Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 48 of 73 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Cork's Life 93.1fm??? I smell a rat, never heard of that station! That's around the Radio na Gaeltachta mark isnt it, wudnt have thought Roy to be the Gaelgoir sort but wonders never cease to amaze me. Or perhaps I've been away from my beloved home county too long. . . .

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Any link for that interview?
    This one is close enough
    seeing as The Fly ain't around

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Have to say I agree with Keane 100%. You only have to look at threads on this forum to see how embarrassing we have become.
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Roy having a pot at Shay and Robbie.
    Yes, and ar their "friends in the media", though if some media quarters are anything to go by, I'd hate to see Robbie's enemies. Still, at least their so-called media friends aren't alleged paedophiles like Keano's best mate in the press.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 10/05/2011 at 9:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Don't agree with Roy Keane at all. I'd doubt the FAI do either.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 10/05/2011 at 9:18 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    Have to say I agree with Keane 100%. You only have to look at threads on this forum to see how embarrassing we have become.
    I prefer to look at the actual team, or squad, rather than threads. I reckon we have no more "anglos" now than we ever have. If you want to call the likes of Gibson & McGeady "career progressors" then we'll have to disagree.

In my opinion our strongest XI is:

Given
    Foley-Dunne-O'Shea-AN Other
    McGeady-Whelan-Fahey or Gibson-Duff
    Keane--Doyle

9 out of 10 born in Ireland. I haven't bothered with a left back, but anyone questioning KK's Irishness is a tool.

On the bench: Hunt, Long, Best (Irish mother & spent childhood in Ireland), Clark (both parents Irish), Stokes, O'Dea, McCarthy, Walters (Irish mother?), Kelly. I don't think any of these is "embarrassing", nor is Paul Green really. It's more embarrasing when the press & posters here get in a hissy fit when grandkids of Irishmen don't get called up.

Keane could maybe have some justification wrt Westwood, Lawrence, St. Leger, Folan and Cox - only one of whom is a likely starter in anyone's first XI and two of whom wouldn't even make the squad if others are fit.

The likes of O'Hara, Noble and Pennant would be embarrassing alright. How many of these have even declared? None.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 10/05/2011 at 9:30 PM.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I think Keane is making a big deal out of something that is no more of a "problem" than it was when Jack Charlton was in charge or when Keane himself was playing for Ireland under McCarthy and Kerr. We've always had English or Scottish-born players in our squads and it's never diluted the sense of national pride fans have had in the team.

There is certainly no new "development" here, nor is there any indication whatsoever that it'll come to a point where we have to play "spot-the-Irishman". Out of our current 32-man squad for the Carling Nations Cup games, 23 are Irish-born, 4 are born to at least one Irish parent (making them Irish nationals from birth) and 5 are born to at least one Irish grandparent, including James McCarthy whose family very much consider themselves Irish. Compare this to our squad for the 1994 World Cup, for example, where 7 of the 22-man squad were born in Ireland. 6 of our World Cup 1990 squad were Irish-born. Our 2002 World Cup squad had 12 Irish-born players out of the 23. For anyone worried about a dilution of identity or something, things have never been so good. It's not even a uniquely Irish phenomenon where our squads regularly feature players born beyond our shores. In fact, it could be argued that our squads featuring significant numbers of members of the Irish diaspora is very much in line with what Irish identity is; emigration having had such an impact on our history as a nation.

Who's Keane referring to when he says: "They are saying – I probably can’t get capped for another country so I’ll pick Ireland. Players have said that. I know they have."

Jermaine Pennant, who isn't even in our squad?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I don't think a lot of people appreciate how strong the diaspora still identify with Ireland, especially in Scotland. Many see themselves as Irish first, Scottish second, even in the third generation.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    According to google 93.1fm is a Christian chanell. Is Roy born again?g
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I don't think a lot of people appreciate how strong the diaspora still identify with Ireland, especially in Scotland. Many see themselves as Irish first, Scottish second, even in the third generation.
    As has been highlighted, you'd be a fool to question the Irishness of the likes of McCarthy, McGeady, Clark and Kilbane.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    It's been said before and I'll say it again. Whatever we thought of RMK as a player, those were his best days, and what he says now has no more credence than the average person in Patrick Street.

If he ever becomes a serious manager, then we might take him seriously....

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just listening to the interview at the minute. The part relevant to the discussion above begins around the half-an-hour mark and then again around 38 minutes. It continues for the full hour, but haven't gotten that far yet.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Well it's early for you Danny, but should you feel the urge to do so, I'm sure it'll prove the ideal cure for any insomnia issues....

21. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    So does Keane think that any of his children born in England should not be eligible to play for Ireland? Did anyone ask him that?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I can get a live stream of the station, fanatic religious stuff,
    but can't get any of those podcasts to open up and play

This page opens to the podcast library
    Jesus was a Corkman
    and Roy's interview in in 'recent articles' from the 'Last 7 days'
    and the link to Roy 's interview is the same as given by Fixer.
    But Roy is blanking us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Still, at least their so-called media friends aren't alleged paedophiles like Keano's best mate in the press.
    Jesus Stutts, leave the elephant in the corner!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    At the beginning of the interview, Keane pays a bit of lip-service to the idea that Dublin-based players were favoured treatment-wise and selection-wise over players from Cork and the rest of the country in his time. Is this just a persecution complex of sorts? He doesn't exactly claim things are still like that, as he wouldn't be in a position to judge nowadays, but I know Stephen Ireland made similar claims about the FAI. Was he just taking the hump that he hadn't the red carpet rolled out for him? Isn't it entirely possible that Irish teams might just feature more Dublin players than players from elsewhere for the very obvious reason that football is a largely urban game in Ireland and Dublin is our primary and capital city, home to about a fifth of the island's population? It would be peculiar if our teams didn't feature a significant Dublin contingent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    So does Keane think that any of his children born in England should not be eligible to play for Ireland? Did anyone ask him that?
    That's an interesting proposition. I'm not sure anyone other than the individual player concerned is in any position to judge whether they are Irish or "English through and through". Unless it becomes obvious by their utterances that they have always felt very English and are hopping on the Irish bandwagon not because it offers them a chance to play for Ireland but because it offers them a last-gasp chance to add international football to their CV. Still, it generally seems rather crude and insensitive to start making judgments as to who is "really Irish" and who isn't based on what can only be arbitrary preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    This page opens to the podcast library
    Jesus was a Corkman
    I could believe it for Joe and Mary, but some of the stuff they come out with...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    At the beginning of the interview, Keane pays a bit of lip-service to the idea that Dublin-based players were favoured treatment-wise and selection-wise over players from Cork and the rest of the country in his time. Is this just a persecution complex of sorts? He doesn't exactly claim things are still like that, as he wouldn't be in a position to judge nowadays, but I know Stephen Ireland made similar claims about the FAI. Was he just taking the hump that he hadn't the red carpet rolled out for him? Isn't it entirely possible that Irish teams might just feature more Dublin players than players from elsewhere for the very obvious reason that football is a largely urban game in Ireland and Dublin is our primary and capital city, home to about a fifth of the island's population? It would be peculiar if our teams didn't feature a significant Dublin contingent.
    Stephen Hunt was asked about this on Setanta a few weeks ago and he said that while the Dublin-based players were favoured by international selectors at underage level, they were generally further ahead in their development and it all evened out as they moved up the age grades.

Page 48 of 73 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast