Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 47 of 73 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Roy Keane has been linked strongly with Melbourne Victory, who play in the A League over here. The standard is pretty average, (that well known thug Kevin Muscat plays for them, but is retiring). I don't know how well he will cope with mediocre players, but the media will love his grumpy persona and will certainly rise him with the inane questions that Aussie journalists love to ask. In summary, if this happens it will end in tears!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/so...-1226035062847

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    If it happens it will end with him managing the Socceroos and drinking lots of Fosters.
    I can just see him throwing a boomerang, forgetting about it, then getting decapitated.
    Last edited by Crosby87; 07/04/2011 at 12:04 AM.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

3. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    I can't see him going to the A-League. Are all of the players there even full time professionals?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The A-League is professional and I think some of the regional leagues. Keane could get a job in the top two tiers of English football tomorrow if he snapped his fingers and he'd never drag his family to the other side of the world. It's a non-runner.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    The A League is professional with about 10 teams in it. In terms of standard, Jason Gavin and Liam Kearney have failed to make the step up from regional leagues to the A League itself. While the story may be untrue, it is certainly big news over here. As regards Keane, I completely disagree with the statement that Keane just has to click his fingers to get a job in the Championship. Keane's transfer policy and subsequent failure to get the best out of his buys as well as lack of relationship with players and the boards of clubs has become too apparent for many to consider him as a manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    he's not a total write off as a manager, he is just not as good as he thought he would be.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    He could possibly be the next Bryan Robson or Graham Souness. To use the John Daly golf analogy, he could have more clubs than most and have nothing to show for it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    John Daly's pants are far better than Roy's will ever be though Gastric.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    he's not a total write off as a manager, he is just not as good as he thought he would be.
    Has Keane publicly stated how good he thought he'd be as a manager?

I think he'll come good personally, though lots of room for improvement thats for sure!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    He could possibly be the next Bryan Robson or Graham Souness. To use the John Daly golf analogy, he could have more clubs than most and have nothing to show for it!
    John Daly has a few majors to his name lad!
    And Keano will manage Celtic some day, nothing surer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    What have Celtic done to deserve that? .............Australia its not far enough!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    John Daly has a few majors to his name lad!
    And Keano will manage Celtic some day, nothing surer!
    Just to be pedantic, the comparison of Daly with Keane is just and correct. Daly won his two majors in 1991 and 1995- at the start of his career. Keane 's managerial campaign also started with some success - promotion and keeping Sunderland in the Premiership. Daly has not done much since, either has Keane - hence the wonderful comparison!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Has Keane publicly stated how good he thought he'd be as a manager?
    nope. But you just know he thought he was as good as Fergie.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Away in Australia he'll have a bit of peace, though you can be sure there will be a rush of Victory jerseys on sale in Ireland, RTE and other outlets starting with "Roy Keane's Melbourne Victory...." and unless he a) hits the bottle or b) hits someone with a bottle, he should do well enough to rehabilitate his name, reputation and enthusiasm for the game. He'll come back and take over from Trappatoni.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    http://www.joe.ie/football/internati...rish-0012089-1

Roy Keane has launched a scathing rant at the increasing number of ‘plastic paddies’ on the Irish international soccer team.

English-born players with Irish roots such as Simon Cox and Paul Green have recently declared for the Republic, while the prospect of the likes of Jermaine Pennant, Jamie O’Hara and Mark Noble pulling on the green jersey has also been mooted in recent months.

It is something that has upset many a dyed in the wool follower of the Boys in Green, and although it would be a stretch to put Roy Keane in that category, the former Ireland captain has spoken of his dismay at a development that he feels will dilute the sense of national pride that comes with playing for one’s country.

Speaking to Cork’s Life 93.1 FM, rent-a-quote Keane said: “Eventually it’s going to be spot the Irishman on the pitch. I know we have to be open minded over which players are eligible to play for Ireland, but now it’s getting a bit silly. Every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to be claiming to be Irish.”

Keane is more qualified than most to talk about what is becoming a delicate situation considering that he played with a number of British-born players, such as Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton and (cough) Tony Cascarino during his international career, but he feels that in his time, players really wanted to play for Ireland, whereas now it is considered a good career move.

“I know years ago we got stick – people saying it was the England B team,” Keane added. "But I think there were a lot of lads playing for Ireland or who are in the squad who to me are English through and through. They are saying – I probably can’t get capped for another country so I’ll pick Ireland. Players have said that. I know they have. And that’s not the right way to go about things either.”

Since retiring as a player, Keane has become something of a cranky and disillusioned figure and his rants about the game and particularly the Irish team have become commonplace. Not surprisingly, he didn’t resist the opportunity to stick the boot into the current squad and returned to a favourite theme of his, the lack of impact by the senior players in the Ireland squad, who according to Keane, are talking the talk but not walking the walk.

“I just think more can come from certain players. So-called senior players – you guarantee a week before international matches they are doing a lot of talking, but not too much working. The mentality with certain players is not good enough. And that is why they are playing for the clubs they are. I said that, I think, pre-World Cup 2002 and I’m saying that now. The so-called big hitters in the Irish team to me now aren’t big hitters. They are not even in their club teams. But they obviously have probably certain pals in the media and they deflect that a little bit.”
    Last edited by The Fly; 10/05/2011 at 5:37 PM.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Agree with him to a certain degree. I don't think anybody minds a few decent players claiming for Ireland if we are stuck but a lot seem to be doing it now to either make a name for themselves or becuase they can't make England. A lot of very average to poor players getting chances to play international football with us these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    This comment on Greenscene made me laugh:

"Elsewhere in the interview Keane also expressed controversial views on the US raid on Bin Laden’s compound, Irelands possible IMF bailout rate adjustment and several other issues that were none of his ****ing business."

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well Roy part of the problem is people born in Ireland who refuse to play for their country because they put their own selfish interests first!!

I'd rather a plastic paddy than a proper shirker!!

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Roy having a pot at Shay and Robbie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Any link for that interview?