Page 58 of 70 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1390

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Playing two CL qualifying games before getting knocked out and then smashing SPL teams for the year is not a higher level than the Premier League.

He's better than the SPL and playing in the Premier League every week is much better for his performance than playing for Celtic.
    They qualify for the group stages fairly regularly, and even when they drop into the Europa League they often go on a decent run. They beat Lazio twice in that competition as recently as last season. We're talking about a player who's surplus to requirements at Brighton here.

The second part sounds right on paper, I'm just not sure it stands up to much scrutiny. Playing for Celtic didn't harm the international career of Mikael Lustig, to take a recent example of a not too dissimilar player performing for a comparable international side.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 12/08/2020 at 8:20 AM. Reason: add quote

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Playing in the EPL is obviously a hgher standard than the SPL, i.e. if he gets regular EPL first team football, otherwise there's a good case for SPL and the 16 or so european competitive games.

Celtic are in need of a centre half like Shane who will not be bullied, but such a move isn't on the table is it?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    My first reaction to WBA & Duffy is, yeah, that could work.
    My first reaction to West Ham & Duffy is thank god WBA are in because otherwise Peamount United under 8s would be a less doomed proposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Talk of a loan move to Celtic alright this morning. Originated in the Daily Mail though I think so won't bother linking.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Talk of a loan move to Celtic alright this morning. Originated in the Daily Mail though I think so won't bother linking.
    The thanks is for not linking the Daily Hate.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Really poor move if true considering they're already out of the Champions League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think we'd all like to see him play at a higher level than the SPL.

But from Duffy's perspective, he's 28, has no trophies to show for it, and maybe he thinks going to Celtic could be the best chance of silverware he'll ever get. Hopefully Europa League involvement too.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    He will regret his decision within two months, he will be away to Ross county or the like and realize that the same day Brighton are away to Man utd or the like and think... ok f**k

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    If they fail to qualify for the Europa League it'll be an even worse move.

Can understand someone wanting a bit of silverware, but this is a disastrous move for his Ireland ambitions. Egan and Clark playing regularly in the Premier League will put him down the pecking order surely.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Duffy is a huge Celtic fan. Don't under estimate the pull of being part of the 10 in a row winning team for him. People can dismiss it as much as they like but for fans of the club it's a huge deal

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He will regret his decision within two months, he will be away to Ross county or the like and realize that the same day Brighton are away to Man utd or the like and think... ok f**k
    ah yes, but who wouldn't want to be part of a push for 10 titles in a row in a 2 team league where the main opposition were in lower divisions for a few of those campaigns??!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    ah yes, but who wouldn't want to be part of a push for 10 titles in a row in a 2 team league where the main opposition were in lower divisions for a few of those campaigns??!
    As I said, easy to dismiss for non fans.....

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    As I said, easy to dismiss for non fans.....
    Its in play definitely, a lad from Derry, ten in a row, bound to be. FWIW, Duffy will be Duffy whatever club colours he wears he'll bring the same qualities and failings IMO

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Well staying at Brighton is surely the worst option, watching their games from the stands for another season! I know I've used the example before, but playing for years in the SPL didn't seem to harm the likes of Mikael Lustig's international career. Bit of a needless concern that he'll turn into a lesser player on the back of this move I think. Whether he should be an automatic starter for us anyway is probably a wider debate, but it's his shirt to lose I guess.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    But doesn't he play 20 games a season anyway with Brighton. So I mean that's better then the spl. Obviously he should go to the hammers or west brom if possible

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Heading for a dire league that hasn't provided a quality player to the Ireland team since the early days of Jack Charlton. And yes I'm aware of McGeady and McCarthy. McCarthy has spent most of his career in England anyway.

If you wanted to develop your career and improve as a player why would anybody move to Celtic except for an easy pay day?

It must be hard when you're used to playing against strikers like Billy McKay and Nicky Clark and winning 3-0 week in, week out, switching into gear for a competitive International game where you are under the cosh against top class strikers. If O'Shea and Egan are starting regularly in the Premiership this coming season and doing ok for their respective clubs then they must be given first nod over him for Ireland even if O'Shea is mostly playing at right back.
    Last edited by youngirish; 31/08/2020 at 3:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Its in play definitely, a lad from Derry, ten in a row, bound to be. FWIW, Duffy will be Duffy whatever club colours he wears he'll bring the same qualities and failings IMO
    he wont be regularly testing himself against strikers in even remotely the same level as he would with an EPL team.
    even if its just a single season he will be almost 30 at the end of it. Cant see either brighton or another EPL team coming looking for him at that stage.
    a very poor move it it happens.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    But doesn't he play 20 games a season anyway with Brighton. So I mean that's better then the spl. Obviously he should go to the hammers or west brom if possible
    Well he played a good few games last season before he fell fully out of favour. I don't think he'd be getting anything near that this time, especially as they're negotiating a new deal to keep Ben White.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Duffy is a huge Celtic fan. Don't under estimate the pull of being part of the 10 in a row winning team for him. People can dismiss it as much as they like but for fans of the club it's a huge deal
    This is it in a nutshell. I stated on this thread about a fortnight ago that he will go to Celtic.

People saying awful move at the age perhaps Shane realises that he is now 28 and the chance to fulfil his boyhood footballing dream is there on the table. Shane is and has been pushing for this move.

it will likely do his international career little harm in truth. Kristoffer Ajer is Norway captain. Going back a fair few years Andreas Hinkel was a regular in Germany squads. No shortage of other examples.

Anyway the move will be announced and Shane unveiled very shortly.

28. Thanks From:

Page 58 of 70 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast