Page 19 of 73 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis The Red View Post
    What the f has Daniel Agger got to do with Roy Keane's friends???
    Oops I thought those aertel pages were scribed in stone somewhere for all time.

Me stoopid please don't tell Roy Keane !

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Again though Keane stressed last night the reason he lost the plot in Saipan was being accused of faking injury.
    Truth hurts. I remember thinking it at the time as well. I also remember an interview with him after the game and Keane smirked as he said "The lads didn't need me".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I know exactly which game he meant. He's wrong though, if he had taken the time to read the post that he's quoted he would realise that clearly the game mentioned was the 1994 World Cup game.

The Holland game which we drew 2-2 took place on September 2, 2000.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10.named our best player in 94 world cup playing every game

11.and in typical keane fashion refused to celabrate as he saw the defeat to holland as disapointment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learn how to read!
    Nah I read it and his points are jumping from year to year not necessarily in chronological order. Think it's arguable that he's talking about the game in Amsterdam given the emphasis at the time that was put by the keane disiples that he was fantastic because he wasn't happy with a draw and Mick was. Maybe he was talking about 94, if so I would expect most of the players should have been disappointed. Still, i'm not going to say that they shouldn't be entitled to celebrate getting to the knock-out stages of the world cup and I don't think Keane is great because he decided not to join them.
    Le monde est a nous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lads Duff and McGeady did the same thing against Italy. They both missed the Italy game and then played on The Saturday. Is Trap going to accuse them of feigning injury. Are the Irish fans going to accuse them of feigning injury and by Owls Fans logic if you get annoyed or mad by insult you are then guilty. I am glad they do not use this logic in the courts.
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 03/05/2009 at 12:28 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    No kidding. Roy Keane was the perfect example of professionalism and dedication. I can't believe some "supporters" who claim to know football can't understand this. I was on a mickey mouse pub team a few years back. I totally understand where Roy was coming from. Sometimes standing up for your principles is more important than winning a football tournament.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Nah I read it and his points are jumping from year to year not necessarily in chronological order. Think it's arguable that he's talking about the game in Amsterdam given the emphasis at the time that was put by the keane disiples that he was fantastic because he wasn't happy with a draw and Mick was. Maybe he was talking about 94, if so I would expect most of the players should have been disappointed. Still, i'm not going to say that they shouldn't be entitled to celebrate getting to the knock-out stages of the world cup and I don't think Keane is great because he decided not to join them.
    could have been the "party" in pheonix park after - which was cringeworthy stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    No kidding. Roy Keane was the perfect example of professionalism and dedication. I can't believe some "supporters" who claim to know football can't understand this. I was on a mickey mouse pub team a few years back. I totally understand where Roy was coming from. Sometimes standing up for your principles is more important than winning a football tournament.
    Don't think Ive ever bothered to comment on the Keane saga before but when talking about WC2002 when the Irish team played the best football of any team of a generation (include charltons) to qualify out of an incredibly tough group-to get to that WC (which might not happen again for a long long time) and hear someone say

"Sometimes standing up for your principles is more important than winning a football tournament".

Utter bol1ox. He should have kept his god dam mouth shut till after the tournament.
    I

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy View Post
    More than likely referring to the game in Amsterdam that we only drew 2-2 after being two up. Great performance that night but Keane was right we threw it away. Will never forget Kilbane's miss that would have put it to bed. If only!
    Yeah, it'd have been 3-1 straight after they scored their first.

I can see Keane's disappointment in that agme alright, but the other side of the coin is that we had a threadbare bench - nobody fit could come on and the starting XI were knackered. Harte was asleep at the back post for Holland's first. Their equaliser was a poxy deflection off Carr and in the last minute the rookie Richard Dunne made the tackle of his life on Kluivert to save a certain victory for the Dutch. I was happy when the final whistle went & McCarthy was well within his rights to congratulate a young team on a good away result when the pundits expected a thrashing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    Don't think Ive ever bothered to comment on the Keane saga before but when talking about WC2002 when the Irish team played the best football of any team of a generation (include charltons) to qualify out of an incredibly tough group-to get to that WC (which might not happen again for a long long time) and hear someone say

"Sometimes standing up for your principles is more important than winning a football tournament".

Utter bol1ox. He should have kept his god dam mouth shut till after the tournament.
    Gets to the crux of the matter re Saipan. Its easy to get bogged down in the rights and wrongs of what transpired between McCarthy and Keane on the lead up to his exit. Neither behaved admirably.

The salient point is - No matter how much of an affront suffered and how justified he thought he was in walking - Keane should have stayed on and played.

That would have involved integrity, loyalty and a level of self-lessness that a real leader possesses.

A real shame - as much for Keane himself as anyone else.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    I can't believe some "supporters" who claim to know football can't understand this. I was on a mickey mouse pub team a few years back. I totally understand where Roy was coming from. Sometimes standing up for your principles is more important than winning a football tournament.

wat a pile of utter sh*te!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I always thought Roy was overrated as a player. He was good but people went over the top with him always.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    just have to disagree - whatever about the rights and wrongs of Saipan, his ability or lack of as a manager or whether or not he is a nice guy or a raving lunatic, the one thing I can say with certainty is that he was a great player. Truly world class. If anything, in my opinion, he was underrated as a player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    just have to disagree - whatever about the rights and wrongs of Saipan, his ability or lack of as a manager or whether or not he is a nice guy or a raving lunatic, the one thing I can say with certainty is that he was a great player. Truly world class. If anything, in my opinion, he was underrated as a player.
    I have to disagree. He couldn't be given any more acclaim. But throughout his career there were always better players around in his position. Doesn't fit into my definition of world class.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danonion View Post
    I have to disagree. He couldn't be given any more acclaim. But throughout his career there were always better players around in his position. Doesn't fit into my definition of world class.
    What is your definition of World Class?

Do you support any English team? edit- It's ok I see from one of your previous posts that you hate United, I assume it's a factor when your assessing Keane, although I'm sure you will claim otherwise.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 05/05/2009 at 5:30 PM. Reason: further research!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I always thought that Keane was a very good player, but definitely a little bit over-rated. I don't blame him or the fans for this, but he was playing at a time when the "Super Duper Premiership on Sky" was being forced upon us and every half decent player in the Prem was being hyped up beyond their or anyones abilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I always thought Roy was overrated as a player. He was good but people went over the top with him always.
    I have no time for Roy Keane as a man, nor do I think he contributed anywhere near as much to the green jersey as he should have, but as a footballer he was class, up there with the best of his generation.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Roy Keane is "the perfect human being"

Eamonn Dunphy

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    now that is just complete rubbish.... Im actually shaking my head in disbelieve of that opinion. I can understand peoples opinions of his personality to a certain extent but to question the man as a player shows a complete lack of any sort of football knowledge.... or just a wind up
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I thought he was unjustly left out of many UEFA player of the year polls. etc. He didn't have the television friendly finesse that others had but he did the simple things brilliantly and consistently. He wasn't superbly talented but was amazingly influential in a game, he could just get a grip on it like probably only Vieira could of his era.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I lost real interest in what a player does for his club a long time ago.

We didn't have a great squad for the WC 2002 qualifiers, but he made the difference to make us a very good team. Probably at his peak, both in terms of respect from the fans and influence on the pitch. Portugal away, is a game I could watch again and again.
    With Keane, at least no one was going to fxck with us at the WCF.

Pity about the

Page 19 of 73 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast