Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263
Results 1,241 to 1,255 of 1255

Thread: Shane Duffy (D Brighton (loaned to Celtic) b.1992)

  1. #1241
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    207
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    65
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Maybe he doesn't suit the centre of a back 3. Egan plays that role week in week out. Duffy may be more comfortable on the right. He didn't look too comfortable in a back 4 with Ireland against weak enough opposition in Kenny's first few games. He was exposed late on last night when Celtic had 4 at the back. It could be a case that Duffy can be a bit loose no matter what formation he's in and needs more midfield protection. I don't think we can be certain one way or the other at the moment.
    Can’t disagree with most of that. I am willing to write off the late 3rd last night as simply chasing the game. Of course there are other variable that could’ve been the reason for his struggles, Matt Doherty or Seamus Coleman would certainly offer more protection that Jeremie Frimpong and Scott Brown who would be the primary midfielder protector is past it (although I don’t think Ireland have anyone greatly suited to this either).

    So I admit there are no certainties but my strong feeling is that it just won’t work for him.

  2. #1242
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,908
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,654
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,679
    Thanked in
    1,828 Posts
    My 2c+ opinion is apart from Welsh's and Duffy's deficiencies, that back 3 were also exposed because Celtic (like us) were weak in midfield.
    Ntcham was wandering about, then decidely not bothering to run with the first goalscorer Krunic, who ran through an acre of space and got between the 2 CHs to head the first goal. Brown was a passenger rather than the midfield enforcer, as soon he was replaced things improved further.
    I think we have the same but different midfield deficiencies which mitigate against us using the 3 at the back, 2 will do with a more solid cm

  3. #1243
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,908
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,654
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,679
    Thanked in
    1,828 Posts
    Ironic, that despite the high pitched whiny wailings from some deluded, other self appointed experts of the game, about Duffy's loan move north to Celtic, that due to the lower standard of the EPL he would become a glue trap for sloppy mistakes, which would become part and parcel of his game, therefore Ireland would suffer even greater ignominy in future.

    News flash to those people, Duffy ain't even up the SPL standard of defending, some 99.99% of Celtic fans would probably swap him for Rafael Schidt.
    Personally I wouldn't, but I can understand if people in their current state of deep despair would opine that even Schidt's defensive air wafted a bit cleaner.

  4. #1244
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    549
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Can’t disagree with most of that. I am willing to write off the late 3rd last night as simply chasing the game. Of course there are other variable that could’ve been the reason for his struggles, Matt Doherty or Seamus Coleman would certainly offer more protection that Jeremie Frimpong and Scott Brown who would be the primary midfielder protector is past it (although I don’t think Ireland have anyone greatly suited to this either).

    So I admit there are no certainties but my strong feeling is that it just won’t work for him.
    agree in a back 3 on the right or left of the sweeper Egan

  5. #1245
    First Team
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,446
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    101
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    180
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Ironic, that despite the high pitched whiny wailings from some deluded, other self appointed experts of the game, about Duffy's loan move north to Celtic, that due to the lower standard of the EPL he would become a glue trap for sloppy mistakes, which would become part and parcel of his game, therefore Ireland would suffer even greater ignominy in future.

    News flash to those people, Duffy ain't even up the SPL standard of defending, some 99.99% of Celtic fans would probably swap him for Rafael Schidt.
    Personally I wouldn't, but I can understand if people in their current state of deep despair would opine that even Schidt's defensive air wafted a bit cleaner.
    Yet he has made a decent career for himself playing for teams at either the top end of the Championship or lower reaches of the Premiership. Even ignoring the Premiership most of the teams he would have faced in the Championship would have better strikers than the majority of teams in the SPL. The top teams I would argue would have better strikers than any in the SPL.

    Maybe he has just gone to the dogs over the last year or so.
    Last edited by youngirish; 25/10/2020 at 10:53 PM.

  6. #1246
    Suspended
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    15,347
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,057
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    893
    Thanked in
    718 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Ironic, that despite the high pitched whiny wailings from some deluded, other self appointed experts of the game, about Duffy's loan move north to Celtic, that due to the lower standard of the EPL he would become a glue trap for sloppy mistakes, which would become part and parcel of his game, therefore Ireland would suffer even greater ignominy in future.

    You've become very introspective during lockdown

  7. #1247
    Seasoned Pro jbyrne's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    3,178
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    552
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    714
    Thanked in
    443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    News flash to those people, Duffy ain't even up the SPL standard of defending, some 99.99% of Celtic fans would probably swap him for Rafael Schidt.
    wow.. not even 10 apearances into his celtic career yet they have written him off. his first few appearances were very decent even chipping in with a couple of goals.

    duffy has nothing to prove to such fans after performing very well for us over the years facing far better than the spl has to offer. its a poor celtic team he has joined with dreadful organisation and shape

  8. #1248
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,584
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,335
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    409
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Why did Celtic bring back Neil Lennon from football management death ? ?

  9. #1249
    Seasoned Pro CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,990
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,012
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    754
    Thanked in
    497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Why did Celtic bring back Neil Lennon from football management death ? ?
    Same reason we brought MickMack back ? The faraway fuzzy glow of past glories seanfhear

  10. #1250
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,584
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,335
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    409
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Same reason we brought MickMack back ? The faraway fuzzy glow of past glories seanfhear
    Aaaarrrgghhh !

  11. #1251
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    960
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    42
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    265
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Why did Celtic bring back Neil Lennon from football management death ? ?
    They wanted a cheap option and a yes man after Rodgers came with a big wage and put a lot of pressure on the board to invest (eventually leaving when they wouldn't match his ambition). They knew Lennon, coming from where he was on the management scrapheap having been mutually consented by Hibs, would be in no position to put pressure on the board to invest.

    They have no real European ambitions at board level and they thought that "10 in a row" was a formality and any manager would finish the job.

    Their January transfer window should be fun. (Although not if you're a young squad player trying to break into the team).
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  12. #1252
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,584
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,335
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    409
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    They wanted a cheap option and a yes man after Rodgers came with a big wage and put a lot of pressure on the board to invest (eventually leaving when they wouldn't match his ambition). They knew Lennon, coming from where he was on the management scrapheap having been mutually consented by Hibs, would be in no position to put pressure on the board to invest.

    They have no real European ambitions at board level and they thought that "10 in a row" was a formality and any manager would finish the job.

    Their January transfer window should be fun. (Although not if you're a young squad player trying to break into the team).
    If Celtic are still in Contention for the 10 in a row !

  13. #1253
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,387
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,091
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,021
    Thanked in
    2,270 Posts
    Duffy was undoubtedly poor again yesterday although I kind of felt for him for the goal he was directly at fault for - as it was motivated by trying to keep the ball in play in order to allow the team chase a goal. For the life of me I can't see how he wasn't penalised for a foul immediately before Griffiths' goal. Ntcham's foul was brain dead and McGregor actually committed multiple stupid fouls in dangerous areas just before the penalty, which was so dumb you'd almost want to check his bank account for evidence of match fixing.

  14. #1254
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    549
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Aaaarrrgghhh !
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Same reason we brought MickMack back ? The faraway fuzzy glow of past glories seanfhear
    same reason Ireland gave Trap a lot of money for a muck tenure. Luxury and all the cosequences of his bad management we are still paying with the national team

  15. #1255
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    207
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    65
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I feel for Duffy in that I think he could
    do with some rotation he has went from not really playing to having 6 matches in a fortnight(?) for club and country.

  16. Thanks From:


Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Similar Threads

  1. Jayson Molumby (M Brighton b.1999)
    By liamoo11 in forum Ireland
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 21/11/2020, 5:46 PM
  2. Replies: 83
    Last Post: 24/10/2020, 6:03 PM
  3. RTE: Duffy on target as Brighton dispatch Norwich
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02/11/2019, 5:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01/12/2018, 6:20 PM
  5. Shane Duffy
    By Charlie Darwin in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22/05/2010, 7:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •