
    I remember, I was 12 years old kid watching old canal 7 ATC, the public television, and they broadcasted the whole tournament, and they had "el flaco" César Menotti as football analist, he said Ireland could win it at the time with Liam Brady I remember.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    What’s wrong with using Eire? it is the actually name of the country (according to the constitution), I’d argue that’s as valid as whatever title the FAI registered with FIFA to appease the IFA or whatever the history was...
    No sorry after the republic of Ireland Act. It the republic of Ireland and it ain't Eire or the free state or hibernia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    ok. Yeah well im not english, and im not gonna become on of those Queen kissers anytime soon, so thanks for the info.

I always thought that name was ......Irlanda in gaelic....., because we knew that. In spanish-castellano culture in Francisco Franco (who was a celt from Galizia) Spain and then with the PSOE of Felipe González and later the pseudo-basque Aznar and those creeps, was that name to describe the irish free country from the ulster.

In Latinamérica is the same in that context sort of speak, specially where they speak the purer spanish language or under the dominance of the country Spain as a whole (Mexico. Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua. El Salvador.
    Cuba.Colombia. Bolivia. Ecuador, Chile. Venezuela. Puerto Rico. .... California Texas and New Mexico).

Franco wasn't a 'Celt'.

I assume you're alluding to him being from Galicia where the ancient Milesians emigrated from to Ireland.
    It's a big jump to call him a Celt (in the cultural sense of the word) or even a Gael.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    It's not the Republic of Ireland. That's the description of the state, not its name. It'd be akin to referring to the French Republic or the German Republic. It's a correct description of the state, but it's not the state name.

We're RoI in FIFA because the North had baggsies on "Ireland" and wouldn't give it up. FIFA's solution was that neither association could use Ireland (which seems a fair way to settle a debate between squabbling kids)

From wiki, "The government of the United Kingdom used the name "Eire" (without the diacritic) and, from 1949, "Republic of Ireland", for the state; it was not until the 1998 Good Friday Agreement that it used the name Ireland" - so you can see there is again an element there that their long-term refusal to use the term "Ireland" is linked to their claim on the North.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I am Ireland.

13. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I didnt know that one, but I remember when Ireland kept runner up from Netherlands in the draw, the little stripe said REP. OF IRELAND/ NETHERLANDS instead of Holland.
    In hispanic terms we alwyas say the name "Holanda " never "Países Bajos".

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    back to topic, why "chippy" Brady is so critical of Roy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    I didnt know that one, but I remember when Ireland kept runner up from Netherlands in the draw, the little stripe said REP. OF IRELAND/ NETHERLANDS instead of Holland.
    In hispanic terms we alwyas say the name "Holanda " never "Países Bajos".
    Holland is a province. The proper name is Netherlands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    My 2 cents is that Bielsa isn't a ***** from the home counties talking about Eire in a derogatory way. He doesn't think of the 26 counties as being the bit of Ireland where the guys trying to shoot him got away to in his squaddie days.

He's a South American doing his best in a second language. What about we show some of that famous céad míle fáilte spirit and give the guy a break?

My answer to the question asked, which unlike almost every other post in the past few days is actually on topic for the thread, is that I'm not aware of any particular issue between Brady and Roy Keane. Liam Brady is a fairly dour character though. He's a bit like that about everybody.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

18. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    My 2 cents is that Bielsa isn't a ***** from the home counties talking about Eire in a derogatory way. He doesn't think of the 26 counties as being the bit of Ireland where the guys trying to shoot him got away to in his squaddie days.

He's a South American doing his best in a second language. What about we show some of that famous céad míle fáilte spirit and give the guy a break?

My answer to the question asked, which unlike almost every other post in the past few days is actually on topic for the thread, is that I'm not aware of any particular issue between Brady and Roy Keane. Liam Brady is a fairly dour character though. He's a bit like that about everybody.
    I know a bit about the Ulster because I had to make a "coloquio" at University for "international politics" I chose a topic and talked like 20 minutes to my teacher about it with something related to" the troubles" I did that "coloquio" like 22 years ago 1998, 1997.
    I read a bit, plus the songs from u2 are very very popular, u2 is seeing down here as an anti english rock band. A kind of protest music mixed up with rock and roll culture.
    But I didnt know the difference between those two words, Eire was used in football as a football term in southamerica, once you qualified for the EUROCOPA 88 and wc.
    As I said the anecdote of Menotti, he had rated this irish team to win the EUROCOPA, as a shocking surprise by the time, because they were an enygma for international football

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    No sorry after the republic of Ireland Act. It the republic of Ireland and it ain't Eire or the free state or hibernia
    That old chestnut.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's not the Republic of Ireland. That's the description of the state, not its name. It'd be akin to referring to the French Republic or the German Republic. It's a correct description of the state, but it's not the state name.
    What PS says. And here's the proof -

Number 22 of 1948
    THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND ACT, 1948.
    AN ACT TO REPEAL THE EXECUTIVE AUTHORITY (EXTERNAL RELATIONS) ACT, 1936 , TO DECLARE THAT THE DESCRIPTION OF THE STATE SHALL BE THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND, AND TO ENABLE THE PRESIDENT TO EXERCISE THE EXECUTIVE POWER OR ANY EXECUTIVE FUNCTION OF THE STATE IN OR IN CONNECTION WITH ITS EXTERNAL RELATIONS. [21st December, 1948.]
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE OIREACHTAS AS FOLLOWS:—
    1.—The Executive Authority (External Relations) Act, 1936 (No. 58 of 1936), is hereby repealed.
    2.—It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland.
    3.—The President, on the authority and on the advice of the Government, may exercise the executive power or any executive function of the State in or in connection with its external relations.
    4.—This Act shall come into operation on such day as the Government may by order appoint.
    5.—This Act may be cited as The Republic of Ireland Act, 1948.

And that is it. The entire act. The real thrust of which isn't the second clause - it's the first.

No mention of the People's Republic of Cork. What would Roy say? Clumsy segue, but back on topic!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post

Bielsa is just some 15 year old stoner from Finglas getting a buzz by winding everyone up through a VPN that has tricked Tets into believing his IP originates from Argentina. How would anyone in Argentina know Brady was called chippy? Why would anyone care?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    How would anyone in Argentina know Brady was called chippy?
    Wikipedia
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    None of this has anything to do with Roy Keane, or Liam Brady.
    The team name is Republic of Ireland, and is the name used by FIFA. It is almost always shortened to Ireland in discussions on the forum. The "Republic of" prefix is usually added for clarifications in discussions relating to the Northern Ireland side.
    Nobody refers to it as "Eire", and any further uses of it will be deleted without warning.

Let's all move on.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 03/12/2020 at 12:07 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

27. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Bielsa is just some 15 year old stoner from Finglas getting a buzz by winding everyone up through a VPN that has tricked Tets into believing his IP originates from Argentina. How would anyone in Argentina know Brady was called chippy? Why would anyone care?
    No , Liam Brady was one of my childhood heroes from the Calcio with El Diego and Platini, Gullit, Bruno Conti....sunday morning matches at Sampdoria and Inter, following Diego's devotion of carrer in il calcio italiano.
    There was Rummenigge, Careca, Scirea, Franco Baresi, "uncle" Bergomi......etc

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I dont know how old are you, but you havent any idea what all those players meant to my generation. The only internantional matches that we could see from abroad were the Calcio, or La Liga when Diego was the hype, even at Seville in 92. Then the interantional euros and wc, euro 88 was the first broadcasted for free and the 92 sweden for free on argentina tv. Some odd friendlies, and the cup clubs finals.. Remember when Man U defeated Barcelona with a lovely brace from Mark Leslie Hugues with denis irwin in that team, mcclair, zubi, koeman bakero etc