Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1387

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Maybe he doesn't suit the centre of a back 3. Egan plays that role week in week out. Duffy may be more comfortable on the right. He didn't look too comfortable in a back 4 with Ireland against weak enough opposition in Kenny's first few games. He was exposed late on last night when Celtic had 4 at the back. It could be a case that Duffy can be a bit loose no matter what formation he's in and needs more midfield protection. I don't think we can be certain one way or the other at the moment.
    Can’t disagree with most of that. I am willing to write off the late 3rd last night as simply chasing the game. Of course there are other variable that could’ve been the reason for his struggles, Matt Doherty or Seamus Coleman would certainly offer more protection that Jeremie Frimpong and Scott Brown who would be the primary midfielder protector is past it (although I don’t think Ireland have anyone greatly suited to this either).

So I admit there are no certainties but my strong feeling is that it just won’t work for him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    My 2c+ opinion is apart from Welsh's and Duffy's deficiencies, that back 3 were also exposed because Celtic (like us) were weak in midfield.
    Ntcham was wandering about, then decidely not bothering to run with the first goalscorer Krunic, who ran through an acre of space and got between the 2 CHs to head the first goal. Brown was a passenger rather than the midfield enforcer, as soon he was replaced things improved further.
    I think we have the same but different midfield deficiencies which mitigate against us using the 3 at the back, 2 will do with a more solid cm

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Ironic, that despite the high pitched whiny wailings from some deluded, other self appointed experts of the game, about Duffy's loan move north to Celtic, that due to the lower standard of the EPL he would become a glue trap for sloppy mistakes, which would become part and parcel of his game, therefore Ireland would suffer even greater ignominy in future.

News flash to those people, Duffy ain't even up the SPL standard of defending, some 99.99% of Celtic fans would probably swap him for Rafael Schidt.
    Personally I wouldn't, but I can understand if people in their current state of deep despair would opine that even Schidt's defensive air wafted a bit cleaner.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Can’t disagree with most of that. I am willing to write off the late 3rd last night as simply chasing the game. Of course there are other variable that could’ve been the reason for his struggles, Matt Doherty or Seamus Coleman would certainly offer more protection that Jeremie Frimpong and Scott Brown who would be the primary midfielder protector is past it (although I don’t think Ireland have anyone greatly suited to this either).

So I admit there are no certainties but my strong feeling is that it just won’t work for him.
    agree in a back 3 on the right or left of the sweeper Egan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Ironic, that despite the high pitched whiny wailings from some deluded, other self appointed experts of the game, about Duffy's loan move north to Celtic, that due to the lower standard of the EPL he would become a glue trap for sloppy mistakes, which would become part and parcel of his game, therefore Ireland would suffer even greater ignominy in future.

News flash to those people, Duffy ain't even up the SPL standard of defending, some 99.99% of Celtic fans would probably swap him for Rafael Schidt.
    Personally I wouldn't, but I can understand if people in their current state of deep despair would opine that even Schidt's defensive air wafted a bit cleaner.
    Yet he has made a decent career for himself playing for teams at either the top end of the Championship or lower reaches of the Premiership. Even ignoring the Premiership most of the teams he would have faced in the Championship would have better strikers than the majority of teams in the SPL. The top teams I would argue would have better strikers than any in the SPL.

Maybe he has just gone to the dogs over the last year or so.
    Last edited by youngirish; 25/10/2020 at 10:53 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

You've become very introspective during lockdown
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    wow.. not even 10 apearances into his celtic career yet they have written him off. his first few appearances were very decent even chipping in with a couple of goals.

duffy has nothing to prove to such fans after performing very well for us over the years facing far better than the spl has to offer. its a poor celtic team he has joined with dreadful organisation and shape

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Why did Celtic bring back Neil Lennon from football management death ? ?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Same reason we brought MickMack back ? The faraway fuzzy glow of past glories seanfhear

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Same reason we brought MickMack back ? The faraway fuzzy glow of past glories seanfhear
    Aaaarrrgghhh !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    They wanted a cheap option and a yes man after Rodgers came with a big wage and put a lot of pressure on the board to invest (eventually leaving when they wouldn't match his ambition). They knew Lennon, coming from where he was on the management scrapheap having been mutually consented by Hibs, would be in no position to put pressure on the board to invest.

They have no real European ambitions at board level and they thought that "10 in a row" was a formality and any manager would finish the job.

Their January transfer window should be fun. (Although not if you're a young squad player trying to break into the team).
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    They wanted a cheap option and a yes man after Rodgers came with a big wage and put a lot of pressure on the board to invest (eventually leaving when they wouldn't match his ambition). They knew Lennon, coming from where he was on the management scrapheap having been mutually consented by Hibs, would be in no position to put pressure on the board to invest.

They have no real European ambitions at board level and they thought that "10 in a row" was a formality and any manager would finish the job.

Their January transfer window should be fun. (Although not if you're a young squad player trying to break into the team).
    If Celtic are still in Contention for the 10 in a row !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Duffy was undoubtedly poor again yesterday although I kind of felt for him for the goal he was directly at fault for - as it was motivated by trying to keep the ball in play in order to allow the team chase a goal. For the life of me I can't see how he wasn't penalised for a foul immediately before Griffiths' goal. Ntcham's foul was brain dead and McGregor actually committed multiple stupid fouls in dangerous areas just before the penalty, which was so dumb you'd almost want to check his bank account for evidence of match fixing.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Aaaarrrgghhh !
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    same reason Ireland gave Trap a lot of money for a muck tenure. Luxury and all the cosequences of his bad management we are still paying with the national team

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I feel for Duffy in that I think he could
    do with some rotation he has went from not really playing to having 6 matches in a fortnight(?) for club and country.

16. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Starts today away to Burnley. I'm pleased for the guy as he's always given his all for Ireland, and I really hope he finds his way back into a regular starting spot. I think most of us had written off his career.

18. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Great game from Duffy here in a 2-1 win away to Burnley to start the season. From everything I've heard, his season at Celtic couldn't have gone worse, but he looked like a solid Premier League player today, particularly against the aerial offensive from Burnley. Must start in the upcoming qualifiers.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Certainly, given how the Portugal game is likely to be pretty much mass defence from us, if he's in form you would want him in there for a backs to the wall 90 minute effort.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Overall a very good day at the office for our players

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Man of the match and hailed as "immense" by Potter. Class.

25. Thanks From:

Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast