Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    It can be a bit awkward to arrange this so has not to cause friction with other FAs.

Every effort should be made to ease the path for good players to play for us.

We cannot afford to lose out on good players due to a lack of effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I think it's ridiculous if Duffy wants to play for ROI why he can't be arsed to fire off an email to McCaffrey asking to be part of the plans. He's already been in the squad and pulled out. I think McCaffrey has a point.

F**k chasing these pre-madonnas what has he done yet in football to demand that we chase him to play for us? Let him show some initiative and contact McCaffrey like any of us have to when we want something in our day to day lives. What age is he 19 or 9?
    Duffy was not in a squad, so how could he 'pull out'? I don't see it as being a primadonna - Duffy's clearly just a kid. He's only 17 and this is still all new to him, so for christ's sake, cut him a bit of slack.

Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    It can be a bit awkward to arrange this so has not to cause friction with other FAs.

Every effort should be made to ease the path for good players to play for us.

We cannot afford to lose out on good players due to a lack of effort.
    Agreed.
    The IFA could have no grounds for complaint at Duffy opting for ROI, except maybe some kind of 'compensation', but even that's pushing the boat out...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Duffy was not in a squad, so how could he 'pull out'? I don't see it as being a primadonna - Duffy's clearly just a kid. He's only 17 and this is still all new to him, so for christ's sake, cut him a bit of slack...The IFA could have no grounds for complaint at Duffy opting for ROI, except maybe some kind of 'compensation', but even that's pushing the boat out...
    Duffy is so young that he could play for the RoI u-19 and u-21 and a slate of friendly full internationals for the next four seasons, and then get two minutes as a NI sub in a qualifier against Andorra or Faroes to tie him to us. Would you feel equally unlikely to complain then (genuine question)?

I know FIFA have ruled recently, but there's no reason why the FAI and IFA couldn't compromise locally as I suggested up the thread. If someone has passed 18 and played u-19, u-21 or full friendly that ties him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Duffy is so young that he could play for the RoI u-19 and u-21 and a slate of friendly full internationals for the next four seasons, and then get two minutes as a NI sub in a qualifier against Andorra or Faroes to tie him to us. Would you feel equally unlikely to complain then (genuine question)?
    I meant that the IFA can't complain in the same fashion that they did in the Darron Gibson scenario, since a large portion of Duffy's immediate family are technically from the Republic. However, I do see what you mean. To answer your question though, I would feel equally unlikely to complain, as I feel that it is ultimately the player's decision - the fans can complain all they want, but as far as the IFA or FAI seeking compensation, I don't think that's right, especially if it makes it difficult for a player to play for the country that they actually want to play for.

It's hard to know what the situation is with Duffy. I'd imagine that if he was well integrated within the RoI youth set-up as he was with NI he wouldn't jump at the chance to play for NI. The thing is, Duffy has been in the NI youth teams since he was 15, maybe younger. At 15, RoI won't even consider looking at players from the North and as such, young Irish players in NI don't get integrated into RoI youth teams, but they do get integrated into NI youth teams. It's only when players start showing real promise that RoI come knocking. That's actually something which annoys me - I think there should be an active RoI presence in places like Derry where people actually would prefer to play for the country they feel affiliated with. Duffy might even have given up on the idea of playing with RoI. Especially with a feeling of rejection maybe? It's my understanding that Duffy has simply not been called up by any RoI youth team managers, whereas he has at NI. If it was me, as a Derry man, while I'd appreciate the opportunities presented to me with NI (beggars can't be choosers!), I know I'd be deflated if RoI did not give me a chance.

I know FIFA have ruled recently, but there's no reason why the FAI and IFA couldn't compromise locally as I suggested up the thread. If someone has passed 18 and played u-19, u-21 or full friendly that ties him?
    Maybe you have a case. I'm not so sure yet. I think that grassroots problems may have to be addressed first so as to avoid these situations where players want to 'defect'.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    The two sides were invited by FIFA to come up with some compromise.
    We certainly know the IFA were not interested. Anyway it would have been impossible to negotiate with the IFA. You can't negotiate with a self righteous group who simply had and probably still have, a profound ignorance of the rules.

It's hardly an issue now. Any kid from the few who come to the FAI, has the full opportunity to return to the IFA. One or two players might want to yo yo around, more fool them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    If Duffy wants to play for us he personally must make it be known. The easiest way for him to do so is to withdraw his availibility for NI - although I appreciate that he insists on taking penalties for NI and duly missing them. If he doesn't want to do this, I wish him luck with his future (club ) career.
    Last edited by ifk101; 07/09/2009 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts
    Everyone on this thread seems to be viewing Duffy's situation almost as though his "default" setting is to play for ROI, with the discussion focusing on which of the FAI or the player himself should make the first contact etc.

Whereas might it not be that rather than being some sort of "aberration", his actual preference (to date) to play for NI is actually because he's quite happy to do so?

The fact is, whatever "stigma" might formerly have attached to the NI team, this is dissipating all the time. In particular, since Worthington appointed (the excellent) Steve Beaglehole to manage the NI U-21's and oversee the other under-age teams, the whole set-up is proving very professional and progressive, with "politics" (perceived or otherwise) having no part whatever.

Consequently, a number of promising young 1st or 2nd generation players from England are opting for us, in preference to the country of their birth.

Personally, I suspect Duffy is becoming ever more entrenched in the NI set-up, not only because he has clearly been "earmarked" for fast-tracking by NW and SB, but also because the atmosphere and spirit in the various teams is top-class.

Beyond that, all I would add is that I would bear him no grudge if he should accede to his Da's wishes and transfer to the ROI, but I am cautiously confident that this will not be the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    I thought there was something strange about the whole Shane Duffy story.

It seemed clear that he was very keen to play for Ireland and that was why he went to train with the Ireland u17’s last June.

Some sort of crossed wires or misunderstandings have obviously occurred since that time and if it isn’t sorted out we could lose (or may have lost) a potentially good player. How difficult would it be for someone other than McCaffrey to give the lad a call, have a chat and sort it out.

It’s a lot of pressure for a 17 year old who is making good progress with Everton.

On the plus side, Duffy’s mate Patrick McEleney has been making good progress at Sunderland this season and we have also seen Derry’s Shane McEleney recently playing for the u19’s.

And Derry’s Darren McAuley was called up to the u19 squad last week for the 4 nation’s tournament (along with Shane McEleney).

So not all bad news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Everyone on this thread seems to be viewing Duffy's situation almost as though his "default" setting is to play for ROI, with the discussion focusing on which of the FAI or the player himself should make the first contact etc.

Whereas might it not be that rather than being some sort of "aberration", his actual preference (to date) to play for NI is actually because he's quite happy to do so?
    I'm guilty of this. I can't speak for Duffy, but I don't know many Derry people who would ideally choose NI over RoI.

The fact is, whatever "stigma" might formerly have attached to the NI team, this is dissipating all the time. In particular, since Worthington appointed (the excellent) Steve Beaglehole to manage the NI U-21's and oversee the other under-age teams, the whole set-up is proving very professional and progressive, with "politics" (perceived or otherwise) having no part whatever.
    The stigma may be slowly dissipating but it's still there. Things like the anthem and the traditional fan base of NI. You are quite correct though. Internal 'politics' appears to be dying out in the NI football teams.

Personally, I suspect Duffy is becoming ever more entrenched in the NI set-up, not only because he has clearly been "earmarked" for fast-tracking by NW and SB, but also because the atmosphere and spirit in the various teams is top-class.

Beyond that, all I would add is that I would bear him no grudge if he should accede to his Da's wishes and transfer to the ROI, but I am cautiously confident that this will not be the case.
    I'm just annoyed that the FAI does not appear to be interested in Duffy since he trained with them last year. He's clearly good enough like. Like you, I think that since Duffy has been integrated and fast-tracked by NI, he may feel some kind of obligation to his coaches to stay, which is understandable. If Duffy turns out to be a good prospect and ends up playing with NI as a result of the FAI's incompetence, I'll probably be a bit annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    I thought there was something strange about the whole Shane Duffy story.

It seemed clear that he was very keen to play for Ireland and that was why he went to train with the Ireland u17’s last June.

Some sort of crossed wires or misunderstandings have obviously occurred since that time and if it isn’t sorted out we could lose (or may have lost) a potentially good player. How difficult would it be for someone other than McCaffrey to give the lad a call, have a chat and sort it out.

It’s a lot of pressure for a 17 year old who is making good progress with Everton.

On the plus side, Duffy’s mate Patrick McEleney has been making good progress at Sunderland this season and we have also seen Derry’s Shane McEleney recently playing for the u19’s.

And Derry’s Darren McAuley was called up to the u19 squad last week for the 4 nation’s tournament (along with Shane McEleney).

So not all bad news.
    Not all bad news, but having some kids who play for Derry under-21s in the squad over a kid who has played for Everton's first team doesn't make it better for me. I've seen both McEleneys play and Duffy. I rate Duffy higher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Not all bad news, but having some kids who play for Derry under-21s in the squad over a kid who has played for Everton's first team doesn't make it better for me.
    Can't disagree with that.

Darren McCauley seems to be attracting quite a bit of interest
    Last edited by co. down green; 09/09/2009 at 8:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Duffy played another competitive international for NI U21s last night - at home to Iceland. NI were confident of getting a win before the game but our Shane had other ideas and duly gave away the penalty from which Iceland took the lead. Not content with that, our Shane duly orchestrated the NI defence in overseeing the concession of 5 more goals. The game ended in a 6-2 defeat for the wee ones and effectively ends their U21 qualification hopes after just two games played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Duffy played another competitive international for NI U21s last night - at home to Iceland. NI were confident of getting a win before the game but our Shane had other ideas and duly gave away the penalty from which Iceland took the lead. Not content with that, our Shane duly orchestrated the NI defence in overseeing the concession of 5 more goals. The game ended in a 6-2 defeat for the wee ones and effectively ends their U21 qualification hopes after just two games played
    Er, whoops. May be clutching at straws but we'll take inspiration from Greece's start in Euro 2004

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Surely Shane would rather be playing his home games in the future at the impressive new Landsdowne Road and playing for the team that the majority of the people on the Island of Ireland support.
    Last edited by seanfhear; 09/09/2009 at 12:30 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Er, whoops. May be clutching at straws but we'll take inspiration from Greece's start in Euro 2004
    I suppose you'd have to, not much inspiration to be drawn from the NI total of 3 points in the same group.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    http://www.irishfa.com/the-ifa/news/...6-iceland-u21/
    Maybe not as good as alot of people on here thought!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    One bad game doesn't mean anything, especially when he's that age.

6-2 screams team failure, not individual mistakes.

I'd still be glad to have him if he wants to play for us....but if he doesn't, long may these kind of results continue!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    http://www.irishfa.com/the-ifa/news/...6-iceland-u21/
    Maybe not as good as alot of people on here thought!
    One guy over on OWC was at the game and said (I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him here):

Originally Posted by BLIMEYO
    Duffy (caught out for penalty after Taylor's horrendous mistake) looks a little raw but I felt he competed well in the air and was probably the only one of our back four who kept making challenges.
    [...]
    Only other discussion point for me was the constant bickering between Casement and Duffy - their lack of communication and Casement's refusal to even pass the ball to Duffy didn't help when we were being hit on the break. I think Casement was poor overall, picked as captain presumably for his experience but didn't seem to know what to do and his distribution was shocking. Ironically, I think the disagreement between those two was caused by Duffy yelling at Casement for not picking up his man - Personally, although he still has to mature a bit, Duffy looks like a leader and potential future captain of the under 21s to me...He was the only one who seemed to be shouting and trying to organise, reminded me a lot of how Jonny Evans had no fear about pulling up his more experienced team members for their errors when he made his debut for the under 21s against Germany back in Sept 2002..hopefully a good sign but he does need a few more seasons in the under 21s and to play regular first team football before he is ready for the senior squad.
    So despite giving away a penalty and the NI team capitulating to the Iceland team, Duffy was clearly impressive to some fans.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,715 Posts
    With regard to the "stigma" issue mentioned above, I thought it was telling that the crowd have a song about Clingan - "he's from the Falls, he's got big balls" (did I hear it right on TV?). To me it shows the crowd is just as proud of a guy from a staunch nationalist background as they are of David Healy or whoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    With regard to the "stigma" issue mentioned above, I thought it was telling that the crowd have a song about Clingan - "he's from the Falls, he's got big balls" (did I hear it right on TV?). To me it shows the crowd is just as proud of a guy from a staunch nationalist background as they are of David Healy or whoever
    Yes, that's the one.

Other player specific songs:

Healy (tune: Away in a manger)
    Davis (You are my sunshine)
    Feeney (Itsy bitsy teeny weeny)
    Lafferty (Down down )

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    With regard to the "stigma" issue mentioned above, I thought it was telling that the crowd have a song about Clingan - "he's from the Falls, he's got big balls" (did I hear it right on TV?). To me it shows the crowd is just as proud of a guy from a staunch nationalist background as they are of David Healy or whoever.
    Not sure that Clingan's from an altogetherly "staunch nationalist background." he would be one of the very few Falls residents harbouring ambitions to manage Rangers.

"Super Sammy Clingan, i was born in west belfast, i now play for norwich city , but realy i want to move back to the mighty nottingham forest , then i want to captain my country , and hopfully get the the 2010 world cup. !!!!!

then when i retired i want to manage a few teams , maybe forest , and maybe glasgow rangers , last but not least my country , i love to manage our wee country."

Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast