Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    Ya but it's a relatively cheap wkd on the lash, with the excuse of a passing interest in a match involving an Irish owned and managed club. Don't think they'd turned into die hard Sunderland fans. I could be wrong and I'm sure there were some freaks that signed all their loyalties over to the Black Cats, but surely not many.

I don't really mind McCarthy but of course in a lot of cases the manager of a club is going to determine whether you want them to do well or not, especially if it's a club you don't otherwise care about.
    Course they didn't, they'll be following Ipswich next year. Personally I just found it embarrassing and the total opposite of everything that being a football fan should be about.

Fair point about wanting a club to do well because you like their manager but actively going over to see them play regularly is way too much....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14
    Setanta Ireland are screening the press conference live at 6pm although the Ipswich website says the conference is at 4pm.

Fcukin hell like!
    Only waiting for them to tell us what are the bookies odds on him playing for Ireland again.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Rubbish, there was a huge amount of people travelling over nearly every week ffs. I know one of the tour operators running trips and he made a fortune out of it. Plus a massive casual interest from your average Man U fan who went from despising Sunderland when McCarthy was the manager to having them as their 2nd favourite team,

A "paranoid bunch".
    Myself and a few friends headed over there last season on a dirt cheap ryanair flight. It was basically a weekend **** up and the only interests I had in the game was the fact Andy Reid and Daryl Murphy played and I'd a small gamble on it. Newcastle is some spot for nightlife. I see no reason why I should be embarrassed about going to an EPL game as part as a weekend away with the lads.

And I regularly go to Jackman Park to Limerick games to answer your next question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just booked flights to Stanstead. only forty miles from Ipswish Happy Days Come on the Keano.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see how he does at Ipswich.

He won't have the money to spend and there'll be a similar amount of expectation. This job will really show how good he is as a a manager, imo.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I honestly wonder whether he will be able to look back and see the mistakes he made at Sunderland, and see how he should have done some things differently. We imagine all managers do this, and I imagine most will dobut is Keane that kind of reflective character? Will we see a new smarter manager at Ipswich, or will we see the same Keane?
    yeah, that's what I was trying to ask above and what'll interest me next year at Ipswich, in addition to keeping a regular watch on the Irish players at Portman Road.

I think Razor's comment about Steve Bruce was good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    I want Keane and Garvan to do well so by association I want Ipswich to do well. There's not a thing wrong with that.
    can i just ask why is it you want Garvan, the Championship player, to do well yet you dont seem to want Fahey to do well or Coleman for that matter? You consistently put them down.

Why the difference in what you wish for Garvan and Fahey?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I think this is a clever decision by Keane, he was successful at Sunderland, considering he got them promoted and stayed in the division in his first season there. If he does something similar with Ipswich, which is a harder task than the Sunderland job, Keane would be expecting a call from the top teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how he does at Ipswich.

He won't have the money to spend and there'll be a similar amount of expectation. This job will really show how good he is as a a manager, imo.
    By all accounts it sounds like he will have 10 to 15 million to spend! A lot of money IMO, especially in the Championship

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I'm amazed that a Championship club has taken a gamble on him. HIs handling of players at Sunderland, and his walkout would be black marks against him IMO. The following quote sums up how bitter and twisted he is. This was 3 days after Antonio Puerta (Seville) had collapsed and a few hours after he had died.

""On a night we got beaten in the cup by Luton, the staff came in and said, 'Clive Clarke has had a heart attack at Leicester'. I said, 'Is he OK? I'm shocked they found one, you could never tell by the way he plays'."

Thankfully Clarke survived, but never played football again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    "On a night we got beaten in the cup by Luton, the staff came in and said, 'Clive Clarke has had a heart attack at Leicester'. I said, 'Is he OK? I'm shocked they found one, you could never tell by the way he plays'."

It was in very poor taste, and his obvious pride in his joke doesn't speak well of him. There is some context though - Keane felt that Clarke had betrayed him by claiming in public that Keane had lost the dressing room at Sunderland. Doesn't excuse it, of course, but I think it's important not to just leave quotes in a vacuum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm amazed that a Championship club has taken a gamble on him. HIs handling of players at Sunderland, and his walkout would be black marks against him IMO. The following quote sums up how bitter and twisted he is. This was 3 days after Antonio Puerta (Seville) had collapsed and a few hours after he had died.

""On a night we got beaten in the cup by Luton, the staff came in and said, 'Clive Clarke has had a heart attack at Leicester'. I said, 'Is he OK? I'm shocked they found one, you could never tell by the way he plays'."

I thought his quote about Clarke was a disgrace but to bring in the Puerta aspect of it is misleading. He gave the quote this Winter about 2 years after it happened. I am not defending the comment but you trying to make it sound worse than it is.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    You first said Fahey would not get a move from Pat's, you then said he wouldn't play when he did join, he has now become a fan favourite and scored twice, this after a long domestic season. Seriously Ciaran

Also what the hell are you talking about? Fahey ok, he's kinda old, be tough to break into the team but Coleman is our bloody under-21 right back FFS. Do you actually think they put him there for the laugh?

Its absolutely retarded you come on here talking about how none of us know anything outside english league, yet you have this sort of complex when it comes to the league of ireland. you're blinded by sky sports i think. garvan has been playing for ipswich for the last three years with rumours of a move to an english premier division team every so often but nothing comes of it, coleman actually gets the move to a top 6 team in england, coming from a club outside their country(not as obvious to recognise) yet you don't see him as a prospect for the 'forseeable future'. come on like.
    Last edited by irishultra; 23/04/2009 at 8:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I thought his quote about Clarke was a disgrace but to bring in the Puerta aspect of it is misleading. He gave the quote this Winter about 2 years after it happened. I am not defending the comment but you trying to make it sound worse than it is.
    It is a quote. This is what Keane himself is claiming he said about 7 hours after Puerta died.

John83, in Keanes version of events Clarke said that Keane had lost the dressing after this.

"On a night we got beaten in the cup by Luton, the staff came in and said, 'Clive Clarke has had a heart attack at Leicester'. I said, 'Is he OK? I'm shocked they found one, you could never tell by the way he plays'. Clarke later goes and does a piece in some newspaper telling the world that I have lost the dressing room. How does he know? He wasn't there! Clown."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    I never said I didn't want Fahey or Coleman to do well.

I think they're both overrated on this site and I wouldn't consider either of them as international prospects in the foreseeable future. It's not that I don't want them to do well it's that I don't think they'll do well.
    Get a grip Ciaran. Ive lost all respect for you as a poster since the Dave Langan thread. Fahey would walk into any midfield that Garvan was playing in. Dont get me wrong, I think Garvan has the potential to be a class act but Fahey is streets ahead in maturity and skill.

Also you think Coleman is over rated? All you ever seem to do is give LoI players stick. Coleman was one of the most exciting talents in the league, so talented that a top 10 Premiership club have signed him at 19 which is generally 4 years too late for players from here going over.
    4th official"Dermot, relax with the swearing" .Keely"Ah its grand, he's me son"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It was in very poor taste, and his obvious pride in his joke doesn't speak well of him. There is some context though - Keane felt that Clarke had betrayed him by claiming in public that Keane had lost the dressing room at Sunderland. Doesn't excuse it, of course, but I think it's important not to just leave quotes in a vacuum.
    Vacuum or no vacuum, it was a sick joke. It could probably be excused as just an off the cuff unthinking quip if he didn't feel the need to repeat it just to show what a hard case he is. Instead he just demonstrated what an a...hole he is.
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    There is some context though - Keane felt that Clarke had betrayed him by claiming in public that Keane had lost the dressing room at Sunderland.
    That's how Keane described it in the Times interview. What Clarke actually said was that all Keane did to motivate the squad was to shout at them.

Regardless, what the whole thing suggests to me is that Keane can't take the digs he likes to give out.

Weldoninho has a point. I think Keane is going to have to show more respect for his employers, for the people who pay substantial amounts of their money for taking a calculated risk on employing him. Can he do this for any period of time?

There have been plenty of great footballers who haven't cut it as managers and plenty of not-so-great players who have become great managers. Keane would do well to recognise that he is now Roy Keane, young manager not Roy Keane ex-great player. I think it''ll be interesting to see if the penny drops.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
    I think Garvan has the potential to be a class act but Fahey is streets ahead in maturity and skill.
    I was going to disagree but I suppose if Fahey was U21 eligble he'd be in the U21 team quite easily. I think "streets ahead" is an exaggeration but pound-for-pound right now there's not much in it. I expect Garvan to be capped first though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbod View Post
    It could probably be excused as just an off the cuff unthinking quip
    Between them I don't think Keane & Humphries can do anything that's not calculated to some degree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Its called "dark humor". I really doubt Keane really wishes any real bad will upon Clarke.

Twas funny IMO

Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast