Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Tempting fate there EG.
    Not quite sure what you mean by that: I was only referring to Duffy (i.e. I'm unaware of any other young goalkeeping or striking prospects who are considering defecting)

Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    It's pleasing that a young fellow like Shane has the courage to turn down senior international football with NI to follow his heart and fight for his place in our international sides. I think he does have a long way to go before he is ready for senior football with us but the potential to do so is there for everyone to see.
    Notwithstanding his call-up for the Italy and Albania games (for both of which we were beset by injuries/withdrawals), Duffy's still a long way from establishing himself in the NI senior team.

Our first choice pairing is Evans (22) and Hughes (30), both EPL regulars who injuries etc permitting, will form the backbone of our defence for the next 3 years+.

In their absence, we have Duff, McAuley, Craigan and Baird, who have all played CB to a good level , McCartney who can fill in, plus Cathcart (Man U 21 year old on loan at Watford), who as a prospect must still be said to be ahead of Duffy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Cathcart

Of course, if Duffy turns out to be as good as he looks, in another 3 or 4 years time he could be another Richard Dunne etc.

If so, then Good Luck to him (and you) - we'll just get on with it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Duffy's still a long way from establishing himself in the NI senior team.

You're not wrong.............Don't think he ever will to be honest!!
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Should the guy be included in the U21 squad now for the upcoming Armenia game?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm convinced I read before of a goalkeeper who played for the U-16's, and went on to represent England at one of the underage championships. Not sure where he was born though
    Paul Marshall played for the U-19's, and then switched to England and played in the World Youth Championships. He was born in Manchester though
    I might be wrong but didnt James Milner play for us at under 16 level?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    This is an interesting one. Gotten all the way to the full Northern Irish squad and then decides that he'd rather represent another country? I'd be mightily píssed off if someone did that for the ROI, even if he was far from a star player. If it's really what was in his heart all along then good for him I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbod View Post
    You're not wrong.............Don't think he ever will to be honest!!
    Those kind of posts are a bit out of order really Greenbod. We've been lucky to get a promising defender who appears to feel more Irish than Northern Irish and may not make the grade for us. Not really something worth gloating about is it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Don't think he did? Neil Kilkenny at Leeds played underage before declaring for Australia though.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    It was under 14 level that Milner played for us according to wiki
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Don't think so either. He played for England at U-15 and U-17, would be a bit weird if he played for Ireland in-between.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    This is an interesting one. Gotten all the way to the full Northern Irish squad and then decides that he'd rather represent another country? I'd be mightily píssed off if someone did that for the ROI, even if he was far from a star player. If it's really what was in his heart all along then good for him I guess?
    Plenty of NI fans are more annoyed than those on this thread, yes.

I doubt it was really in his heart throughout in the way you're suggesting (ie to play for the South alone). If it was, then presumably he'd have turned down the invitation to play for our junior teams.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This is great news ive been watching Duffy now for a while at Everton. He has progressed well, good solid defender that can score too. Played well in europe for Everton and has never looked out of place.

Im delighted that him and the excellent Seamus Coleman are at everton.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    No, lads, the question I asked was there ever a player born in the Republic who declared for another country.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Should the guy be included in the U21 squad now for the upcoming Armenia game?
    Could be a question on whether he could play in the Euro qual for us as he is already 'cup tied'. There use to be some sort of reference to that in the FIFA regulation.

Sounds like the IFA are becoming experts in shooting both feet at the same time. Duffy is hardly 18 and his short intl carer is littered with one misunderstanding after another. Worthington sounds as if he is a bit of a goof as well.
    Has the penny dropped yet with the IFA yet that 6 county born can declare for the FAI or are they going to protest to FIFA?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Great news!!!

Its tough for some NI fans to accept that this can happen, as that's the way they were brought up (with the divine right to dictate to others what they can do).

Duffy will enjoy playing in the modern European city that is Dublin, where the jackboot of the Orangeman cannot trample over his hopes and dreams

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Has the penny dropped yet with the IFA yet that 6 county born can declare for the FAI or are they going to protest to FIFA?
    Dosent matter where he was born in this case as his dad is from the Republic.

Judging by reports on BBC Northern Ireland at tea time the IFA are really upset with this one and as I stated earlier I cant blame them. They were the ones who gave him his chance when the FAI didnt. They were saying on this that they are going to pull out the stops to ensure this dosent happen again - legal action was mentioned as well so I dont expect this one to go away.

Nonetheless delighted he has joined us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Welcome home Shane

I hope you have a great carreer at club level and international level.

Hopefully you will have great experiences at the new Landsdowne road and playing for Ireland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm convinced I read before of a goalkeeper who played for the U-16's, and went on to represent England at one of the underage championships. Not sure where he was born though
    Paul Marshall played for the U-19's, and then switched to England and played in the World Youth Championships. He was born in Manchester though
    That was Andy Lonergan. In fact he was tapped up by an English coach at a hotel which was being shared by the Irish & English teams.

However strange reference to later in interest in us below (is that rule not now gone!).

http://www.pnefc.net/page/ProfilesDe...~21722,00.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Dosent matter where he was born in this case as his dad is from the Republic.

Judging by reports on BBC Northern Ireland at tea time the IFA are really upset with this one and as I stated earlier I cant blame them. They were the ones who gave him his chance when the FAI didnt. They were saying on this that they are going to pull out the stops to ensure this dosent happen again - legal action was mentioned as well so I dont expect this one to go away.

Nonetheless delighted he has joined us.
    They've no come back on this one with, as you say, his Da being from Donegal. Do the IFA realise this, they way they're talking on what I've heard on the radio is as if this is another case like Gibson. This is no different from what happens all over world football these days, there's no basis to any threats about legal action or going back to FIFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    Great news!!!

Its tough for some NI fans to accept that this can happen, as that's the way they were brought up (with the divine right to dictate to others what they can do).

Duffy will enjoy playing in the modern European city that is Dublin, where the jackboot of the Orangeman cannot trample over his hopes and dreams
    Someone phone dynorod.

I'm as happy as the next guy that Shane's decided to play for us but what feckin orange jackboot trampled on Gerry Armstrongs dreams? ...or Pat Jennings'? ...Chris Bairds? ...Martin O'Neils?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    They've no come back on this one with, as you say, his Da being from Donegal. Do the IFA realise this, they way they're talking on what I've heard on the radio is as if this is another case like Gibson. This is no different from what happens all over world football these days, there's no basis to any threats about legal action or going back to FIFA.
    No. I think the legal action will be with regard to players like Gibson etc who have no connection in their eyes as such with the Republic and preventing them from declaring. Its always been a sore point with the IFA and it's becoming increasingly common now for more and more lads in the North declaring for us as with the case of the two lads called up to the under 19 squad and also Marc Wilson regardless of whether or not they have ties down here - which under the rules is their right and in my opinion should be.
    Last edited by greendeiseboy; 22/02/2010 at 8:36 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    That kind of stuff is a silly, hot-headed reaction. What kind of legal action are they going to take exactly? Try and get his dad's Irish citizenship revoked? As absolutely shít as this is for the IFA, they just need to forget about him and move on.

Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast