Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 73 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I actually think he does mean literally sleep outside the house as he quote the Clough story of sleeping in Archie Gemmills house.
    Could you really see Keane going to those kind of lengths for someone though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    remember when Jack Charlton appeared on late late after the season ofter Saipan and he asked what Keane said to Mccarthy and Kenny whispered into his ear like a school snitch? now this spoon will probably lick the hole off Roy tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Nothing too juicy there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why was it pre-recorded? Is it just me or does RK look like a cartoon satan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Presume he needed to be getting back to England to take care of business. Don't see the resemblance really!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    after hearing him yesterday i genuinely think he regrets the whole 2002 wc episode. i really do. some players are their own worst enemies at times and its not until they stop playing that they realise their mistakes
    Then Roy would have said 'don't waste it, like I did'.
    I'd say your thoughts are more what you would like to believe.

Roy says 'don't waste it when you have a good manager'.
    In this context he regrets missing the WC but blames the bad manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post

I think a question that Keane should be asked is this.

If you had a top player in your set up who wanted preferential treatment as in coming in late for games or leave a little early after games, what would you do and how would you approach it.

Secondly if this said player then questioned your authority in relation to the set up of the team and the preperation of the team, and wanted more professional attitude and set up but went mouthing to the press about it, how woud you deal with it.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post

i cant back up what i think but between yesterdays stuff and interviews over the last year or so i have formed an opinion that he regrets it, including his own part in the whole mess at the time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I think a question that Keane should be asked is this.

If you had a top player in your set up who wanted preferential treatment as in coming in late for games or leave a little early after games, what would you do and how would you approach it.

Secondly if this said player then questioned your authority in relation to the set up of the team and the preperation of the team, and wanted more professional attitude and set up but went mouthing to the press about it, how woud you deal with it.

Can I suggest a third question to complete this theme:

If in front of his teammates you accused your captain and a player who never ever gave anything less than 100% when playing for you of feigning injury when you knew he'd never done so.... what response would you expect from that player ? if his response was to call you a liar , would you (a) come clean and acknowlege that you had indeed lied or (B) feign hurt, go to the media and whinge and also demand an apology from that player and banish him from playing for you if the player didn't apologise.

Forthly.... having chosen option (B) on mature reflection would you agree that you exhibted poor management by confronting your player in front of his teammates instead of having a one to one conversation with him amd ensuring that you didn't banish him but maintained a working relationship with him to ensure that your team could compete to its maximum potential or would you still insist that you made the right decision in confronting him in an agressive manner by falsely and knowingly accusing him of 'cheating' in front of his peers to satisfy your own immaturity and inner self doubts....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post

If in front of his teammates you accused your captain and a player who never ever gave anything less than 100% when playing for you of feigning injury when you knew he'd never done so....

Are you serious here???? Are you honestly saying he never missed Ireland games through injuries which seemed to clear up in time for him to play for Man u the following week? Think back now.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hey I agree that Mc Carthy was wrong once it got as far as the meeting. But I think it would be much more interesting to hear Keanes opinions on how to deal with a professional dedicated great player who set high standards that sometimes came across as criticising the manager in public. That is the point I was trying to get across. The two questions I have asked are neither pro or anti Roy Keane or pro or anti Mick Mc Carthy as I think both were at fault for various aspects of it. Just wondering basically how would Roy Keane deal with a smilar player to himself or would that be possible.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Q: Was sneaking off at dawn after the home Iran game without wishing the rest of the team luck or offering words of advice or encouragement behaviour fitting of a team captain?

You could go on and on. On the feigning injury issue, I reckon it was in response to RK's tirade in the first place, not a slowly calculated insult. You know the way, someone insults you, you can't think of a quick retort so you just say something hurtful.

And if there's anyone here who has never suspected MUFC players of missing internationals because of spurious injuries they're naive. How many friendlies has Giggs played for Wales?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post

Are you serious here???? Are you honestly saying he never missed Ireland games through injuries which seemed to clear up in time for him to play for Man u the following week? Think back now.....
    There is a difference to be fair, in feigning injury and missing an Ireland game on the Wednesday and playing for the club on the Saturday.

Did you accuse Aiden Mc Geady and Damien Duff of feigning injury recently when they missed the Italy but both played on the Saturday for their clubs. Steve Finnan did the same recently and Steven Gerrard did it also for England in the recent past.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    There is a difference to be fair, in feigning injury and missing an Ireland game on the Wednesday and playing for the club on the Saturday.

Did you accuse Aiden Mc Geady and Damien Duff of feigning injury recently when they missed the Italy but both played on the Saturday for their clubs. Steve Finnan did the same recently and Steven Gerrard did it also for England in the recent past.
    That's fair enough, point is that it happened regulalry with Roy so for the OP to state that MM knew that RK had never feigned injury is laughable.

You'd swear he was a saint and turned up for everything the way some would have histroy re-written, we won't even get into him not bothering to turn up at the airport or notify anyone that he wasn't coming on a trip where he was captaining the side for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Q: Was sneaking off at dawn after the home Iran game without wishing the rest of the team luck or offering words of advice or encouragement behaviour fitting of a team captain?
    is this theoretical question? if not, how do you know this is how it happened?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    That's fair enough, point is that it happened regulalry with Roy so for the OP to state that MM knew that RK had never feigned injury is laughable.

You'd swear he was a saint and turned up for everything the way some would have histroy re-written, we won't even get into him not bothering to turn up at the airport or notify anyone that he wasn't coming on a trip where he was captaining the side for example.

I think the accusation against Keane for feigning injury for the Iran game is harsh and over the top and I think Stuttgart is right that probably Mick Mc Carthy said it in the heat of the argument, he probably regretted saying it but would not back down on just one point.

Did Keane take liberties with Mc Carthy as the manager, yes he did, was McCarthy right to allow this, it is hard to know.

That is why I think the questions I would ask Keane are along the lines of how would he deal with a player similar to himself, basically a great player and leader on the pitch with some questionable behaviour off the pitch but with a proven ablility to lead teams to victory.

As I said both Mc Carthy and Keane were wrong in Saipan but I think the interest for me in this woudl be how would Keane deal with a smilar player and character to himself. I suppose his comments in relation to Stephen Ireland offer us some sort of insight but how it would pan out in practice is another thing.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Probably just over in Dublin for the day on Wednesday.
    Yeah Ipswich are playing Sunday so he probably does not want to fly in on Wed and then fly back in again on the Friday and fly out Friday night after the show etc.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    Why was it pre-recorded? Is it just me or does RK look like a cartoon satan?
    I do see a slight resemblance with Robert deNiro playing Satan in Angel Heart

"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If what Keane says about that meeting in true then I back Keane and I can't remember reading anyone contradict what he said.

He said he had his temper fully in control as McCarthy ranted about his article and he was letting McCarthy have his say and would pull him aside on his own later on. He said when McCarthy accused him of faking injury he just lost the plot.

Paul McGrath said it was like waving the red flag to a bull.

If Roy didn't start shouting abuse until McCarthy made that accusation then as I said I'd be fully backing Keane. Getting wrongly accused of something makes the blood boil to my head in an instant.

/I was genuinely accused earlier today by a family member of gambling my wages this month. I bet €30 and a huge dental bill has me screwed. My reaction wasn't nice.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 01/05/2009 at 4:15 PM.

Page 15 of 73 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast