Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I was going to disagree but I suppose if Fahey was U21 eligble he'd be in the U21 team quite easily. I think "streets ahead" is an exaggeration but pound-for-pound right now there's not much in it. I expect Garvan to be capped first though.
    Ok poor choice of words, maybe not streets ahead but I definately think he has the edge. I dont think Fahey's international time has passed just yet. I think Fahey at the moment is a better player because hes got that bit of class that can turn any game. I just dont get Ciaran's opinions though about Fahey and Coleman being over rated
    4th official"Dermot, relax with the swearing" .Keely"Ah its grand, he's me son"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Ciaran must simply believe that he is a better judge of a player than Moyes and McLeish.

Thats what it boils down to. Added to the fact that he has probably never seen either player play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    SkStu must think the requirement to get on the national team is less than that of a championship side or the Everton reserves.
    to rephrase.

Ciaran,

James Wallace doesnt qualify for Ireland. I would politely suggest doing some research on such matters prior to posting.

Secondly, please point out where i stated that either player should be in the national team? I simply pointed out that both Moyes and McLeish believed that both these players could make and add to the Everton and Birmingham teams. You seem to think that you are a better judge of a player than both these managers. I beg to differ.

I would also like to point out that every sane "LOI" fan would agree that Coleman and Fahey have made a step up in their careers. The same posters might take issue with the fact that you judge players not on what you see but on what your footballing prejudices perceive. I think that in itself is worthy of the criticism you fairly receive on this site.

*deep breath*

PS - the infraction was well worth it.
    Last edited by SkStu; 23/04/2009 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    One thing I agree with Keane on is his view on Cascarino.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...wich-Town.html
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I expect Garvan to be capped first though.
    Agreeed, Garvan's in the U-21's and played (briefly) against Forest, Trapattoni is at least aware of him. Fahey hasn't even been linked to the squad by the press yet
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think both of them will find it hard to play for Ireland unless Trap changes his system.

The fact that Fahey is playing a wide position for his club gives him a better chance of breaking into the squad IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    to rephrase.

Ciaran,

James Wallace doesnt qualify for Ireland. I would politely suggest doing some research on such matters prior to posting.

Secondly, please point out where i stated that either player should be in the national team? I simply pointed out that both Moyes and McLeish believed that both these players could make and add to the Everton and Birmingham teams. You seem to think that you are a better judge of a player than both these managers. I beg to differ.

I would also like to point out that every sane "LOI" fan would agree that Coleman and Fahey have made a step up in their careers. The same posters might take issue with the fact that you judge players not on what you see but on what your footballing prejudices perceive. I think that in itself is worthy of the criticism you fairly receive on this site.

*deep breath*

PS - the infraction was well worth it.
    Ha Ha Ha I love that people actually get wound up by this Ciaran guy! Ciaran you do sometimes make a tit of yourself but its great that there is a place for you to do that. Everyone else ITS AN INTERNET FORUM stop banging your keyboards and relax or Roy Keane will be making jokes about the forumer who keeled over from a heart attack [COLOR=#008000]www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8pR1rZZHEs . This brings me to my point, what Keane said was a joke, a joke in bad taste yes, but a joke none the less. Has no one on this forum ever made a joke in bad taste?? Popes Death, 9/11 etc. etc..[/COLOR]
    Help something bit me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You don't support a football club just for the players or managers. You support them because you have a connection with the club, the fans, the city and the people. Players and managers come and go.

I've two kids and when they grow up, they'll support Bohs and Sunderland. In 20years time they won't remember Roy Keane but Sunderland A.F.C will still be there for years to come.

If Kevin Hunt, who is my all time hero, took over Limerick F.C tomorrow I'd like to see them doing well for his sake but I won't support them or travel down to see them play or buy the jersey.

I feel sorry for all the Ipswich fans over here pre-Keano because they'll be labelled with the 'new Ipswich fans'. Take it from experience, most people will think Ipswich Town Football Club was founded on Wednesday 22nd of April 2009. That's the way it was with us.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Off Ireland's foremost traitor goes again, insulting people for the hell of it:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...o-1718473.html

This from the man who felt it necessary to have a go at Shay Given for the mortal offence of always being available for Ireland when fit. Classy guy.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post

This from the man who felt it necessary to have a go at Shay Given for the mortal offence of always being available for Ireland when fit. Classy guy.
    Only found out this morning that he was at the Ipswich reserve game on Tuesday sealing the deal while Magilton was still manager, Magilton then took a call informing him of his sacking while visiting his sick mother up the north on Wednesday. Classy indeed.

Cas's response is here.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6159507.ece

Keane

“There has been lots of things said about me over the years. I am happy to comment on people’s opinion in football I respect, but Tony Cascarino is a man I certainly do not respect, for a lot of reasons, and if I told you, you would be shocked. So the day I worry about Tony Cascarino will be a very sad day of my life.”

Why? “It is a very long story. If you ask me about what ex-team-mates have said and tell me one, I will tell you I respect some of them, respect a lot of them. Just not the one you mention.”

Cascarino

“Roy Keane’s got ‘shocking’ information about me? I’d like to know what that is. Tell the world, Roy. I’ve got nothing to hide.

“But I know plenty about you that would shock quite a few people. If Roy’s trying to intimidate me, it won’t work. You can’t bully me, Roy — Keane versus Cascarino is a fight that will go the distance.

"As for him not respecting what I say, I couldn’t give two hoots. I won’t lose a minute’s sleep. It’s funny, I never had a fallout with Roy over a decade as Ireland team-mates, but as soon as I started writing my honest opinion about the way he behaves, he didn’t like it.

“Roy needs to look at his own behaviour, not mine. He needs to ask why rumours spread within the game about why many players at Sunderland weren’t happy while he was in charge there.

“He should look at why he left Sunderland in the lurch, just like he did with Ireland.

“Will the same thing happen at Ipswich?”

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    Its called "dark humor". I really doubt Keane really wishes any real bad will upon Clarke.

Twas funny IMO
    That's about it, good black humor. The blacker the better.
    But it's as Stutts says, he can't take it when it's thrown back at him, or he directs it at people who have stood up to him.

Is Keane going to buy a house there?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Interesting take, as ever, from James Lawton below.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1718479.html

Almost everyone defers to Roy Keane -- even the bookmakers who yesterday installed Ipswich Town as favourites to win the Championship as a reflex reaction to his appointment.

It's a habit of mind, untouched apparently by his shameful exit from Sunderland when the going got tough and is hardly surprising when you consider the meaning of all his years at Old Trafford and his initial impact at the Stadium of Light.

But sometimes you have to separate an aura, however ferociously well established the reputation that has made it, and the reality of performance.

When you do this, Ipswich's reclusive billionaire owner Marcus Evans cannot be said to have invested in a sure thing.

It is the gamble that Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn made when he overrode his own personally -- and painfully -- acquired evidence that Keane's greatest obsession will probably always be himself and his own convenience and saw the wager collapse in a dereliction of commitment and loyalty that still leaves a bitter taste.

The indictment against Keane, however much you recognise his days as arguably the most influential player in the history of the Premier League, and his superb contribution to Ireland's cause right up the moment of ultimate betrayal in Saipan in 2002, is not easily withdrawn as he takes up his duties in the footsteps of the football knights, Alf Ramsey and Bobby Robson -- men who made indelible marks on the history of the club because of their knowledge and, above all else, their understanding that a football club is about rather more than your own sense of importance and destiny.

It is about nurturing the character and the self-belief of your players. It is to do with an understanding of strengths and weaknesses and the best way of developing potential.

It rewards working close with your players, understanding their strengths and their weaknesses. It is about proving to them that you are there for the long haul, for those disappointments and failures which inevitably come before the moments of success.

It is never about quitting when things are going not quite as you hoped -- or when the man who pays your wages, and gives you more or less everything you have ever asked for, demands a little time to talk over his concerns and get a little measure, maybe, of how you are standing up to, say, a humiliating 4-1 thrashing by Bolton Wanderers.

Those of us who had few qualms about predicting a serious managerial future for Keane based our optimism on the sense of the player and the remorseless leadership and influence he exerted on the field for Manchester United, a role that even the all-seeing, all-powerful Alex Ferguson was happy to celebrate.

But then along with that promise was the nag of Saipan, where Keane made the interests of the team he had helped so magnificently to reach the World Cup finals so secondary to his own frustration about how the team was being prepared.

The trouble with the Sunderland episode is that it produced so many echoes of the one in Saipan.

It spoke of a man answerable only to his own moods and whims -- and prejudices. It suggested someone who could make a virtue in his own mind of behaviour which would strike another only as outrageously impulsive and self-involved.

When Sunderland picked up the challenge of survival in the Premier League and fought bravely to a narrow defeat at Old Trafford, Keane's temporary replacement Ricky Sbragia was at pains not to besmirch the name of his departed boss; of course Roy Keane would emerge as a major figure in the game; of course he had the right stuff.

But Sbragia, no doubt necessarily, was less illuminating when asked to explain Keane's role, and the extent to which it had been hands-on. The reality was evident soon enough.

Keane had often been the absent, squire. He had affected some of the style of his one-time mentor Brian Clough, but without the certainty of his effect. There was no insurrection, no pleadings, when Keane made the telephone call that said it was all over.

What was over, precisely? It was the time when Keane could ride with all the glory of of a warrior -- and a winner. A time when no player could look at Keane the manager and doubt his right to make demands on what he perceived to be the limit of available talent.

One wave of Keane's hand to a crowd yearning for success was enough to provoke thousands of dreams. However, that was before the manager submitted himself to the test that has been applied to every manager football has ever known: the test of his nerve and his staying power.

When he left Sunderland, Keane made something of a philosophical statement, albeit one to provoke a string of questions, the most important one concerning his own motivation -- and the sense of what he could do and what he couldn't.

Keane said: "Alex Ferguson comes out and says, 'You never know what he is going to do next.' What did he think I was going to do? Go backpacking around Mexico. I have five kids. Football is in my blood. I'd just had enough at Sunderland. End of bloody story."

No, of course, it wasn't the end of the story -- merely an opening chapter of disquieting implications.

The most serious is that Roy Keane is not a man for all seasons, only those which suit his mood of the moment. It is a luxury he cannot expect now when he comes back to deference that, as a manager, he has not begun to deserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    I feel sorry for all the Ipswich fans over here pre-Keano because they'll be labelled with the 'new Ipswich fans'.
    Why would they care? anybody that knows them would know they were Ipswich fans all along and who cares about people that don't know them. Presumably many of them would be happy with the appointment anyway.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 24/04/2009 at 9:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...ws.asp?n=36426

“I am quite happy to comment on people’s opinions in football I respect, but Cascarino is a man I certainly do not respect, for a lot of reasons, and if I told you, you’d be shocked. The day I worry about Cascarino will be a very sad day in my life.”

Quite intrigued by this...
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauro 76 View Post
    Keane isn't really one for keeping a lid on it so he probably has nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    One thing I agree with Keane on is his view on Cascarino.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...wich-Town.html

Fair play Neil....I can'y believe I am agreeing with you again!!

Cascarino is a ****

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post

Who did he insult there only Cascarino and he has every right to insult Cascarino. Cascarino comes on TV and radio and when talking about Keane he talks about his character and his personality rather than his ability. This from a guy who led a double life on his wife and is involved in the dodgy world of poker where he has turned up to games blindfolded so he does not know where the game is etc and is taken away in a blindfold.

He did not insult anybody else in that interview you link.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I found it hard to disagree with anything in Lawton's article.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauro 76 View Post
    Cascarino is a man I certainly do not respect, for a lot of reasons, and if I told you, you’d be shocked. The day I worry about Cascarino will be a very sad day in my life.”

This will be series 4 episode 1
    Lowest trick in the book, lower than any stunt Cas ever pulled.
    Cas has challenged (the cowardly) Keane to say it all out loud as he has nothing to hide.

This will keep me occupied until The Wire gets going again on the BBC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...245295712.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...245295695.html

I agree with Lawtons article too but I also agree that Keane gives a fair assessment of his managerial career so far. What he says about his on managerial career should be taken into account when looking at what he said about Bruce and Hughes and Ince and Robson. Its not as if he is saying I am great but the other lads have only done ok. Typical newspapers making a headline out nothing.
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 24/04/2009 at 10:24 AM.
    In Trap we trust

Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast