Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 39 of 73 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's a good point Drumcondra, however each Manager wants to mould the team in his own image and from what I saw last season and this there isn't a whole lot of grit in the side, or at least they try to play too much football. I reckon he'll turn it around and he'll have the side back in the top flight in a couple of years.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I've read Ferguson say that by April, Man Utd's training consists of light ball work - they have played and have to play so many games that there's no point doing any fitness training. Keane never walked out of that. But, hey, maybe those guys have no idea how to prepare for a league title run-in and the later stages of the Champions League.
    Yeah man thats obvious but rest as in not kicking a ball AT ALL!!!???
    Not all footballers love playing golf every day

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    In fairness to Mick McCarthy, the players all had a long hard season and he was facing into a competition where they would have to play at least 3 tough competitive games in two weeks and possibly more games. If the players had niggly injuries, etc, rest was the best thing for them. And it would be better to get the p*ss-ups out of the way in Saipan, than during the actual world cup.

Keane was wrong imo. Players need downtime as much as everyone else. Ya can't expect them to be training all the time. I don't think training or not in Saipan would have made one ounce of difference to Ireland's performance at the WC.

As for Keane, you can't judge any manager after 10 games in charge. Give him at least a whole season and then decide if he is up to it or not. Some managers make great starts and then end up being useless. Some managers make bad starts but over time prove themselves. It took at least 3 years before Man Utd were a decent team under Alex Ferguson. It took him those 3 years to get rid of the drink culture at Man Utd and underperforming players, and build a new team and get them to gel together. Imagine if those fans and pundits who wanted Ferguson fired in his first few years got their way?
    Last edited by Emmet7; 26/10/2009 at 12:25 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    If Stan Staunton were getting the results Roy is getting then he would be getting some stick on here !

"Retreating to a safe distance as I expect a bombardment for that remark"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If Stan Staunton were getting the results Roy is getting then he would be getting some stick on here !

"Retreating to a safe distance as I expect a bombardment for that remark"
    Why ?
    It's true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desyf View Post
    Why ?
    It's true.

Its not true.I think drawing away to Sheff Utd and Plymouth as manager of Ipswich is not comparable with losing 5-2 away to Cyprus as manager of Ireland - get real

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Well playing league football for 3 months and failing to win even one game, is a dreadful record and just as bad as Stan achieved with Ireland. Keane is a failure
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    According to the Mirror, Peter Taylor is to be appointed as his number 2. I wonder is that a Keane appointment or from above. I suppose he has a bit of experience especially as a coach .. but his record is not exactly great ... made a bit of a haims of the Leicester job when he took over after Martin O Neill.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    Its not true.I think drawing away to Sheff Utd and Plymouth as manager of Ipswich is not comparable with losing 5-2 away to Cyprus as manager of Ireland - get real
    That's 2 results! Not managing to win a home match in the league over 7 games by the end of October is not comparable with beating Wales and Slovakia and drawing with the Czech Reublic and Germany. There's no escaping the fact that Keane's been a disaster this season so far, anyone in denial of that is embarrassing themselves.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    The new Ipswich owner is an arms dealer billionaire. I don't think he's worried about a few thousand supporters staying away from a handful of matches.
    What he should be worried about is his club slipping into League 1. (People on here will point out that Keane said he'd get Ipswich out the Championship in a year)

He'll leave Ipswich in a mess like he did with us and let someone else sort it out. And que his full range of excuses. "Promises were broken", "The players went behind my back", "There was interference from the outside", etc.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macdermesser View Post
    According to the Mirror, Peter Taylor is to be appointed as his number 2. I wonder is that a Keane appointment or from above. I suppose he has a bit of experience especially as a coach .. but his record is not exactly great ... made a bit of a haims of the Leicester job when he took over after Martin O Neill.
    If this is true then it has to be worth a go.

There is definitely something wrong with the "Keane management team" whether its just Keane himself or not is a good question though.

Taylor was a great coach of the England under21s but has had mixed fortunes as a manager.

Maybe Taylor may be better as just a coach.

I hope it works out as I would like any Irishman to do well as a manager.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    I have never been a big Keane fan but I respect him on football and his knowledge. Getting Sunderland from bottom of the table to top of the Championship, well has any other manager every done that, and I don't mean after the first round of games but after 6 rounds of games. It was a great achievement.

Likewise at Ipswich you have people writing Keane off. But if Ipswich jump up the table and are in contention for the Premiership, some of the people writing him off will be wearing Ipswich jerseys and telling everyone how they always believed in Keane, just as with Sunderland. When they hit a bad patch the same fans will be writing him off again and calling for his head.
    He did what was expected of him. We weren't bottom when Keane took over. We were 3rd bottom after 5 games. Quinn got his only win the day before Keane took over. He did a good job getting Sunderland up but after that he did a poor job. £50m to keep a team up by the skin of its teeth.

Peter Reid, Iain Dowie, Kevin Keegan, Steve Bruce, Phil Brown and Billy Davies did similar jobs with championship clubs. So its do-able.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    That's 2 results! Not managing to win a home match in the league over 7 games by the end of October is not comparable with beating Wales and Slovakia and drawing with the Czech Reublic and Germany. There's no escaping the fact that Keane's been a disaster this season so far, anyone in denial of that is embarrassing themselves.
    Ok, its been a disaster so far this season, but to compare him to that idiot Staunton as a manager is ludicrous.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Ok, its been a disaster so far this season, but to compare him to that idiot Staunton as a manager is ludicrous.
    The original point made was that if Staunton was having a run of results like Keane is having he'd be getting slaughtered on here. That's undoubtedly true.

How you can disagree with that is what's ludicrous. Think about it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Who is being ludicrous?
    You are asking the impossible, Den is not a thinker.
    Context is an alien concept to him.
    An argument to him, means expressing an endless loop of scattered uncoordinated reactions, garnered together from the fringes of emotional impressions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Ipswich Town FC, with its squad of players and its resources should not be bottom of the Championship and without a win. FACT.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Roy Keane's spending in bringing Sunderland to the Premiership was a Championship equivalent of what Chelsea spent in the Premiership. This has to be taken into consideration when lauding that "achievement".

He was then stuck with a lot of players not of Premiership quality who he paid over the odds for and he failed again in football.

I am so sick of the Keanophile media following his every move that I hope he does lose his job soon. I really don't care about Ipswich otherwise!

I do have an interest in Sunderland beacuse the chairman is a gentleman and an Irish legend (and also because of Andy Reid).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Who is being ludicrous?
    You are asking the impossible, Den is not a thinker.
    Context is an alien concept to him.
    An argument to him, means expressing an endless loop of scattered uncoordinated reactions, garnered together from the fringes of emotional impressions.

Can you please explain your reasons for your idiotic rant above? I think "context" may be a concept that is alien to you
    Last edited by Den Perry; 27/10/2009 at 12:28 PM.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    The good old "staunton is an idiot" reply......getting a bit sick of hearing that to be honest

Stan had a shocker as a manager of ireland ....but he had ZERO experience as a manager

Roy has experience as a manager in the championship already as well as the prem. Now dont get me wrong i realise that his experience is a couple of seasons old but its enough experience to allow ipswich a better record than 0 wins, 8 draws and 6 loses out of 14 league games considering he has been given cash to spend and that jim magilton had somewhat of a settled side pre roys arrival

I hope roy turns things round -cos the more irish managers the better ...but the staunton comparison is non - sensical imo considering one was a failed international manager with zero previous intl or club management experience and the other is a currently a club manager who has previous management experience and has been given transfer funds to boost his team.

This is not an anti roy point - all i am saying i just dont see the point in comparing the 2
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    The good old "staunton is an idiot" reply......getting a bit sick of hearing that to be honest

Stan had a shocker as a manager of ireland ....but he had ZERO experience as a manager

Roy has experience as a manager in the championship already as well as the prem. Now dont get me wrong i realise that his experience is a couple of seasons old but its enough experience to allow ipswich a better record than 0 wins, 8 draws and 6 loses out of 14 league games considering he has been given cash to spend and that jim magilton had somewhat of a settled side pre roys arrival

I hope roy turns things round -cos the more irish managers the better ...but the staunton comparison is non - sensical imo considering one was a failed international manager with zero previous intl or club management experience and the other is a currently a club manager who has previous management experience and has been given transfer funds to boost his team.

This is not an anti roy point - all i am saying i just dont see the point in comparing the 2
    I am not one of the "Roy can't do anything wrong brigade". That said I do like him and have a lot more regard for him than Staunton.The Staunton comparison is non-sensical, however, that's why I had to respond.
    Last edited by Den Perry; 27/10/2009 at 12:48 PM.

Page 39 of 73 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast