Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Something like these:

"In honesty you have to feel sorry for that truly pathetic shower of sh**te that is the FAI.Can't develop their own players and prefer to poach them from their nearest neighbours after they have developed them for years. Not one of the great Irish dispora is capable of managing them, so they have to draft in an Italian to try to coax his team of gather up mongrels to qualify for somthing.If their poaching policy is not sectarian why have they not called up any N.Irish or Scottish protestant players?
    The IFA should ensure that Derry City are no longer allowed to operate within their jurisdiction as they seem to be the primary source of this cancer which is eating at our national team.As all these defectors have such an affinity with the RoI ,it is a bit strange that they prefer to earn their livings in BRITAIN instead of going to their beloved Dublin and playing for Shamrock Rovers or St Pats or whoever,but off course it is only payback for 10000 years of oppression.

Just some random thoughts ."

"I've been laughed down on this forum for saying that in the past but I still believe its nearing that stage.The continuing growth of support for republican politicians and thier blinkered agenda certainly wont help the cause of a cross cultural Northern Ireland team."

"f**k him.
    f**k F.I.F.A.
    f**k the F.A.I.
    and f**k the I.F.A for not having a set of balls."

"He's a freeloading c**t that took the place of another player that could have benefited from the IFA's investment and had the distinction of playing from his country. He and his family are shameless."

So a lot of well articulated (!) anger. But, yet again, no self-reflection.

I think this may be a wake up call for some, so this vitriol may lead to something beneficial. They're clearly upset...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    His political opinion has nothing to do with it. There have been plenty of nationalists who have been proud to play for Northern Ireland. We respect the wishes of all who don't mess us about.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Interview with his Dad on UTV at 10.30 tonight
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awec View Post
    His political opinion has nothing to do with it. There have been plenty of nationalists who have been proud to play for Northern Ireland. We respect the wishes of all who don't mess us about.
    You do realise you're taking this way too seriously, right?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    That's a cracking post Danny, saves me a lot of time, the issue about this being different to the Gibson case has been mentioned on the thread alright, I'm ataggered by how it'snot mentioned on a lot of the media coverage.

Would be interested to see the response to the post on OWC if The Fly posts it....
    I actually think the point being made about him also qualifying through the parentage rule is missing the point. The lad qualifies for ROI, regardless of where his granny is from. He doesnt have to prove anything to anyone... hes from the North.. he qualifies... end of.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Understand football fans of Northern Ireland being annoyed, but his dad is from Letterkenny, it has been clear for sometime that he was looking for the FAI to ask him to come and join them so cant see why you are surprised. I mean he had friends and family on here that have been writing on here constantly flying his flag. Lets hope he keeps developing and is one for the future, certainly is a prospect. All we need now id to try and encorage another Donegal diaspora in Aston Villas Ciaran Clarke to join the revolution, only thing he is currently Englands U-19 captain I think. Derry City's Paddy McEleney good prospect in the future also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awec View Post
    You're still all not grasping this. Most people aren't annoyed that he switched sides, its how long he waited. If he wanted to play for the ROI he should never have been anywhere near our youth sides.

This is what grates people. We develop a player and the FAI get the benefits.

If Duffy had declared for the FAI and played through their youth system, nobody would give 2 hoots about him.
    To be fair, I think you're the one who's failing to see the point through your knee-jerk ranting and raving; that this isn't a simple black and white issue. You're living in a fantasy world. In the last paragraph of my post above the one of yours I am quoting here, I tried to rationalise the most likely reason why Duffy took until now to declare for Ireland after years of routine playing within the IFA's framework followed by weeks of guilt over his realisation that the time had come to follow his dream. Others have tried to do likewise. I find it hard to believe you keep missing all this. Whilst he may have been part of the under-21 Northern Irish side, it must also be remembered that the lad is, after all, still only just turned 18 last month.

And how much credit can you take for his development anyway? The IFA have already benefited from their relationship with him. Under-age representation - captaincy even - doesn't count for nothing, you know. You got an immediate return for your investment. Does he owe you a career of service simply because your youth coaches invested time and resources in him? That would be quite a disproportionate obligation to demand of anyone. The FAI will now invest their time and resources in Duffy and reap their own benefits from this. Be thankful for what he offered your youth teams and move on. It'll do you good.

Out of interest, at what age would you have preferred Duffy to declare for Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    "He's a freeloading c**t that took the place of another player that could have benefited from the IFA's investment and had the distinction of playing from his country. He and his family are shameless."

I think this may be a wake up call for some, so this vitriol may lead to something beneficial. They're clearly upset...
    I wouldn't discount that one in particular as mere vitriol. Sure, it's hard to see it through the bitter hate, but there is a valid point in there somewhere that I think deserves attention at least; that being that one could argue that he did take the place of someone else who might have benefited from the IFA's investment. But then, it depends on how you view youth football. Is it preparation for the future or could it be considered an end in its own right? If you hold the former view, you might feel the IFA are owed something. On the other hand, if you hold the latter view, you'll feel that the IFA are owed nothing as they have already been repaid by Duffy's services to their youth teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northerncelt View Post
    I actually think the point being made about him also qualifying through the parentage rule is missing the point. The lad qualifies for ROI, regardless of where his granny is from. He doesnt have to prove anything to anyone... hes from the North.. he qualifies... end of.
    Indeed, you're quite right; he qualifies. End of. But try telling that to those foaming at the mouth on the OWC forum and lambasting him for "following in the footsteps of Gibson". I just think Duffy and the FAI are coming under undeserved and misplaced criticism in this particular instance. The Gibson issue is a different debate and there's no need to draw Duffy into it. Not that I have issue with how Gibson qualifies to play for us either - I'm in full support of northern players having the right to represent Ireland and would be disgusted if this right was ever taken away from them, as I've always maintained - but it can't be denied that it's contentious for some and seems to come with a stigma attached in the minds of others; the inference being that it involves poaching and dirty work on the part of the FAI and players involved. This need not be tagged on to Duffy. He has nothing to feel remotely guilty about, even if what Northern Ireland fans had to say on the Gibson matter is correct. Of course, I'm not saying it is; just pointing out that they can't criticise Duffy in the same manner they do Gibson.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    How come we didnt get Naill Mc Ginn?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northerncelt View Post
    Exactly and by all accounts he felt like a square peg in a round hole in the IFA set up and had made his decision ages ago but was persuaded to delay and delay.

I was somewhat surprised to find many, if not most, of the OWC still do not understand the FIFA answer of May 2008 to the IFA objection..They still think Irish citizens born in the North need to have some family connection to the South before being eligible. They are not the brightest of sparks up there.
    With obstinacy and ignorance abound, then throw in a level of bitterness and begrudgery over Duffy and the thin FFA facade fades fast as the internet equivalent of a moronic loyalist lynch mob gets motoring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    international youth football is a minefield for both the player and the association with both parties giving their all in the hope that the player will make it all the way through and the association will have him represent the senior team. For a whole host of reasons things dont always work out with the player. In fact, the majority of "promising" underage players dont make it all the way through the international grades.

Duffy's case with the IFA is no different. Get over it nordie lads.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    I dont remember anyone on here getting too upset or abusing Shane Lowry after he decided to play for Australia after he played up to under 21 level for us.Dont really see a huge difference between the 2 situations..... maybe we just used up all our bitterness on Thierry Henry!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Same with Tony Kane when he changed his allegiances to the North, or Paul Marshall when he turned out for England

Matthew Connolly came in for some criticism when he changed to England, but it died off fairly quickly
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Ireland need all the Irish-born players they can get...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post
    Ireland need all the Irish-born players they can get...
    Agree, and that should include kids born abroad to Irish parents and grand parents who want to play for us. The way our economy is at the moment mass emigration is happening again which will lead to a lot of Irish kids being born abroad through no fault of their own but equally as Irish as those born here.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    I see that many Northern Ireland fans are annoyed that Duffy's father has indicated (as Duffy also did) that Duffy grew up supporting and dreaming of playing for Ireland. They're also annoyed that he has insisted that they're a proud Irish family. You really can't win. Meanwhile, the IFA have used this as another springboard to launch an appeal against the established rules. It really seems like a storm in a teacup.

On Duffy as a player;it's clear to see that Worthington was extremely disappointed at losing Duffy and to me, that can only be indication of how highly he rates him - otherwise why would he have fast-tracked him? I've heard from some Everton fans who've seen him play that he's one of the best under 21 defensive prospects on the island and his declaration is a huge boost as we're looking for a strong defence to take over from Dunne and O'Shea et.al. (if only we could get another Given!). He's shown glimpses of his potential in the Europa league despite being only 17 and if you look at Everton forums, some fans call for both him and Coleman to be included instead of Distin and Hibbert. He's probably well down the pecking order at the minute, with Jagielka's return, but Yobo and Distin are both 32, so who knows when he'll get his chance? Hopefully he (along with Coleman) can go on to have a successful career. It's already had enough controversy to last him ten years!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    his declaration is a huge boost as we're looking for a strong defence to take over from Dunne and O'Shea et.al. (if only we could get another Given!).
    Regarding your Given comment, I'm not saying Westwood is going to be as good as Shay, but he is a very good young keeper who I'm very happy to have within our ranks. Basically I'm saying while it might be a slight step down, we are still going to have a very good keeper once Shay hangs up his mitts.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast