Correct! St Mirren and Bulgaria two terrible teams

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Look at the state of that defending..
    I don’t think St Mirren knew that Duffy had signed for Celtic yet ! !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Look at the state of that defending..
    Maybe a late stage career transition to a striker is in order. We can play him as the big target man upfront with Obafemi or Connolly feeding off him. Added bonus, we don't have to worry about his distribution from the back anymore.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    he's (Lennon) shopping in the bargain aisle most of the time, it's EPL reserves and unknown punts from around Europe that are being brought in,
    And isn't that where Shane Duffy comes into Celtic's picture? he's available to play for Celtic because he's not good enough to play for a bottom team in the EPL.
    Even Ajer is a much better footballer than him, but Duffy in a sweeper type role adds the much needed grit to allow Celtic play (in theory) a 3 5 2.

Just how deluded are irish fans about the versatile football talents of some of our central defenders?
    Gary Breen's delusion is that he thinks Duffy would be playing in the EPL, even though no team wants him.
    Therefore Duffy, instead of benchwarming some EPL club, will pick all those bad habits that VVD supposedly did at Celtic, bad habits that Gary diligently noticed VVD did not have at Groningen.
    Such a perfect talent at Groningen that no other Eredevisie club wanted him . And then all of sudden after VVD exited Celtic, he cleaned up most of the accumulated bad Celtic habits after a few games in the EPL and became Southampton's player of the year in his first season there.
    And to think some irish fans swallow that, hook line and sinker.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    And isn't that where Shane Duffy comes into Celtic's picture? he's available to play for Celtic because he's not good enough to play for a bottom team in the EPL.
    Even Ajer is a much better footballer than him, but Duffy in a sweeper type role adds the much needed grit to allow Celtic play (in theory) a 3 5 2.

Just how deluded are irish fans about the versatile football talents of some of our central defenders?
    Gary Breen's delusion is that he thinks Duffy would be playing in the EPL, even though no team wants him.
    West Ham wanted him and he had a choice as to where to go. Shane Duffy was available to Celtic because Duffy was a huge Celtic fan and more importantly, his father was a huge Celtic fan and with his death, it’s something Shane wanted to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Maybe a late stage career transition to a striker is in order. We can play him as the big target man upfront with Obafemi or Connolly feeding off him. Added bonus, we don't have to worry about his distribution from the back anymore.
    We've been crying out for a new Gary Doherty for years. Then it lands on your lap.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    We've been crying out for a new Gary Doherty for years. Then it lands on your lap.
    Which modern International team worth their salt is not crying out for a new Gary Doherty?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Oh dear.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Joking aside, Germany had an absolutely rubbish 2018 WC, embarassingly bad. But count back how many easy headed chances they missed at key moments in key games, from 6-10 yards in front of goal (Gomez and Hummels key culprits I think). Had any of them gone in they'd have been game changers. We're not even talking about having a Klose or even Andy Carroll here. Doc would have done the job, no problem. Although my ability to recall football facts or opinions has diminished massively in recent years I am almost sure I commented at the time that despite Germany's apparent decline, there was nothing wrong that a good old fashioned 9 wouldn't have proved a short term fix for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Duffy on speaking to Kenny about the move and Breen's comments - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40050707.html

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Joking aside, Germany had an absolutely rubbish 2018 WC, embarassingly bad. But count back how many easy headed chances they missed at key moments in key games, from 6-10 yards in front of goal (Gomez and Hummels key culprits I think). Had any of them gone in they'd have been game changers. We're not even talking about having a Klose or even Andy Carroll here. Doc would have done the job, no problem. Although my ability to recall football facts or opinions has diminished massively in recent years I am almost sure I commented at the time that despite Germany's apparent decline, there was nothing wrong that a good old fashioned 9 wouldn't have proved a short term fix for.
    I'm all for a big, strong target man up front. They cause chaos around the opposition's penalty box. However they have to be decent with the ball at their feet and be able to play a bit like Quinn and Crouch. Wasn't Doherty more in the Tony Cascarino, Carsten Jancker mould? I remember watching Cascarino in a World Cup qualifier at Lansdowne Road, prior to the 1990 World Cup and it seemed that every time the ball came to his feet he either knocked it out of play or fell over it.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/09/2020 at 6:22 PM.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Motherwell drawing with Colraine after 90 mins tonight. Speaks volumes about the SPL

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Motherwell drawing with Colraine after 90 mins tonight. Speaks volumes about the SPL
    And they're one of the better sides - finished third last season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    They're struggling this season though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Duffy was pretty bad in a very bad Celtic performance losing 2-0 to Rangers at Celtic Park.

I watched some of it. Duffy put some long balls out of play ~ at least 3 in the time I was looking at it. He also played the Rangers scorer onside by dropping back marginally too soon on a free kick. A bit unlucky (maybe ) on the second goal as he blocked it but it fell opportune for the scorer.

Very Very Very Poor from Celtic and Duffy was also very poor in the game.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Duffy was pretty bad in a very bad Celtic performance losing 2-0 to Rangers at Celtic Park.

I watched some of it. Duffy put some long balls out of play ~ at least 3 in the time I was looking at it. He also played the Rangers scorer onside by dropping back marginally too soon on a free kick. A bit unlucky (maybe ) on the second goal as he blocked it but it fell opportune for the scorer.

Very Very Very Poor from Celtic and Duffy was also very poor in the game.
    2nd wsnt his fault at all,
    Actually he blocked the sure goal, and the blonde dude next to him just stays there like an idiot, dont know his name is, but didnt help on the second ball. Lee oconnor should play for the celts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    As full back? Jeremie Frimpong is a super player. He had his first poor game for Celtic in Saturday. The whole team were brutal.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Think Lennon was prioritising the Europa League game against Milan on Thursday. Celtic aren't in a bad position, four points behind Rangers with a game in hand, and that was the worst they've played this season, so they can only improve from that performance.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Hmm, not prioritrising an Old Firm game sounds a bit fanciful to me!

Duffy was poor no doubt, especially his long passing, but Celtic reminded me of Ireland a bit. Celtic CBs would have the ball and any of the accomplished ball users would run away.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Hmm, not prioritrising an Old Firm game sounds a bit fanciful to me!

Duffy was poor no doubt, especially his long passing, but Celtic reminded me of Ireland a bit. Celtic CBs would have the ball and any of the accomplished ball users would run away.
    Especially in the year of the Possible Magic 10 or anytime for that matter.

Celtic were bad ~ ~ I’d rechecking that team for a virus if they were a Stable of Horses ?

27. Thanks From:

Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast