Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Kerr appointed Faroe Islands manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He was not a great Ireland manager that's rubbish. He was a bottler and I don't rate him.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Most successful under age Irish manager ever.

And did a damn sight better with the senior team than stan, left in bad circumstances but I think he had lost the dressing room by the end of this term. His final game at home to the Swiss was one of the most inept and passionless (if there is such a word) Irish performances in a long long time. A win wouldve got us at least a playoff i think and we never looked like it that night, in fact Frei shouldve won the game for the Swiss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I really really hope we don't draw them next time round.

I think he was a good manager for Ireland. He may well have got us to Germany had John Delaney not being appointed CEO between Autumn 2004 and Spring 2005. Kerr seemed paralysed with fear after that knowing he wasn't Delaney's choice. Then the media paranoia set in.

He would absolutely love to pull one over on us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Agree with the majority of posts wishing him good luck, agree he probably deserves better but fair dues to him for having the guts to give it a go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Wish him all the best!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    A bit of a comedown to be honest, I was always expecting him to go back into LoI management at some point. As people said, I don't think he got a fair crack of the whip as Ireland manager.
    thats rubbish, was two campaigns not enough?

I like Kerr and hope he can do something with the faroes but he was useless with the senior team - unfortunately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    He has let himself down of late with some of thie things he's said in the press but in an ideal world he would of been moved somewhere else within the FAI - He'd be perfect for the U21's job - so he is a loss to Irish football

Hope he does well.....
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    those bloody israel results cost him, it could have been all so different for him otherwise. doomed to the faroes now it seems.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boh_So_Good View Post
    He was a really good Ireland manager and was only disliked because he wasn't British enough for the Ole' Ole' Sheeple and RTEngland, but this is a good job as its not the other side of the world and not too much pressure.
    Is that why they dislike Trapp as well because of his Britishness

"RTEngland" in the form of the panel had the knives out for Jack and Mick as well.

Managers live or die by results no matter where they are from. If Kerr had qualifed us for anything, he would be a hero. He didn't so that was that. Nothing to do with where he was from.

I am not sure how being appointed the manager of one of the worst teams in World football could enhance his career. Staunton went to a job as assistant at Leeds, Kerr to the Faroe Islands. Says it all about the last two managers really.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    He was a really good Ireland manager and was only disliked because he wasn't British enough for the Ole' Ole' Sheeple and RTEngland, but this is a good job as its not the other side of the world and not too much pressure.

Good Luck to him.
    Rubbish, I was delighted when he was appointed and really wanted him to suceed given that he'd come through the LOI.

But the fact is he wasn't up to the job and choked when the pressure was on. He had his chance and only managed 3rd and 4th from positions where the groups were winnable (Beat Russia at home and the swiss away for '04 and we'd have topped the group, hold onto leads away and home against Israel and we'd have topped the '06 group). It had fukk all to do with him not being British enough () or the RTE panel, his results weren't good enough. Some of the performances in big games, particularly the 2 Swiss games to try and make the play offs at the end of each campaign were as bad as anything Stan managed us to. And, had it not been for Shay Given our humiliation in Cyprus would have come 12 months earlier then it did.

I hope he does well for the Faroes but calling him a 'really good Ireland manager' is deranged.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    thats rubbish, was two campaigns not enough?

I like Kerr and hope he can do something with the faroes but he was useless with the senior team - unfortunately
    Well how many campaigns did McCarthy get? I'm not saying that his is the yardstick, but Kerr seemed to get the bums rush when results didn't go the right way. I seem to recall rumblings from the team that they didn't appreciate his methods of coaching & of course famously the FAI tried to bluff about FIFA rankings being a reason for his sacking. No more than mcCarthy though, it was something of a transitional team Kerr inherited (aren't they all I suppose?)

I can't say I was enamoured with his style of football (I alluded to it after the Bulgaria match in the post-match thread), but I think the knives came out for Kerr, unfairly so.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    i think it's awful that people slate Kerr - the guy deserved the job after his achievements with the under-age set up , and delaney replaced him with a world class donkey, i hope he does well

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    Well how many campaigns did McCarthy get? I'm not saying that his is the yardstick, but Kerr seemed to get the bums rush when results didn't go the right way. I seem to recall rumblings from the team that they didn't appreciate his methods of coaching & of course famously the FAI tried to bluff about FIFA rankings being a reason for his sacking. No more than mcCarthy though, it was something of a transitional team Kerr inherited (aren't they all I suppose?)

I can't say I was enamoured with his style of football (I alluded to it after the Bulgaria match in the post-match thread), but I think the knives came out for Kerr, unfairly so.
    McCarthy inherited a team in far more of a transition then Kerr did, Kerr inherited a team that had just got to the 2nd round of the World Cup and been unfortunate to get knocked out of penalties. Add to that the fact that under McCarthy we never finished outside the top 2 in his 2 campaigns (and were incredibly unlucky not to top the '00 group) whereas Kerr came 3rd and 4th. That comparison that was trotted out about the amount of campaigns McCarthy was given never held water, we were going forward each campaign under him, under Kerr we went backwards (3rd then 4th).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    terrible job to take hes better that that, going nowhere in a job like that. only aim is to see how to keep the score down from game to game. pity but wish him well.
    I thought the same. He should have aimed for a middle to lower tier european country if possible - surely he'd be good enough to manage a developing country like Cyprus or one of the eastern european teams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    He has let himself down of late with some of thie things he's said in the press
    agree, just read his piece over the weekend from the IT last thursday and he was coming out with nonsense like the management have not done enough to get ireland and andy obrien back in the squad and that lesser players are taking their place on the international stage... how many times have these lads to be asked to play for their country brian?

was glad when he got the job but many of his results were not good enough and has since been unable to hide his complete bitterness towards the international set-up in a very blinkered way.

good luck to him with the faroes... if he actually manages to beat the fog and land in the place!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good Luck to him.
    ridiculous post, he was given the job because of the huge public support for him after his successes with the underage teams, and deservedly so.

As for being a "really good Ireland manager"? I have only one word for you....Israel

Would have loved to see him back in our underage setup in some way shape or form (u21 manager maybe?) but after the way he split with the FAI that was never gonna happen.

Good luck to him though, I don't envy the job he has in front of him but hopefully he gets a few decent results with them.
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I am not sure how being appointed the manager of one of the worst teams in World football could enhance his career. Staunton went to a job as assistant at Leeds, Kerr to the Faroe Islands. Says it all about the last two managers really.
    I disagree.

The Faroes job is a bit of a queer one to take on the surface, and it is interesting to hear people say a Macedonia or a Latvia would have been a better job - they're right. But, presumably they didn't come calling and the Faroes did, so Brian's taken it.

Bristol City manager Gary Johnson had a spell managing Latvia, which raised some eyebrows at the time, but a couple of good results and bringing players like Marian Pahars through got him a bit of a reputation. He then got into the English leagues, as Kerr said he would like to do after losing the Ireland job.

The Faroes aren't the world of the minnows, and they certainly have battling qualities, if nothing else. Kerr will be a success if he can get them out of the bottom set of seedings for qualification draws, in my eyes.

I don't think it is fair to say that Staunton worked as assistant manager at Leeds because of the repuation he built up as Ireland manager. It helped that he is well known in England, and it certainly helped that his friend Gary McAllister happened to be the one bringing him into the role.

In England, Kerr has no reputation, and I would imagine, few contacts as strong as Stan had. I'm unable to comment on why he didn't get a job back in the League of Ireland as I don't know much about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    i think cork city's owners wanted to bring him in after before doolin took over. he was in talks i believe but didnt go for it. i suppose if you want to get back into football you gotten take whats on offer.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I wish him the best.

He was doomed once Delaney took over. There's probably an arguement about results, and I doubt anyone would've had much complaint if someone decent had taken over, but then Delaney hand picked Stan. The behaviour of some of the senior players during Kerrs time was a disgrace, especially as it involved actually doing a professional job rather than the couple of days with the lads they craved. They share as much responsibility for that last campaign going out with a whimper as Kerr does.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Rubbish, I was delighted when he was appointed and really wanted him to suceed given that he'd come through the LOI.

But the fact is he wasn't up to the job and choked when the pressure was on. He had his chance and only managed 3rd and 4th from positions where the groups were winnable (Beat Russia at home and the swiss away for '04 and we'd have topped the group, hold onto leads away and home against Israel and we'd have topped the '06 group). It had fukk all to do with him not being British enough () or the RTE panel, his results weren't good enough. Some of the performances in big games, particularly the 2 Swiss games to try and make the play offs at the end of each campaign were as bad as anything Stan managed us to. And, had it not been for Shay Given our humiliation in Cyprus would have come 12 months earlier then it did.

I hope he does well for the Faroes but calling him a 'really good Ireland manager' is deranged.
    agree 100% - he was not up to the senior job - but like every1 else , i wish the man well

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast