Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1093

Thread: Shane Duffy

  1. #21
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    399
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    119
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    Hopefully Duffy will choose Ireland, or imsure he'd live to regret it. Anyone know if he has spoke to the FAI?
    He trained with us last year, so I'd assume so...but with the lot in charge now, who knows!

  2. #22
    First Team Predator's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    689
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    308
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    He trained with us last year, so I'd assume so...but with the lot in charge now, who knows!
    I watched the Man U reserves versus Everton reserves last night out of interest. United won the game 2-0 and were the better team, but individually, Duffy had a great game. He was unfortunately booked for what replays showed to be a precise tackle on Zoran Tošić and offensively he was on the end of countless free-kicks and corners. Towards the end of the game, commentatory Arthur Albiston even remarked that, had Duffy not been in the defence, Everton could have conceded 4 or 5.

    Duffy looks like a real prospect, the Republic should really look into getting him in the frame. Although, as you say, the guys in charge now seem to be trying ridiculously hard to deter people from playing for them. The whole Barry Maguire nonsense is evidence of that. The article in The Independent from last year shows this: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...d-1433824.html

    If Duffy was down training last year, it obviously shows that he wants to play for the Republic. I can only assume that the FAI, in keeping with their usual antics, probably didn't get back to him.

    Anyway, here's hoping!

  3. #23
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,500
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,383
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,725
    Thanked in
    2,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Was aware of that but he trained with us around a year ago so theres still a chance that he could declare for us....but i'd say at this stage it's unlikely as he seems to be getting treated well by NI and wants to repay them for this
    Any specific reason why you think it seems so unlikely he'll declare for the Republic? It's all just speculation until we hear from the player, surely?

    He played for the Everton reserves against the Manchester United reserves last night. Everton lost 2-0 though. Short match report here: http://www.evertonfc.com/match/repor...-reserves.html

  4. #24
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    460
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    38
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    41
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Any specific reason why you think it seems so unlikely he'll declare for the Republic? It's all just speculation until we hear from the player, surely?

    He played for the Everton reserves against the Manchester United reserves last night. Everton lost 2-0 though. Short match report here: http://www.evertonfc.com/match/repor...-reserves.html
    Given the fact that at the moment he is playing underage with The NI underage team and has been for some time and the fact that last year he trained with our under 17 (ROI) team and has since played for the NI I'd say it's likely that he will stay with them - yes my opinion

    Also if you read a previous post that had an extract from an Everton blog you'd see a extract from his cousin where he states that he is happy with the NI set up and how he's being treated by them.

    The fact remains he is Northern Irish and we shouldn't be that upset if he dosent declare for us - i'd imagine that there are plenty from his background that are happy to declare for NI!!
    I have a head only Snow White would love

  5. #25
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,500
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,383
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,725
    Thanked in
    2,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Given the fact that at the moment he is playing underage with The NI underage team and has been for some time and the fact that last year he trained with our under 17 (ROI) team and has since played for the NI I'd say it's likely that he will stay with them - yes my opinion

    Also if you read a previous post that had an extract from an Everton blog you'd see a extract from his cousin where he states that he is happy with the NI set up and how he's being treated by them.
    Fair enough, I suppose, but I have a feeling that the reason he is absent from the Republic squad is more down to the management than due to him having rejected any approach or offer from the set-up to play. Maybe there's a lack of interest or an unresponsiveness on the management's part; who knows? If he was so keen to remain loyal to the Northern Ireland set-up, why would he bother training with the Republic?

    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    The fact remains he is Northern Irish and we shouldn't be that upset if he dosent declare for us - i'd imagine that there are plenty from his background that are happy to declare for NI!!
    Well, he isn't just Northern Irish though, is he? The fact is he can be Irish or Northern Irish. His choice. Even if he didn't have an Irish father, he would still have that choice, as a legacy of the Darron Gibson saga, unless something has changed on that front. I'm open to correction.
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 17/04/2009 at 6:04 PM. Reason: Clarifying point

  6. #26
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    460
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    38
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    41
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Have to agree with you on that - hopefully he will declare. Let's hope his dad might have some influence that way. But at the end of the day it will be the lad himself who'll decides what's best for him.

    Fingers crossed
    I have a head only Snow White would love

  7. #27
    Reserves
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    282
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Hi guys, I've been hearing good things about the young Irish centre-half at Everton, Shane Duffy. Looks to be a bright star to keep an eye out for in the future. Have any of you here heard of him?

    Here's a Derry Journal report on Duffy and another young Derryman, Patrick McEleney.

    http://www.derryjournal.com/derry-sp...ate.5167323.jp


    Here's a picture of the man in action:



    Both of those lads are not bad players. Duffys roots come from Letterkenny in Donegal and his family are always sending in articles to the local papers telling everybody how well he is doing but that he is very happy with Northern Ireland. It appears to me that they are really looking to get the Republic of Ireland to come in for him but that if in the end if he is not good enough they appear to want to keep in with the IFA at the same time so that he may end up with a better chance of getting international football. Mind you northern Ireland are doing pretty good at the moment.

    Young McEleney's auld boy has been touting his son to every scout in the world since he was 10, he has been using the Foyle Harps club for his own agenda according to many people among the football community in Derry. Many young footballers with excellent ability have been used in the process.

    P.s I am all for every young boy born on the island of Ireland being able to choose what country they want to play for!

  8. #28
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,500
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,383
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,725
    Thanked in
    2,277 Posts
    Came across this recent post from Duffy's cousin on Toffee Talk: http://www.toffeetalk.com/forums/ind...&gopid=160734&

    Maybe it could be construed as some sort of update or insight.

    I don't know exactly what the story is at the minute, although I know Shane is eligible in every way to play for the Republic, holding an Irish passport and especially since his father is from Donegal.

    I was just surfing a message board site in Ireland called foot.ie and they've got a thread on Shane. Some posters are claiming that Shane's Northern Irish, even though he has an Irish passport and would, like myself consider himself to be Irish. Given the opportunity, he'd preferably want to represent Ireland at international level, but if that opportunity did not arise, then certainly he'd like to be playing some form of international football.

  9. #29
    First Team
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,913
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,980
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    256
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Came across this recent post from Duffy's cousin on Toffee Talk: http://www.toffeetalk.com/forums/ind...&gopid=160734&

    Maybe it could be construed as some sort of update or insight.
    The lad should be given every encouragment to play for Ireland at the new Landsdowne road.

  10. #30
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    14,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,811
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    810
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    The FAI should be alerted to that note. Seriously, the internet these days should be used in the most efficient way possible, I mean assuming that guy is for real then these things should be kept an eye out on.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  11. #31
    Reserves kingdomkerry's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    795
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I got a contact from musicinmouth so im going to contact the fai myself and see what the story is. Would hate to loose a good Irish player.

  12. #32
    Mack Daddy gustavo's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    7,715
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    379
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    I watched the Man U reserves versus Everton reserves last night out of interest. United won the game 2-0 and were the better team, but individually, Duffy had a great game. He was unfortunately booked for what replays showed to be a precise tackle on Zoran Tošić and offensively he was on the end of countless free-kicks and corners. Towards the end of the game, commentatory Arthur Albiston even remarked that, had Duffy not been in the defence, Everton could have conceded 4 or 5.

    Duffy looks like a real prospect, the Republic should really look into getting him in the frame. Although, as you say, the guys in charge now seem to be trying ridiculously hard to deter people from playing for them. The whole Barry Maguire nonsense is evidence of that. The article in The Independent from last year shows this: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...d-1433824.html

    If Duffy was down training last year, it obviously shows that he wants to play for the Republic. I can only assume that the FAI, in keeping with their usual antics, probably didn't get back to him.

    Anyway, here's hoping!
    Was Seamus Coleman playing?

  13. #33
    Reserves kingdomkerry's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    795
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    I got a contact from musicinmouth so im going to contact the fai myself and see what the story is. Would hate to loose a good Irish player.
    Done.

    Anyone want to see the e-mail PM me. I'll let the reply be known.

  14. #34
    First Team Predator's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    689
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    308
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Was Seamus Coleman playing?
    No, he wasn't playing, if I can remember correctly. The team was relatively young. There were quite a few U-18 players playing.

  15. #35
    First Team Predator's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    689
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    308
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    I just read over on Toffeetalk that Duffy has been called up the Northern Ireland senior 'B' team! This can't be good for his Republic chances :
    With regard to the U19 game against Switzerland. I was at it, up at Seaview in Belfast. I was conveniently in the bathroom while they played God Save the Queen, but watched the game. Shane had a brilliant game and was awarded with the Man of the Match after the game. He's been called up to the N.I. 'B' team, which is an incredible feat for a 17 year old. Nigel Worthington holds him in high regard - it's bloody strange that the Republic's management team haven't been monitoring the situation, or at least, they don't seem to be!
    http://www.toffeetalk.com/forums/ind...0&#entry163299

    Surely the FAI would pay some heed to a player who is consistently rising through the ranks of both club and international levels!

    Here's another link from the Everton website : http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archiv...-face-off.html

  16. #36
    Reserves republicofwhite's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Londingham
    Posts
    275
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We can kiss goodbye to this fella...

    http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...338758,00.html

  17. #37
    First Team brianw82's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Dublin 3
    Posts
    2,122
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Aye, into the senior NI squad today. Although if he doesn't play.....

  18. #38
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    14,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,811
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    810
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    ya if he doesn't play.

    he better not play. someone should have a word with him....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  19. #39
    First Team livehead1's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,356
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Jesus, they literally have NO strength in depth whatsoever! Its some national side that has to pick players from clubs such as those that many of them players are with. I almost feel sorry for them and would like them to have Duffy. Italy must have agreed to field a D or E squad or else it could be a cricket scoreline.

  20. #40
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    16,870
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,516
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,668
    Thanked in
    2,088 Posts
    Hey livehead, good call on Leon Best. Is he getting you tickets?

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Shane Duffy
    By Charlie Darwin in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22/05/2010, 7:14 PM
  2. Shane Duffy declares for Republic !
    By GM11 in forum Fans Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22/02/2010, 2:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •