Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    the fact that this happened in a routine inocuous challenge, is there the chance it could happen again or something similar?! Thats the worry i have, perhaps he is weak in this area or something.
    As Serb says, it was a freak injury that could have happened to anyone. I'd say that if the doctors felt he had an unusual weakness that would leave him more susceptible to similar injury, he wouldn't be allowed to train so early after the incident or even allowed to play again. It's amazing that he could be training so soon though. That must be a major psychological boost for the lad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Duffy's Second Chance
    Shane Duffy believes he has been given a ‘second chance’ after a horrific training accident nearly ended his life.

Two months ago, a collision in a practice game with the Republic of Ireland national team left the young centre-back fighting for his life after rupturing the hepatic artery close to his liver.

Doctors discovered almost two thirds of his entire blood supply had leaked into Duffy’s abdomen, and if it wasn’t for the quick actions of the Ireland medical team on site who rushed him urgently to hospital, it could have been a completely different scenario.
    Eternally in debt to the medics who helped him, Duffy truly believes he has been given another go at life and is thoroughly determined to make the most of it at Everton.
    “I can't thank them enough,” Duffy told evertontv. “I've thanked them so many times and I'll thank them again for being so good at their jobs and saving me. I'm so happy. I appreciate everything they've done for me.
    “It's made me realise how important it is now to get a second chance at it. I can't describe it, that I'm still here. I'm just so happy.
    “It’s hard to tell people what it feels like because no one else knows I nearly died. So I just have to live life now, and don't take anything for granted."
    Duffy said he was in complete shock when he was informed of the procedure medical staff had to perform to save him.

“When I woke up about two days later they told me everything that they did and what happened,” he continued. “It was a weird thing. When it happened, I tried to get up straight away and the pain was just so sore, and then the doctor came on and I just said I couldn't breathe - he saw I couldn't breathe - and then he took me off.
    “When I was in the ambulance I was just getting sharp, sharp pains in my chest so that just made it worse and I couldn't drink anything. I just blanked out from there, then I woke up and it was all done. From that moment in the ambulance, I just collapsed.”
    Initially Duffy was told it would be six months before he could return to the pitch, but remarkably, the 18-year-old is back in light training just eight weeks after the incident.
    “When the surgeon said to me at the start when I asked how long I would be and they said I should be back at Christmas,” Duffy continued. “But I'm just surprised that I'm able to run, do weights and do sit-ups now - it's so close.
    “When I heard it would be Christmas I was gutted but I was just happy, so happy to still be here. It's just so good to be back and running. The last couple of weeks have been brilliant - getting back to training. I feel good now, and I can't wait to get back.”
    The defender admitted he didn’t realise the seriousness of his surgery until the surgeons explained exactly what happened. And it was further reiterated when he saw the 10-inch ‘L’ shaped scar on his chest for the first time.
    “I was just in shock to be fair because I didn't think it was serious when it happened,” Duffy added. “I thought it was maybe a cracked rib or something because of the sharp pain. But when I woke up and everyone was there - it was a bit crazy.
    “I didn't see the scar for about two weeks because it was all wrapped up and then I saw it when the staples came out. It was frightening.”
    Duffy will continue daily fitness work under supervision of Everton’s medical staff until he is able to join in full training with his team mates in approximately four to six weeks.

If anyone has EvertonTV, there is an interview with Duffy, but at present there is a preview of the interview to the right of the Everton homepage.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Great to hear he's well and truly on the road to recovery. Unbelievable to think they originally thought he would only be back by Christmas but he's rejoining full training in 4-6 weeks. The guy obviously has a fantastic level of spirit and commitment. Hope things continue to go well for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    From the brink of death to light training in the span of two months. Incredible stuff really. The lad's a gladiator.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Best wishes to the lad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Duffy Returns to Reserve Ranks

Shane Duffy is included in the Everton Reserves squad for today's pre-season friendly with Sligo Rovers - just 10 weeks after suffering a life-threatening injury.
    The Derry-born defender has made a remarkable recovery after undergoing life-saving emergency surgery in May following a freak collision during a training session on his first get-together with the Republic of Ireland senior squad.
    Duffy is joined by fellow Irishman Seamus Coleman, who will be returning to his former club for the first time since switching to Everton in February 2009.

Any Sligo/Everton fans going to this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Tickets still available and will be on sale at the ground tonight if any of ye want to head along and see him and Seamie in action. Kick off 7pm.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Good Luck to all concerned. And pleased for Sligo and their 'glamour' friendly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    If it wasn't a friendly, Duffy would have been sent off tonight.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    No psychological trauma then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    What happened? Says on the Everton match report that Duffy shoved Ryan to the ground after a tackle. It seems like he had a busy enough game from the report, making blocks in his own box and forcing saves at the other. Was there a good crowd?

Everton match report

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Shane Duffy declared eligible for the Republic of Ireland

Good news for the kid. It only took about 7 months...

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    When I opened your post, I read declared ineligible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Ha, now that would be a shocking headline!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    They should call him into the U21 squad but keep it low key. Just get him involved with a few of the lads he'll be playing with in a few years.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    565 Posts
    Note to Shane

If there are any other lads that would be interested in becoming eligible please let them know that they would be warmly welcomed and that we would do everything that we can to accomodate them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Note to Shane

If there are any other lads that would be interested in becoming eligible please let them know that they would be warmly welcomed and that we would do everything that we can to accomodate them.
    I know of one lad from the North currently playing in Britain who has already stated his desire to represent Ireland.

Fair play to the IFA for clearing up any ambiguity surrounding the eligibility issue.

20. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Named in the U19 squad
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...r-19&Itemid=12

*I hope when I come back tomorrow, this thread hasn't become another battleground for GR, EG, AB, etc etc. That stuff can't be very laborious to read*

22. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I keep forgetting how young he is. Tremendous prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Great news.

Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast