Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    he has been in the nordie squad so i doubt it. he hasnt played yet but hes getting into the squad AFAIK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    he has been in the nordie squad so i doubt it. he hasnt played yet but hes getting into the squad AFAIK
    That call-up was a good while ago and apparently a few of our coaches have been in touch with him recently, so hopefully he will make the right choice! Saying that, I don't think he would be included in our next senior squad, whereas Worthington might just call him up to tie him. Maybe an under-21 game?

Do you mean he's getting into the North's next squad? Where did you hear this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    That call-up was a good while ago and apparently a few of our coaches have been in touch with him recently, so hopefully he will make the right choice! Saying that, I don't think he would be included in our next senior squad, whereas Worthington might just call him up to tie him. Maybe an under-21 game?

Do you mean he's getting into the North's next squad? Where did you hear this?
    Duffy captains the NI U-19 side this season. He has played for the U-21 as well, and was on the bench for our full international against Italy last June (although the squad for that game was mainly a mix of U-21 and Irish League players, with only three senior squad regulars.

Although we've thrown in teenagers at the deep end (Evans and Lafferty both played in the qualifier win against Spain at 18) I can't see Duffy making the side (probably not even the squad) for our friendlies this season.

The rules on dual qualification are now such that if he plays a single game for the South- even at U-19, in a friendly- he's then barred from any further NI games. As he probably has more chance of getting into the NI side, and at a younger age, that looks a stark decision to make.

As I always say at this point: what's needed from our point of view is a bi-lateral deal with the FAI that anyone over 18 getting capped at any level, can't then play for his other country. (Widen the deal to include Scotland and you could also end the silly hassling of James McCarthy by the media there).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    What's needed from our point of view is a bi-lateral deal with the FAI that anyone over 18 getting capped at any level, can't then play for his other country. (Widen the deal to include Scotland and you could also end the silly hassling of James McCarthy by the media there).
    The problem with this is, UEFA and FIFA laws will always overrule a situation like this. It would then take one joker who gets capped for, say, the Republic's Under 19 squad, then decides when he's 19 that actually, he always wanted to play for the North and "wasn't aware" of the agreement. He can just declare and there's nothing anyone can actually do about it. Sure, he might not get picked for the North if an agreement was in place, but I'm sure if they were good enough, an exception would be made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Anybody know what the latest is regarding Shane Duffy? Is going to play for us or what?
    Shane's Da posted a fairly long update on OWC, summarised roughly as follows.

His (Donegal-born) Da would dearly love him to play for ROI, but the lad himself has always been strongly committed to NI, for reasons which I quote below. Indeed, the Da drove him down to Dublin for a trial with the ROI under-age set-up (not sure what age level), which Shane came through with flying colours, much to his Da's delight. Yet when Da asked him what he thought, he merely replied it was "OK". At that point, the Da realised Shane had only gone along with the trial to please him, which he (Da) to his credit accepted was not a good enough reason for switching.

Since then, as we know, Shane has made great progress via NI, eg playing for the U-21's whilst still only 17 and even getting into the 18 man squad for the senior friendly in Italy (our squad was desperately short of players, it should be said).

However, two things look to have hacked Shane off somewhat. First, he was the only unused sub (of seven) for the Italy game. It had been agreed with Italy in the morning that only six subs would be used, yet Worthington still asked Shane to warm up, presumably leading him to think he'd get a few minutes. I don't know what NW was thinking, but it was he seems to have built the lad's hopes up, only to dash them.

Second, the NI U-21 team had a shocker at home to Iceland, after which the manager (Steve Beaglehole) had some VERY harsh words for them. From what we can gather subsequently, he was basically referring to the IL contingent, but when Shane wasn't picked for the return game in Iceland, he assumed that Beaglehole's criticism had also been directed at him (it wasn't).

It was only four weeks later, when Alfie Wylie (Beaglehole's local Assistant) phoned Shane about something, that it emerged that Shane had not been picked to travel to Iceland because Everton would not release him (Shane had been unaware of this it seems). Therefore, Shane is still as highly valued by NI as ever.

Anyhow, on the basis that these misunderstandings don't appear to have soured him, I am stil reasonably confident he'll stick with us, for as his Da said on OWC:

"any way it seems to have been sorted out by all involed,right now the dicision is purly in shanes hand what ever he dicides to do we will back him 100%.one thing is for sure there is no way shane would be were he is todayif it was not for n/ireland.from paddy mcgongle in the milk cup to dessie currie in the victory shield then paul kee u/17s to steve beadlehole u/19s 21s and nigal himself shane has so much respect for all these men any rightfull so all topmen,shane loves to play for n/ireland and always has done"

Of course, he is still only just 18, with a hell of a way to go. Moreover, Centre Back is NI's strongest position by a long way - in Jonny Evans and Aaron Hughes we've got regulars in two of the top defences in the EPL, plus another 4 or 5 CB's who feature strongly in the EPL, SPL or English Championship.

But having said all that, with an attitude like Shane's, if/when he does get to play for the senior NI team, he is guaranteed absolute LEGEND status amongst the fans from the moment he pulls on the shirt!
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 09/02/2010 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Yawn.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Yawn.
    Thats a terrible attitude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    The problem with this is, UEFA and FIFA laws will always overrule a situation like this. It would then take one joker who gets capped for, say, the Republic's Under 19 squad, then decides when he's 19 that actually, he always wanted to play for the North and "wasn't aware" of the agreement. He can just declare and there's nothing anyone can actually do about it. Sure, he might not get picked for the North if an agreement was in place, but I'm sure if they were good enough, an exception would be made.
    I would very much hope that he would not get picked by "the North" [sic] in such circumstances, not just because I only want players who are committed to us, and for the right reasons (see Shane Duffy, above), but also because I would not like to see us get a name for being the sort of people who would enter into such a Gentleman's Agreement because it suited us, then blithely renege on it when it didn't...
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 09/02/2010 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    ..... but also because I would not like to see us get a name for being the sort of people who would enter into such a Gentleman's Agreement because it suited us, then blithely renege on it when it didn't...
    Here we go again......

Regarding Duffy; he hasn't given any indications that he wants to play for us. His international prospects are far greater with the North than with us. So if that's the route he wants to choose, I wish the lad the best of luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Yawn.
    Trap a Pony originally asked: "Anybody know what the latest is regarding Shane Duffy? Is going to play for us or what?"

My reply was therefore for his benefit and that of any other grown-up who might be interested.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Yawn.

Grow up and act your age ( im presuming you aint a child) , but with your above comment....i could well be mistaken.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    The rules on dual qualification are now such that if he plays a single game for the South- even at U-19, in a friendly- he's then barred from any further NI games. As he probably has more chance of getting into the NI side, and at a younger age, that looks a stark decision to make.

As I always say at this point: what's needed from our point of view is a bi-lateral deal with the FAI that anyone over 18 getting capped at any level, can't then play for his other country. (Widen the deal to include Scotland and you could also end the silly hassling of James McCarthy by the media there).
    You're certainly right that Duffy has a tough decision to make. However, I don't think that such a 'deal' would ever come to fruition. The current rules practically prevent a player from messing about with their international future and effectively forces them to make a decision, since they are only allowed to change once.

His (Donegal-born) Da would dearly love him to play for ROI, but the lad himself has always been strongly committed to NI, for reasons which I quote below. Indeed, the Da drove him down to Dublin for a trial with the ROI under-age set-up (not sure what age level), which Shane came through with flying colours, much to his Da's delight. Yet when Da asked him what he thought, he merely replied it was "OK". At that point, the Da realised Shane had only gone along with the trial to please him, which he (Da) to his credit accepted was not a good enough reason for switching.

Since then, as we know, Shane has made great progress via NI, eg playing for the U-21's whilst still only 17 and even getting into the 18 man squad for the senior friendly in Italy (our squad was desperately short of players, it should be said).

However, two things look to have hacked Shane off somewhat. First, he was the only unused sub (of seven) for the Italy game. It had been agreed with Italy in the morning that only six subs would be used, yet Worthington still asked Shane to warm up, presumably leading him to think he'd get a few minutes. I don't know what NW was thinking, but it was he seems to have built the lad's hopes up, only to dash them.

Second, the NI U-21 team had a shocker at home to Iceland, after which the manager (Steve Beaglehole) had some VERY harsh words for them. From what we can gather subsequently, he was basically referring to the IL contingent, but when Shane wasn't picked for the return game in Iceland, he assumed that Beaglehole's criticism had also been directed at him (it wasn't).

It was only four weeks later, when Alfie Wylie (Beaglehole's local Assistant) phoned Shane about something, that it emerged that Shane had not been picked to travel to Iceland because Everton would not release him (Shane had been unaware of this it seems). Therefore, Shane is still as highly valued by NI as ever.

Anyhow, on the basis that these misunderstandings don't appear to have soured him, I am stil reasonably confident he'll stick with us, for as his Da said on OWC:

"any way it seems to have been sorted out by all involed,right now the dicision is purly in shanes hand what ever he dicides to do we will back him 100%.one thing is for sure there is no way shane would be were he is todayif it was not for n/ireland.from paddy mcgongle in the milk cup to dessie currie in the victory shield then paul kee u/17s to steve beadlehole u/19s 21s and nigal himself shane has so much respect for all these men any rightfull so all topmen,shane loves to play for n/ireland and always has done"

Of course, he is still only just 18, with a hell of a way to go. Moreover, Centre Back is NI's strongest position by a long way - in Jonny Evans and Aaron Hughes we've got regulars in two of the top defences in the EPL, plus another 4 or 5 CB's who feature strongly in the EPL, SPL or English Championship.

But having said all that, with an attitude like Shane's, if/when he does get to play for the senior NI team, he is guaranteed absolute LEGEND status amongst the fans from the moment he pulls on the shirt!
    Fair play to Duffy's father for posting. I read that post too.

What I take from the post is that young Duffy evidently appreciates the dedication that his coaches at NI have consistently shown him. I can only speculate, but it would seem obvious to me that Duffy would have been brought up supporting RoI (being from Derry, playing the GAA and having a lot of Donegal connections) and presumably, he would like to play for RoI, but since he has been in the NI setup for such a long time (since he was 14?) with such support from them throughout his relatively short career, it must be very hard for him to make a decision. All this nonsense that people spout about such a decision being simply 'black and white' is just not the case and a prospective talent like Duffy should be afforded every support from us as fans.

In Duffy's father's (Brian?) post, he also claims that Duffy was recently considering changing, so I would take that as an indication that he still has a desire to play for RoI. Interestingly, Alfie Wylie seems to have only contacted Duffy's father after he heard that Shane wanted to leave.
    Originally Posted by Brian Duffy
    ...alfie phoned me after he got wind that shane was thinking for leaving...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

Interesting read, thanks for that Ealing Green. It's a big decision he has to make but one that should be respected either way.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I would not like to see us get a name for being the sort of people who would enter into such a Gentleman's Agreement because it suited us, then blithely renege on it when it didn't...
    Sorry, that wasn't a snipe at the IFA or Shane Duffy or anything like that, I was merely pointing out the impracticality of the idea whether the agreement is between Ireland, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Thats a terrible attitude.
    I think Crosby has been misunderstood here........it's quite obvious he's using the well known acronym You're A Wise Northerner
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Welcome on board Shane.

"But Nigel Worthington's plans to name Everton teenager Shane Duffy have been scrapped because the defender has opted to play for the Republic of Ireland."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...sh/8528248.stm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    If true then good luck to him. I hope he goes on to great things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Great news, finally!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    IFA and some Norn Iron papers are saying Duffy is still with the northerners? Hmmm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Maybe Shane's auld lad can let us know what's happening .... EG?

Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast