Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I'm seething about this. We play him through our youth levels and develop him and then he sods off to play for another country.

Adios, waster. If you wanted to play for the ROI you should never have got anywhere near our youth setup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awec View Post
    I'm seething about this. We play him through our youth levels and develop him and then he sods off to play for another country.

Adios, waster. If you wanted to play for the ROI you should never have got anywhere near our youth setup.
    To be fair you were serving a greater cause, so not time or effort wasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts

Did you not listen to Nigel Worthington on the news? Several times, including only a few months ago, Duffy wanted to declare for the Republic, only to be persuaded by Worthington not to. Finally, it seems he is sticking with his guns.

I take it you are a Northern Ireland fan? Tell me, do you frown upon the likes of Oliver Norwood and Joe Dudgeon ( both good United players), among others changing ship from England to play for NI? You might as well just accept the lad's decision and I'm sure Duffy probably gave his all when playing for NI youth teams (EG, GR might know more) - but no, that's all forgotten now I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    If Duffy was so keen to play for the Republic Worthington wouldn't have been able to persuade him otherwise at all.

In future I hope the IFA make players declare before we waste our time and effort on players who want to go elsewhere. Ask them before we bother, if they say no then that's it, they're done. For good. Even if the FAI don't want them, I'm not interested in players who don't want to play for us.

I don't care that he gave his all in the youth teams. Him giving his all was negated when he effectively shafted us by switching allegiance. Good riddance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I should point out before the accusations start flying that I have no problem with people born in Northern Ireland playing for the Republic. That's a birthright.

What I do have a problem with is wasters who waste our time, effort and resources when they have no intention of playing for us. If they don't want to play for us, they can clear off. Simple. No messing about, no waiting around, none of this "I'll play through the youth system and maybe they won't be cheesed off when I sod off then" rubbish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I should point out before the accusations start flying that I have no problem with people born in Northern Ireland playing for the Republic. That's a birthright.

What I do have a problem with is wasters who waste our time, effort and resources when they have no intention of playing for us. If they don't want to play for us, they can clear off. Simple. No messing about, no waiting around, none of this "I'll play through the youth system and maybe they won't be cheesed off when I sod off then" rubbish.
    Perhaps these posts on Ourweecountry by Duffy's father Brian gives some perspective on the decision.

QUOTE (donaghy @ Feb 6 2010, 09:03 PM) *
    welcome to the board duffs-quick question for you though. on foot.ie (ROI football website) all i ever read is that you (shanes dad) are constantly trying to persuade Shane to play for the republic instead of NI and it is only a matter a time before he plays for the Republic. does shane actually enjoy playing for NI and see a future with us? was he annoyed that he didnt get a game against Italy? i see you joined here a few days after the game-would have loved to see your lad in a NI strip but it didnt happen for some reason. if you dont want to answer for your son no worries.

Hello Donaghy

You say I am constantly trying to get Shane to play for the Rep.

Don't believe all you read Donaghy,I am from Donegal followed the Rep all my life and for a son of mine to be given the chance to play for the team I was brought up to follow is just amazing.

I brought Shane down to Dublin for a trail and he came through it with flying colours,I said to Shane after what does he think he said it ok,thats when it dawned on me that he was doning this for me and his mother and not for himself which was complety the wrong thing to do.

Since then we have left any international decision to Shane himself. I went to the Italy match in Pisa thinking, from what I was told, he was goning to get 15mins which would have been fantastic but the powers to be decided that 6 subs would be enough.

The thing that annoyed me, and even more so Shane, was the fact with the 6 subs used Worthington told Shane to warm up knowing from that morning that Shane would not be playing.

Why did he not tell him?
    Why did he ask him to warm up?
    Why did he say Shane was first class?
    Was it because Shane said nothing about how he felt after the match?

The match was an international friendly challenge match, you don't get caps for this unless it was because it was the World champions?

Beadlehole said after the 21's got hammered by Iceland that there is some players that will never wear the shirt again.

So when the next match away to Iceland came up and Shane got no letter to go what was he to think?

What were we all to think?

Alfie Whiley phoned me 4 weeks after the match to say there was a misunderstanding with N Ireland and Everton, he said N Ireland were told by Everton that Shane was not getting released for this match.

That's nice to know but would you not think that after what Beadlehole had said he would have lifted the phone to explain this to Shane?

Perhaps Everton should have told him this but for Shane to be still waiting on the letter right up to the day before the squad left was not good. what were we to think?

Alfie phoned me after he got wind that Shane was thinking for leaving, what else was he to do after all that had been said and with him hearing nothing since beadlehole outburst?

He thought he had to move to play football,I really think Shane has what it takes to be at a very high level so if he was not going to get football with N Ireland and the option was there to play for the Rep what was he supposed to do?

After this rumours were rife about him moving - that must be were you picked it up on footie.

Anyway it seems to have been sorted out by all involved. Right now the dicision is purely in Shanes hand.

Whatever he decides to do we will back him 100%.

One thing is for sure there is no way Shane would be were he is today if it was not for N Ireland - from Paddy McGongle in the Milk Cup to Dessie Currie in the Victory Shield, then Paul Kee u/17s to Steve Beadlehole u/19s 21s and Nigel himself.

Shane has so much respect for all these men, and rightfully so, all topmen.

Shane loves to play for N Ireland and always has done.

So donaghy I dont know what you will make of this? I would appricate a comment after you have read this.

Thanks

Brian

post Today, 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Coachers @ Feb 22 2010, 01:33 PM) *
    Hi Duffs,

Seems to be a lot of speculation going on around what is happening with Shane after being selected for the Albania game.

Can you enlighten us? Has he really made the decision to switch from what on the surface appears to be a general misunderstanding that Everton should take a lot of the blame for?

hi coachers
    shane did make his decision and yes he has declared for the rep,as i have said in my last post the choice was his,
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    If Duffy was so keen to play for the Republic Worthington wouldn't have been able to persuade him otherwise at all.
    Things are never that simple. He was evidently torn by the decision and it's only now, perhaps after long consultation, that he has made a conclusive decision. This kind of thing may have been wrecking his head for years. Who knows? As is the usually the case though, the knee-jerk reactions come, almost always without much facts to adequately substantiate the outrage. I understand the disappointment at losing such a prospect, but Duffy was 100% eligible (by Northern Ireland fans' estimation - having countless Republic connections) to change his mind. As Worthington said, the decision may disappoint, but it is one which must ultimately be respected.

In future I hope the IFA make players declare before we waste our time and effort on players who want to go elsewhere. Ask them before we bother, if they say no then that's it, they're done. For good. Even if the FAI don't want them, I'm not interested in players who don't want to play for us.
    Again, it's never that simple. Do you honestly expect a child (because that's what they are really) to make a mature, informed decision which will affect the rest of their careers, at such a young age? If you did so, you'd probably let the children be, perhaps unfairly, swayed by the desires of their parents or peers. Duffy has made the decision at 18. As the NI legend that is Gather Round has said, perhaps 18 is the best cut-off point.

I don't care that he gave his all in the youth teams. Him giving his all was negated when he effectively shafted us by switching allegiance. Good riddance.
    Yes, he scored some crucial goals and prevented them for the youth teams, but that kind of commitment is just forgotten now. I think it should be respected.

I'm glad you're saying good riddance however, since that means you'll forget about it now and we can move on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    So he's switching country because 1. he didn't get to play in a specific match and 2. his club messed up? I have news for the lad, he can't expect to get on every game. It's sour grapes. He's going to have many more games where he's told to warm up and he doesn't get on.

This actually makes it even more pathetic. The lad needs his head felt if he thinks his international career will progress any quicker in the Republic.

Put yourself in our shoes. We put a player through our youth system, and then when we go to reap the benefits of doing that, he gets snatched by another country. Does that not sound RIDICULOUS to you? It makes a mockery of the entire international game. Make no mistake, we have been shafted, and not for the first time.

The FAI must rub their hands with glee knowing that they can just swoop in later and take advantage of the IFA's hard work.

You say 18, whilst I would prefer 16 I would rather have 18 than the carte blanche that the FAI enjoys now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    So he's switching country because 1. he didn't get to play in a specific match and 2. his club messed up? I have news for the lad, he can't expect to get on every game. It's sour grapes. He's going to have many more games where he's told to warm up and he doesn't get on.
    How do we know that? That may not even be the case; perhaps that was merely Duffy's father's interpretation (I realise you're gaining this information from his OWC post). The fact is, we don't know what the player's thoughts are until he comes out and tells us.

The lad needs his head felt if he thinks his international career will progress any quicker in the Republic.
    He turned down a chance for senior international football knowing that he wouldn't get a chance as quickly with the Republic, so it's probably not as 'mercenary' as it would seem.

Put yourself in our shoes. We put a player through our youth system, and then when we go to reap the benefits of doing that, he gets snatched by another country. Does that not sound RIDICULOUS to you? It makes a mockery of the entire international game. Make no mistake, we have been shafted, and not for the first time.

The FAI must rub their hands with glee knowing that they can just swoop in later and take advantage of the IFA's hard work.
    As glib as it may seem, that is simply the case with international football. Sure NI and most other teams have done the same, with Norwood and Dudgeon being recent examples. Now I would sympathise somewhat more with your situation with regard to the likes of Gibson etc.

You say 18, whilst I would prefer 16 I would rather have 18 than the carte blanche that the FAI enjoys now.
    Fair enough. In my opinion, 16 is still quite young.
    Last edited by Predator; 22/02/2010 at 9:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Don't get me started on Gibson.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    Great news!!!

Its tough for some NI fans to accept that this can happen, as that's the way they were brought up (with the divine right to dictate to others what they can do).

Duffy will enjoy playing in the modern European city that is Dublin, where the jackboot of the Orangeman cannot trample over his hopes and dreams
    idiotic post.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

This actually makes it even more pathetic. The lad needs his head felt if he thinks his international career will progress any quicker in the Republic.

Happened to us a few months ago with Shane Lowry. Similar profile - both squad players at top Premiership clubs who probably won't make a significantly breakthrough at club or international level for at least a couple of years, if at all.

Duffy's international prospects will obviously be lower with the Republic, so shouldn't that tell you something about his motives? By all accounts, he was torn.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

You say 18, whilst I would prefer 16 I would rather have 18 than the carte blanche that the FAI enjoys now.[/QUOTE]

Something similar happened us with Shane Lowry (not Irish born) recently so we know what it's like to lose players that we've invested in from youth level upwards- like I said earlier I think its only a matter of time that we'll also have Irish born players declaring for the country of their parents birth.

Also it was the player who made the decision , I dont think the FAI were on a mission to make him switch.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A minute too late, lad

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    A minute too late, lad
    Was trying to think of who else did it........Neil Kilkenny.....but he hardly merited mention!!
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Why now? why not when he was 16? why did he have to wait until he was 18??

Jaysus, if FIFA have just shifted the age of final decision from 21 years to infinity, just how do the sharp folk from the OWC think they can pull it back to 16. What kind of cloud cuckoo land do they inhabit?

Looks like along with the IFA,, their manager and much of the Norn iron supporters, cannot even sincerely respect why a NI born player might want to declare for the representative team of his nationality.
    Instead the manager blames the system that allows it
    I'd say its pretty obvious that Duffy has expressed reservations on a number of occasions about his international future with NI since at least before that Italian game.

Kane and O'Connor went back to the IFA with the blessing of their FAI manager who respected their decisions.

"We can't behave like crocodiles and cry over spilled milk and broken eggs."
    Trap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Not sure why Worthington was crying about Duffy's decision this evening, he seems happy enough to pick England u17 internationals like Oliver Norwood when he can get them.

Welcome Shane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Was trying to think of who else did it........Neil Kilkenny.....but he hardly merited mention!!

Sorry mate, I'd mentioned him a couple of pages back already!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Why now? why not when he was 16? why did he have to wait until he was 18??

Jaysus, if FIFA have just shifted the age of final decision from 21 years to infinity, just how do the sharp folk from the OWC think they can pull it back to 16. What kind of cloud cuckoo land do they inhabit?

Looks like along with the IFA,, their manager and much of the Norn iron supporters, cannot even sincerely respect why a NI born player might want to declare for the representative team of his nationality.
    Instead the manager blames the system that allows it
    I'd say its pretty obvious that Duffy has expressed reservations on a number of occasions about his international future with NI since at least before that Italian game.

Kane and O'Connor went back to the IFA with the blessing of their FAI manager who respected their decisions.

"We can't behave like crocodiles and cry over spilled milk and broken eggs."
    Trap

They ARE respected. Just not when they mess us about like Duffy has done.

If you can't grasp that then I despair.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    This whole area is such a mess. It's difficult for young kids to make these decisions.

If you listen to James McCarthy his position seems to be "Ireland asked me to play for them, I'm happy with how I've been treated and will so will continue to play for them." If you're Scottish that probably sounds plain weird.

I guess the NI lads especially the Derry boys are making decision more along political & cultural lines.

Either way, there is an easy solution for NI. When you're mathematically eliminated from qualifying ( often pretty early in the group ) cap all your best under-age prospects so you lock them in.

Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast